• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gnarliest trails

SilentCal

The Link section that is mentioned is brutal. Be prepared to add extra time on your hike. I just when up Six Husbands a week ago. Treadway is getting torn up a bit in spots due to the their being no trail adopter to do routine stuff. However, it's a awesome ascent route that requires a little bit of thinking in two spots. Someone with a fear of heights may have trouble in some areas. Scenery though is 5-star from this trail.

gwags

After starting this thread, 2 weeks ago, I hiked Huntington and I have to say it beats the other stuff I have done. I look forward to checking out the other stuff people have mentioned. Thanks.

feldmrschl

Website
www.kenware.com
Huntington is indeed quite gnarly. The old 24th edition of the White Mountain Guide starts the trail description with:

"Caution: This is the most difficult trail in the White Mountains."

However, I've thoroughly enjoyed myself the two times I've climbed up there.

ChileMass

David Metzky mentioned the Great Gully trail before, and based on the description in the WMG, I really want to try it. Anyone got any personal experience with it?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Tripyramid North Slide was just not to my liking. A bit too steep and exposed. King Ravine is the only other thing that really threw me a loop....that trail I just got lost in the basin of the ravine...

feldmrschl

Website
www.kenware.com
Tripyramid North Slide was just not to my liking. A bit too steep and exposed. King Ravine is the only other thing that really threw me a loop....that trail I just got lost in the basin of the ravine...

I didn't mind the Slide so much, but that was probably b/c I had just had the creepiest moment I've ever encountered hiking.

I was hiking solo and was in the greenery at the point where the trail curves at its northernmost point. Knowing that the slide was coming up, I decided to take a rest and have a snack. Well, the foliage in the area really closes in on the trail and, while I was resting, I had a sense of something watching me from the woods. Meanwhile, there were no birds around, the air was deathly still and visibility into the surrounding woods was minimal.

So, I did what any red-blooded American he-man would do. I hurriedly packed my snack and bolted for the slide. Once I hit the slide, I scrambled like a man possessed and didn't stop until I about halfway up.

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
The King Ravine trail Subway goes over, under, and around many massive boulders. It's a great scramble if you like scrambles, lots of places to explore. The Elevated route avoids the rock field. The Ice Caves loop is similar to the Subway. In addition to the headwall, that's the biggest draw of King Ravine to me.

Great Gully is much more wild, but not terribly difficult. In places it feels more like a route than a trail, with more loose and unconsoldiated rocks. There's one tricky place where you have to get around this overhanging rock; some folks take their packs off for this.

Another "minor" trail that people should try is Ice Gulch, north of Rt 2 in Randolph. Great scrambling and ice until August. For a more serious version of that type of terrain, Mahoosuc Notch is the classic. It's not called "The Hardest Mile on the AT" for nothing.

-dave-

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
feldmrschl Wrote:
I didn't mind the Slide so much, but that was probably b/c I had just had the creepiest moment I've ever encountered hiking.

I was hiking solo and was in the greenery at the point where the trail curves at its northernmost point. Knowing that the slide was coming up, I decided to take a rest and have a snack. Well, the foliage in the area really closes in on the trail and, while I was resting, I had a sense of something watching me from the woods. Meanwhile, there were no birds around, the air was deathly still and visibility into the surrounding woods was minimal.

So, I did what any red-blooded American he-man would do. I hurriedly packed my snack and bolted for the slide. Once I hit the slide, I scrambled like a man possessed and didn't stop until I about halfway up.

Maybe something was watching you...very closely...

20050923011905_20050926-mountain-lion-2.jpg

Mike P.

Wait a minute, no he-man would admit to being scared, even on the www, Have you ever stopped for directions too?

OR

No wonder I like stopping where the views are good, nothing can sneak up on you!

Have done & likely Huntington, the Slides on the Tri's & Flume Slide, Hopefully in the next year or two I can find my way up 6H, Great Gulf, Great Gully, KR, Castle Ravine & someday M-Notch

FridayHiker

Our kids are at the age where they like the scramble hikes, but they're also a bit short so they need a butt-boost at times. They did the Tripyramid North Slide a few weeks ago and loved it; we came down Scaur Ridge instead of the South Slide since we had biked up to the trailhead and Scaur Ridge made for a shorter walk back to the bikes. We'll surely be hitting most of the other trails mentioned during future summers, hopefully sooner rather than later as I find that the older I get, the more I get a sense of vertigo when I hike the slide or scramble trails. I'd put the North Slide on the list, but not Flume Slide, even when wet (as it was the last time I was up it).

I've done the Caps Ridge to Castle portion of the Link twice. The first time was about 17 years ago, and I found it treacherous, as per the AMC description and the opinions here, and I said "never again!". The second time was last fall. My husband, who hadn't been along on the first hike, included it on a dayhike plan. I rolled my eyes and told him I'd really rather not, but he persisted and I conceded. Funny thing was that we BOTH found it to be much easier than I had recalled, and he was actually giving me a bit of guff for having told him it was difficult. I didn't find the roots or rocks to be that bad, and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. We averaged over 2.5 mph on it, which is only a bit slower than we normally average on the flats.

