• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The pizza thread

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I don't see what's so special about pizza @ Seaside Heights @ Jersey Shore. Many of the people rave about it. And their customer service is just stellar - they count the napkins they give you, you have to pay for extra plates (one place) and you have to ask for a knife and fork.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
bcpizza1.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
Just had a slice of Pizzaria Regina Pepperoni. Great sauce and crust, pepperoni too greasy. Took 4 napkins to mop up the excess grease on one slice.

Glenn

They had a great segment on pizza last night on the Food Network. It was on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives. The place wasn't any of those....it had a real deal brick oven shipped from Italy.

soposkier

I will definitely have to try Flipside, and Otto has been on my list for a long time. Flatbread is very good, and perhaps my favorite in the area (so far) is Ricetta's. Pat's is a favorite for no frills, but very good and pretty damn cheap thin crust pizza. Really not that picky though, and can enjoy most pizza.

Bacon scallion mashed potato from Otto is amazing. A little unconventional, but after a night of drinking at all the bars around there it hits the spot.

BackLoafRiver

Bacon scallion mashed potato from Otto is amazing. A little unconventional, but after a night of drinking at all the bars around there it hits the spot.

Delicious and genius.

Ate at the new "When pigs fly" tonight in Kittery. Delicious. Place was packed and the pizza came in minutes. Delicious crust, smoked mozz, home made sausage....real good. The fact that their beer list doesn't suck is a nice bonus. They have a sweet wine system....it's legged like beer. Never seen it before.

WoodCore

You can say what you want about NYC and New Haven pizza but my dingy little hometown Waterbury, CT makes some seriously fine pie! Wood fired, coal fired, thin crust, thick crust, etc! Pretty much can get what ever you want and it all tastes pretty damn fine!

o3jeff

You can say what you want about NYC and New Haven pizza but my dingy little hometown Waterbury, CT makes some seriously fine pie! Wood fired, coal fired, thin crust, thick crust, etc! Pretty much can get what ever you want and it all tastes pretty damn fine!

usually go to Vito's in Wolcott!

ctenidae

Forgot about one of my favorite pizza places- Dial-A-Pizza in Somerville (on Beacon Street, right on the Somerville/Cambridge line).

My (now) wife and I used to live 5 blocks from it. $5 large cheeses pizzas- we'd walk over, grab one fresh out of the oven, and finish half of it walking home. 10 years later, we still talk about it on occasion. Man, that was good pizza.

Angus

laughing...on Saturday after 10 miles of wind, cool temps and fog, the pizza at the MWO was about the best thing I've tasted in a longtime -

HD333

Made 2 of my own on the grill Saturday.

Imported Prosciutto, tomatoes, fresh mozzarella,fresh Basil.
and
Imported Prosciutto, honey, and Gorganzola.

Left overs tonight.

Glenn

I'd love to build my own pizza oven. I suck at the welding right now though. Maybe some day. I saw a pretty cool design on a welding forum.

bvibert

Staff member
I've never done a pizza on the grill, but I've seen a lot of talk about it lately... Now I think I'm gonna have to give it a shot!

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'd love to build my own pizza oven. I suck at the welding right now though. Maybe some day. I saw a pretty cool design on a welding forum.

Have a good friend who grew up in Putney, VT, now lives about an hour north of there. He's a mason and builds pizza ovens for people's homes all the time. Maybe you can convince Mrs. Glenn that your vacation home needs one. :)

Grassi21

I've never done a pizza on the grill, but I've seen a lot of talk about it lately... Now I think I'm gonna have to give it a shot!

Do it! I have done it on both gas and charcoal grills. The charcoal imparts a nice flavor. I use lump wodd charcoal, not that Kingsford or Match Light crap.

HD333

On the grill is a piece of cake.
Here is my method.
Open a beer or pour glass of wine, go to deck with beer/wine and light grill.
Get the grill as hot as possible, throw dough on (no oil or anything) until it gets browned (doesn't take long). Then I shut the grill off, flip the dough keep it on the grill and prep the pizza with whatever your toppings are. Fire it back up get the temp high to cook the bottom of the dough then shut gas off or keep heat real low so the bottom doesn't burn but lock the heat in to melt the cheese and finish it off.

Glenn

Have a good friend who grew up in Putney, VT, now lives about an hour north of there. He's a mason and builds pizza ovens for people's homes all the time. Maybe you can convince Mrs. Glenn that your vacation home needs one. :)

That actually wouldn't be too hard! Mrs Glenn likes the idea of a stone grill...so putting an oven next door may be an easy sell. :lol:

As far as using the gas grill...we use a pizza stone and that really helps crisp things up evenly.