• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jeep owners?

bigbog

Jeep, Toyota, LandRover can all accept mods! ..but those LandRover wheelwells = so small(stylish). You're never stuck with the cheap stock components forever. How about a new Jeep or TRD-Pro 4-Runner....rack & box in top, or lightly used Xterra(~08+)<-- have to watch bodyrust. Hardtops will allow you to gain space inside and protect in a rollover. Lots of softtop crash victims sustain bad injuries.
Hardtop w/moonroof = nice.

Last edited:

gmcunni

Close to pulling trigger on a new one. Might chew up my new ski gear budget for the season

Anyone with a jku. Can u remove hard top alone?

buellski

Anyone with a jku. Can u remove hard top alone?

Yes. If you search for it, there is actually a video of a guy that climbs up in his JKU, lifts the top up on his back/shoulders, and then walks it off the Jeep. The top weighs about 105 lbs. If you don't want to injure yourself, get another person. My wife and I have taken the top off of ours on a number of occasions when we're out of town. If you have a garage, you can always get or make your own lift. I don't have a garage, so I actually built a lift from some spare lumber I had laying around from some work I did on my deck.

attachment.php

The two boards supporting the top come off when the top is on the Jeep. When I want to take the top off, I back the Jeep under the rack. The rack is on caster wheels so once the Jeep is under the rack, I can fine tune the rack's position. After that, I pull the front panels off and disconnect the rear section from the Jeep (screws, cables, rear window washer tube). Finally, I string the straps under the roof and ratchet the roof up and off the Jeep. It takes me about 10 minutes start to finish to get it off.
attachment.php

I stole this idea from a post I saw on one of the Jeep forums. Putting the top back on takes about the same amount of time. Lift the top off the boards, remove the boards, back the Jeep under the rack, lower the top, and attach everything.

Attachments

• rack2.jpg
    rack2.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 217
  • rack1.jpg
    rack1.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 147

SkiFanE

We are again Jeep owners. Our 3rd 4wd cherokee. Gave it to kiddo. 1999 Cherokee - mint condition, 119k miles, no rust. We had a 1989 that went forever and got handed down and down. When she said an old cherokee was her dream car (really?!) we started searching. She's loving it. Needed new shocks and wheel hubs - but runs sweet. I was thinking of old Honda or toyota sedan for her - but so happy with the Jeep. Our prior experience is that even if something is wrong with car, will never break down and get you around til problem fixed. Perfect for college kid. And 4wd makes me feel better, she's a new driver this summer. Husband wants the car for himself haha.

HD333

I took the back off my JKU by myself this year, it was a nice day and nobody was around. I climbed in the jeep and walked it out over my head, then slowly squared and bent over to place it on the ground.
It isn't real heavy but it is awkward. I usually get my wife or a buddy to help take it off.
I have seen lifts that people make with a pulley system to hang it in the garage. My buddy made me a shelf above my workbench in my garage that we throw it up on.
If you buy new don't pay for the softtop, grab one of Craigslist for a fraction of the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gmcunni

If you buy new don't pay for the softtop, grab one of Craigslist for a fraction of the price.

that's the question. if i order new do i go with a HT and get ST later or start with ST and add a HT later.

my TJ is ST only.

HD333

It will be MUCH easier and cheaper to pick up a ST after the fact. My buddy just bought a brand new unused softtop with all the surrounds for 650. I bought mine a few years ago for 600. It seems quite a few people just want the T Tops off on the JKU and they sell their ST after the first year.
When I was buying I was in the same boat and there were not a lot of HTs on the secondary market.

Good Luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gmcunni

picked up a used hard top off Craigslist. any you hard top owners tried gutter mount thule rails? planning to mostly keep gear in back of jeep but since i have a ski rack and a thule roof box i was thinking of picking up some rails for occasional trips when i needed to max out my passenger count.

buellski

any you hard top owners tried gutter mount thule rails?

Yes

since i have a ski rack and a thule roof box i was thinking of picking up some rails for occasional trips when i needed to max out my passenger count.

Ski racks should be fine. I've heard that the gutters aren't really strong enough to support a box and the stress it puts on the top, but I've seen them on the road. If I was to use a box, I'd go with something like this:

107957-md.jpg