• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Abandoned? bird nest on my deck

Black Phantom

custom_1239659179748_Mark-Fidrych-Biography-2.jpg

dmc

My cat... Like most - is a killer...

If i let her out all the time - she'd kill everything in sight.. And she doesn't eat what she kills... She does it for fun..

The same sweet cat that curls up next to me on the couch and purrs...
Is a murderer .... for fun...

Black Phantom

That's what I'm guessing. I read somewhere they normally are 12 - 14 days to hatch and thos ehave been out there for like 3 weeks at least.

It never crossed your mind to call Animal Control or some similar agency that could have helped you with this dilemma?

wa-loaf

I have a Robin's nest under my deck. Friday there were 3 chicks in it. Yesterday nothing and I haven't seen either parent. I don't have a cat and I haven't seen any lurking around. Same for Blue Jays. I have seen weasels around my house in the past but none this year. I wonder what happened. :dontknow:

Were they learning to fly? Seems once that's mastered everyone abandons ship pretty quick.

Black Phantom

So I had this nest on my back deck that was built a few week ago in a palm tree I've got out there. I think towards the end of May. Anyway there are three perfect little blue eggs in it - but it's been a few weeks now and I'm starting to think the nest was abandoned.

I have a cat so I was nervous the cat was going to kill the bird but I didn't see the bird's body or anything anywhere. So either the nest was abandoned or what?

Anyway, any chance of saving the birdies? My wife said I should bring them in under a heating lamp or something but even if we did that I wouldn't know how to feed a bird or anything, lol. Plus I'm thinking since it's been three weeks those eggs are probably toast anyway :(

:sadwalk:

If this happens again, you may find more help for the little guys here: http://www.mspca.org/programs/wildlife-resources/

wa-loaf

Seems they could have. A little research says that Robins start to fly only two weeks after hatching. I'll give it a nother few days take a closer look to make sure everyone is gone then remove the nest.

They will re-use their nests. My sister-in-law has one in a bush in front of the house. A robin keeps coming back every year and sometimes twice in a season.

ctenidae

If this happens again, you may find more help for the little guys here: http://www.mspca.org/programs/wildlife-resources/

Not sure the MSPCA can do a whole lot about either an abandoned nest or a dead robin. The eggs are likely to die within a day or two of not being tended to, so by the time you notice the mother isn't there, not a whole lot left to do.

Still, if you do call them and they do come out, make sure you make a donation to cover the expenses.

/pragmatic circle of life...

dmc

FYI - checked my birdies last night, and they've all successfully flown the coop.

So my success rate is 4-4. I must have a very welcoming environment for bird-raising. Those of you with dead birdies and egss, you must be very inhospitable. Time for some soul-searching. I am helping the birdie species, thank goodness for folks like me :)

My cat is not happy about this... not at all... In fact she may have "booooed"...

ctenidae

My cat is not happy about this... not at all... In fact she may have "booooed"...

My wife is not pleased either- the birdies start chirping around 5 am, which wakes her up.

Me, I sleep through a freight train chirping...

dmc

My wife is not pleased either- the birdies start chirping around 5 am, which wakes her up.

Me, I sleep through a freight train chirping...

haha... same thing here... Little F'ers start up early... She runs over and shuts the window... Or so she says.. I never hear it.. haha.