• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Steve Irwin dies in Stingray attack

bvibert

Staff member
Well that sucks, can't say I'm too suprised to hear he died from an animal attack though.

thetrailboss

Staff member
You must say...it was completely random that he got hit where he got hit....out of his entire body, he got stung in the heart. :blink: What are the odds???

Ski Diva

Website
www.skidiva.com
Really a shame. Two little kids, too.

And just this summer I was in Grand Cayman feeding sting rays at Sting Ray City! Had no idea they were so dangerous. Or are the ones in the Pacific different than the ones in the Caribbean?

FRITOLAYGUY

Well i dont understand it either, i guess its he was getting paid to do what he loved and got paid well, much more than any job on the mountain.

ctenidae

At least he ided in a cool way. He's going to have all kinds of cred in heaven- St Pete's gonan have a ball when he gets to Irwin- "You got stabbed in the chest by a stingray? You are so money!"

Still, he's dead, and that kind of sucks.

SkiDog

Really a shame. Two little kids, too.

And just this summer I was in Grand Cayman feeding sting rays at Sting Ray City! Had no idea they were so dangerous. Or are the ones in the Pacific different than the ones in the Caribbean?

Actaully from what ive been reading and what I know about stingrays..they are usually harmless...they rarely use the barb except in serious self defense...this animal apparently felt "trapped" between the camera man and Steve...Ive personally stepped on stingrays, unknwingly, while scuba diving.

And then the odds of being hit in the heart? Wow...talk about bad luck...and he apparently wasn't even provoking the thing..shame..I enjoyed watching the guys show occassioanlly.

M

Greg

Staff member
At least he died doing what he loved, playing around with dangerous animals..

People often say that and I've never really understood way. I love skiing, but I don't want to die in an avi or going head first into a tree.

I agree, HPD. When I saw this thread, I just knew there would be a "yeah, but he died doing what he loved to do" post. That doesn't minimize the fact that he's now dead and will no longer be able to do what he loved to do. I feel for his family. Sad.

FRITOLAYGUY

Now i dont mean to be sick or blunt but i read he was filming Oceans deadliest creatures or something like that so this is on tape, i would like to see it to be honest with ya.. I know that sounds horrible.

ctenidae

I agree, HPD. When I saw this thread, I just knew there would be a "yeah, but he died doing what he loved to do" post. That doesn't minimize the fact that he's now dead and will no longer be able to do what he loved to do. I feel for his family. Sad.

I don't think the phrase minimizes anything. If you were about to die, would you rather it be while you were doing something you loved, or while waiting on line at the DMV?

highpeaksdrifter

I don't think the phrase minimizes anything. If you were about to die, would you rather it be while you were doing something you loved, or while waiting on line at the DMV?

If it was suffocating under several feet of snow, not being able to move (I’m claustrophobic) or just dropping dead standing at the DMV, I’ll take the DMV.

Greg

Staff member

I really don't care. At the end of the day I'm still dead...

The "dying doing what he loved" thing is just to make the people who are still living feel better about it.

ctenidae

If it was suffocating under several feet of snow, not being able to move (I’m claustrophobic) or just dropping dead standing at the DMV, I’ll take the DMV.

Suffocating under several feet of snow or several feet of bureaucracy, either way...

The saying is trite, no doubt. I just hope that there is some sort of register where the way you died is recorded, and that it's worth at least a couple of points in whatever comes next. If there is anything. I'd still rather be remembered as having died doing something than doing nothing, is all I'm saying.

Better :daffy: or :beer: than :argue: or :dunce: