• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunshine Ski Resort Fires Ski Patrollers Threads Removed from Internet

Trekchick

I remember threads on TGR and Epic but I'm pretty sure it didn't pop up on AZ.
The only thing that surprised me about the notice served to EpicSki, is that it took so long for us/them to get served. TGR was pushed to pull their thread almost 2 months ago.

Its a sad day when the privileged bullies can push like that. The good news is that, this kind of bullying and arrogance is likely to backfire on them.
Here is a blog about it from back in February.
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2011/02/04/clouds-over-sunshine-village/

Has anyone posted the info about Grandpa Scurfeld's death in an avalanche because he ignored his own heli guide about avy danger and went into an area that was deemed unsafe?

I'm guessing the Scurfelds think their "rights" are more important than their life and/or safety.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Apparently, deleting threads is something that happens frequently in ski related sites...just look at AZ. Threads (and well regarded posters) get removed here all the time even without and C&D letters....

"all the time".... Really?

Sent from my Thunderbolt via Tapatalk

sledhaulingmedic

It's remarkable how "management" continues to feed the flames of this PR nightmare. This will certainly be in the text books of how not to handle a PR situation.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
The only thing that surprised me about the notice served to EpicSki, is that it took so long for us/them to get served. TGR was pushed to pull their thread almost 2 months ago.

Its a sad day when the privileged bullies can push like that. The good news is that, this kind of bullying and arrogance is likely to backfire on them.

Has anyone posted the info about Grandpa Scurfeld's death in an avalanche because he ignored his own heli guide about avy danger and went into an area that was deemed unsafe?

I'm guessing the Scurfelds think their "rights" are more important than their life and/or safety.

I hadn't even heard of this before. I'm gonna research it but it sounds unbelievable. So far, AZ hasn't gotten anything, at least not that I know of :-D

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sadly,

Sunshine is one of my 'dream' destinations. That whole Lake Louis / Banff area really. Considering it's been a decade since I've been out west, I probably wouldn't have gotten there anyways. Just a crappy situation to read about all around.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com

Hi Trekchic,

There was a few developments in that story. Statement of Defense from the Owner (saying why the 4 were fired) and a counter statement by the patrollers. A pretty interesting read. I notoced that a bunch of the initial stories that I linked to when I posted that peice, be it, forum thread to full out article in online magazine (skiing, etc) have been removed. I've copied them and I had a feeling this would happen (nothing on the internet is forever and I find dead links all the time).

That Facebook page link above is now probably the best place the most up to date info.

I haven't updated that Clouds over Sunshine post I've been busy skiing and blogging, I might revisit in the future.

tjf67

Hi Trekchic,

There was a few developments in that story. Statement of Defense from the Owner (saying why the 4 were fired) and a counter statement by the patrollers. A pretty interesting read. I notoced that a bunch of the initial stories that I linked to when I posted that peice, be it, forum thread to full out article in online magazine (skiing, etc) have been removed. I've copied them and I had a feeling this would happen (nothing on the internet is forever and I find dead links all the time).

That Facebook page link above is now probably the best place the most up to date info.

I haven't updated that Clouds over Sunshine post I've been busy skiing and blogging, I might revisit in the future.

WOW I am ambarrased I never heard of this. Thanks for posting I will have to ask FHW about it.

Trekchick

Glad to see you here Madpatski!
Good to hear from you, and glad you're still skiing.
I skied Mammoth today and will again tomorrow.........what a great season we're having in the Sierras!

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Glad to see you here Madpatski!
Good to hear from you, and glad you're still skiing.
I skied Mammoth today and will again tomorrow.........what a great season we're having in the Sierras!

Thanks.

Mammoth Mammoth Mammoth...ah memories of one year ago or is it 2005 or 2006? ;-)

I'm kicking myself to find time to get the pictures from last year's trip on my blog, however Jazz fest is starting in Ottawa then it will be the Bluesfest time. Oh yeah, I need to fit some July turns in there somewhere. I've taken a serious options for August and September turns relatively far from any active volcanos.

Have fun at Mammoth, wish I could be there again this year, but I'm not a financially rich man. 8)

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I don't recall a thread and I don't recall discussing it as a mod.

Seems overly dramatic to me to take such steps; this will only bring more attention to the issue.

I don't think there was a thread here previously. I haven't had any notices or anything come in but I'll let you guys know if I do. I've never been in that situation before (cease & desist) so I'm not sure yet how I"d handle it. I'd like to stick up my middle finger, but not necessarily at the expense of the entire community going under based on some legal wrangle.

If we ever got anything in the mail I'd have to really spend some time thinking about how to handle it on a case by case basis. I really can't see anything here (yet) as being slanderous in any capacity, and even if it was I'm not really clear on what that might mean.

I'll stick up for the community as best I can, that's what I promise to all you guys (and gals! ;) )

Glenn

A very interesting turn of events. Amazing when more information comes out.

wa-loaf

A very interesting turn of events. Amazing when more information comes out.

I don't know if changes much. They didn't really address the accusations.

People attacking little kids on Youtube is pretty weak though. Nobody is really looking good in this.

bvibert

Staff member
I don't know if changes much. They didn't really address the accusations.

People attacking little kids on Youtube is pretty weak though. Nobody is really looking good in this.

Agreed. They're probably playing it smart by not commenting on an open case though (they are in the middle of a lawsuit with the patroller's correct?).

Neither side looks good for sure. Harassing a 12 year old on the internet must have made them feel really good about themselves...

Glenn

Or the classy ones who called up the 1-800 line and got nasty with the operators.

filejw

Sunshine village responds to Powder's article on the subject:
http://www.powdermag.com/stories/re-making-locals-jaded/

Corporate spin is what this is called. I have been around long enough to see though this nonreply to the public, they didn't respond in any meaningful way .Will just take them off my list of places to stop when in Alberta. Just don' t need to deal with a place that lets the owners kid get away with "do you know who I am" crap. .

Edd

Corporate spin is what this is called. I have been around long enough to see though this nonreply to the public, they didn't respond in any meaningful way .

Essentially correct. The statement made a good effort to cast the other party in a negative light for obvious reasons.

I sure am curious but I doubt we'll ever hear the true story. I'm skeptical that Sunshine will suffer a meaningful business loss in the long run as a result of this. Will the locals boycott and, if they do, will it matter? What's the ratio of the local market vs. the visitors? It's a hot topic in the world of ski forums but the typical destination traveler won't have a clue.

SkiDork

Sunshine Resort said:
Those who spread hatred on the Internet behind an anonymous identity are no more defenders of free speech than vigilantes are defenders of civil rights.

+1