• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Today I felt old because...

o3jeff

You guys had some nice first cars, mine was this gem a 72 AMC Hornet in grey, it did have a 304 in it and could lay a pretty good one legger down the road!

800px-1976_AMC_Hornet_Sportabout.jpg

Terry

My first vehicle was a 59 F100 pickup. My first car was a 64 Tbird. Sweet car. Wish I never sold it.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Not my first, and didn't buy it brand new, believe I purchased this puppy around 77. Paid $160 for it, came with 5 extra wheels/tires. Had a push button automatic transmission. 64 Dodge Dart, fun car since at that cost, I didn't really care what happened to it. My dad refused to ride in it :lol:

1964DodgeDart.jpg

JimG.

Staff member
My first car was an 87 golf, second car (after I totalled the golf) was an 87 gti which was my favorite car to date. It was white with a sweet black interior with red accents. Unfortunately I totaled that one too (along with a 5 day visit to the hospital). I've had a few others too.

My wife has had a few VWs too, including a 86 2 door jetta (not too many of those things around) and her favorite; a 97 cabrio.

Remind me to never drive with you.

Now I feel old for saying that!

wa-loaf

You guys had some nice first cars, mine was this gem a 72 AMC Hornet in grey, it did have a 304 in it and could lay a pretty good one legger down the road!

800px-1976_AMC_Hornet_Sportabout.jpg

My first was a 1981 BMW 316 that I got for $1800 when I moved to Germany in the Army:
bmw-316-antildeo-1981_9eaef1f3_3.jpg

Glenn

Today I felt old because: "Enter Sandman" is playing on Pandora's 'Classic Rock' station.

Geoff

I can't find a photo that captures the extreme crappyness of my first car.... a 1972 Ford Maverick. Diarrhea brown like this one but solid brown without the white trim. Mine was totally stripped other than the 200 cu inch straight 6 engine upgrade. Lots of sheet metal repair from all the Vermont road salt. I was really good with a rivet gun, ballpeen hammer, bondo, and a paint sprayer. 3-on-the-tree transmission. Bucket seats out of an old Volvo. Under dash cassette player with bookshelf speakers in the back. CB radio. My handle was "Power Hitter" which referred to something you'd buy in head shop.

DSC_0033.JPG

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
This was my first ride. A 1969 Grand Prix Model J. 428 high output 4 barrel carb putting out just under 400 HP. Mine was ugly. I think the guy who owned it before spray painted it silver...but the engine was solid and roared and put you in the back seat like no other I've driven.!!!

2573jg9_27.jpeg

This was my first ride. A 1969 Grand Prix Model J. 428 high output 4 barrel carb putting out just under 400 HP. Mine was ugly. I think the guy who owned it before spray painted it silver...but the engine was solid and roared and put you in the back seat like no other I've driven.!!!

2573jg9_27.jpeg

My First was a 72 GP. My dad actually bought it. His only "sports car". I totaled it 2 years into my driving career, but boy did we have fun.

WakeboardMom

Not my first, and didn't buy it brand new, believe I purchased this puppy around 77. Paid $160 for it, came with 5 extra wheels/tires. Had a push button automatic transmission. 64 Dodge Dart, fun car since at that cost, I didn't really care what happened to it. My dad refused to ride in it :lol:

1964DodgeDart.jpg

Did it have the push-buttons for the automatic transmission?

JimG.

Staff member
I can't find a photo that captures the extreme crappyness of my first car.... a 1972 Ford Maverick. Diarrhea brown like this one but solid brown without the white trim. Mine was totally stripped other than the 200 cu inch straight 6 engine upgrade. Lots of sheet metal repair from all the Vermont road salt. I was really good with a rivet gun, ballpeen hammer, bondo, and a paint sprayer. 3-on-the-tree transmission. Bucket seats out of an old Volvo. Under dash cassette player with bookshelf speakers in the back. CB radio. My handle was "Power Hitter" which referred to something you'd buy in head shop.

DSC_0033.JPG

Ah the Maverick...

Surpassed only by the infamous Pinto in the Ford pantheon of total crap. I at one time owned a Mustang II, a fine example of what happens to a muscle car after it has been eviscerated by corporate headquarters.

WakeboardMom

OK, read my message a bit more carefully....:razz:

Definitely a blonde moment.

My first car. Some odd automobile website calls it "classic." It would be more accurate to categorize it as POS.

plymouth_cricket_ad_72.jpg

I redeemed myself with my second car.

800px-1973_Chevelle_Malibu_SS.jpg

wa-loaf

This was my first car...bought in 1981 with around 75K miles IIRC.

Nice! A girlfriend had a Dasher, it was pretty fun car.

"Disc brakes in the front, a first for VW!" And now the base Jetta has gone back to drum brakes ...