• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Not a golfer........but some impressive history today at the US Open

JimG.

Staff member
Looking forward to watching more of this kid from Ireland.

They're already calling him the next Tiger Woods...which is ridiculous and unfair to the kid.

Besides, if they want to compare him to the best golfer of all time they would have to say he's the next Jack Nicklaus because Woods is never going to surpass Jack's record of 18 majors.

And that fact makes me smile.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I think it is too early both to call McIlroy the next Tiger and also to say that Tiger is finished in regards to more majors. McIlroy has been quite the player to watch since he started playing in the pros and it was only a matter of time. Quite a feat smashing records on his first major. I stopped playing golf and stopped watching it when I stopped playing. But I enjoyed watching him come up through the ranks so quickly when I was watching.

Warp Daddy

The Kid has serious talent, BUT the game GIVETH and the courses especially the greens Taketh Away :D-- so only time will tell if he has the necessary consistency.

But a fantastic effort these past 4 days - seriously impressive !

JimG.

Staff member
I think it is too early...to say that Tiger is finished in regards to more majors.

Maybe.

But you have to admit that his fall from grace has been rapid and complete.

He may come back, but his physical and mental problems seem to multiply as each month passes. He is no longer seen as the dominant golfer he once was. Nobody is afraid of him anymore. The new golfers on the block feel they can beat him on any given day. And they do...that's when he plays of course which recently is rarely.

I used to root for Tiger until his marital issues surfaced; now I take pleasure in his failures.

Warp Daddy

Maybe.

But you have to admit that his fall from grace has been rapid and complete.

He may come back, but his physical and mental problems seem to multiply as each month passes. He is no longer seen as the dominant golfer he once was. Nobody is afraid of him anymore. The new golfers on the block feel they can beat him on any given day. And they do...that's when he plays of course which recently is rarely.

I used to root for Tiger until his marital issues surfaced; now I take pleasure in his failures.

Frankly for me it is a NON issue . I am of the opinion that the "new Kids on the Block" are every bit as talented and have the benefit of seeing just what happen when one get too big and assumes that they can say / do damn near anything without consequences . Poetic justice and or call it karma or whatever the hell u want seems to bith folks in the AZZ whenever they seem to least expect it ,

And FWIW the mental aspect of golf is what set Woods apart , now that is in dormancy -- so , we'll see

tjf67

In contrast to Rory's performance, Tigers masterpiece @ Pebble in 2000, where he finished -12 and the T2 was +3 is truly the US open record. 20 guys were under par at the open this year.

The kid is great and I wish him all the luck but lets be real.

JimG.

Staff member
And FWIW the mental aspect of golf is what set Woods apart , now that is in dormancy -- so , we'll see

Pot stirring aside, this is the crux of the issue with Woods' fall...back in the day, everyone said that Nicklaus could have won 25+ majors if he had never gotten married and had a family. Which would make for a lonely and somewhat pitiful life.

There has to be some kind of balance or one ceases to be a human being and they become a golfing robot. But Tiger made alot of poor choices in his social life and he is paying a heavy price.