ChileMass

Our kids are at the age where they like the scramble hikes, but they're also a bit short so they need a butt-boost at times. They did the Tripyramid North Slide a few weeks ago and loved it; we came down Scaur Ridge instead of the South Slide since we had biked up to the trailhead and Scaur Ridge made for a shorter walk back to the bikes. We'll surely be hitting most of the other trails mentioned during future summers, hopefully sooner rather than later as I find that the older I get, the more I get a sense of vertigo when I hike the slide or scramble trails. I'd put the North Slide on the list, but not Flume Slide, even when wet (as it was the last time I was up it).

I've done the Caps Ridge to Castle portion of the Link twice. The first time was about 17 years ago, and I found it treacherous, as per the AMC description and the opinions here, and I said "never again!". The second time was last fall. My husband, who hadn't been along on the first hike, included it on a dayhike plan. I rolled my eyes and told him I'd really rather not, but he persisted and I conceded. Funny thing was that we BOTH found it to be much easier than I had recalled, and he was actually giving me a bit of guff for having told him it was difficult. I didn't find the roots or rocks to be that bad, and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. We averaged over 2.5 mph on it, which is only a bit slower than we normally average on the flats.

Thanks for the info on the Link. I have to try it sometime soon. Glad to hear you brought your kids up Caps Ridge - there are a few scrambles, but in my opinion nothing that kids shouldn't be able to handle with a little adult supervision. I get very frustrated at the resistance I get from the kids in my camping group and their Moms. These kids are all 10-15, not 5 years old. They can handle it, again - with some supervision and guidance.

ChileMass

My kids did Caps Ridge with no problem (and no butt boosting :smile: ) when they were seven. They did need an occasional push on Tripyramid, and based on that I might wait another year or two before we do something like Huntington. They're nine now, but as I said, are very short.

The stuff they HATE is stuff like Liberty -- very boring for kids until you get to the top.

ETA: Boring for adults, too, imho.

Just a green tunnel? That's the description in the WMG and for Greenleaf Trail, too. Sometimes those are fun, especially on a rainy day, but on a sunny day you need a trail with occasional views to keep you motivated. Caps Ridge is great for that - it gets above treeline in only a mile.

FridayHiker

I don't mind Greenleaf. Eagle Pass breaks it up and makes it seem short and interesting.

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
we came down Scaur Ridge instead of the South Slide since we had biked up to the trailhead and Scaur Ridge made for a shorter walk back to the bikes.
I don't know if it matters to you, but if you used bikes on the Livermore Road you can't count those peaks for your 4000'er list application. You'll have to do them again without bikes. This is only an issue if you plan on getting a patch from the 4000'er committee, something I never bothered to do. Livermore road counts as a trail and so has to be hiked, skied, or snowshoed. That's just the way the rules are written.

-dave-

Mike P.

Question for you Dave:

I understand the road & bike thing (if you can't drive it,, you can't bike it so you have to walk Livermore but in summer you could park there, ride your bike on Tripoli Road to the Osceola trailhead, do both Osceolas, descend to Greeeley Pond trail & walk back to your car.)

In my example, can I do that in late November or December when the gate is closed on Tripoli Road. (assuming it was passable by bike, If you X-C ski it, it counts, if not passable by bike.)

FridayHiker

I don't know if it matters to you, but if you used bikes on the Livermore Road you can't count those peaks for your 4000'er list application. You'll have to do them again without bikes. This is only an issue if you plan on getting a patch from the 4000'er committee, something I never bothered to do. Livermore road counts as a trail and so has to be hiked, skied, or snowshoed. That's just the way the rules are written.

-dave-

Thanks, Dave; I'm aware of that, which is why we didn't bother scooting over to bag Middle. If the kids decide they want to complete the list, we'll go back there again and probably just do a Downes or Sabbaday or Pine Bend loop from the Kanc.

When we first started hiking, I used the possibility of earning a patch as an incentive to graduate them to the bigger hikes, so I am keeping track for them of the hikes we've properly completed under the FTF rules, but they seem less interested in the patch aspect than they were a couple of years ago, which is fine. If they want to do a bike/hike day and don't care that they don't get "credit" for whatever they hike, that's fine by me. I only care that they like what they're doing.

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
In my example, can I do that in late November or December when the gate is closed on Tripoli Road. (assuming it was passable by bike, If you X-C ski it, it counts, if not passable by bike.)
If you can't legally drive the road on the day of the hike, you can't use a bike. So no, if the road is gated the day you are there, you have to travel by foot.

FridayHiker said:
I only care that they like what they're doing.
That, my friend, is an excellent attitude. And altitude.

-dave-

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
If you can't legally drive the road on the day of the hike, you can't use a bike. So no, if the road is gated the day you are there, you have to travel by foot.

If Tripoli Road were gated in the middle but the end gates were open, could you bike up to the height-of-land gate, do the hike, then go around the gate and bike down the other side?