Wireless routers and lifespan

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wireless routers and lifespan

I seem to average about 2 years until a router fails on me in some manner. The most recent one has lasted about 8 months. It no longer transmits the network and even a hard wired device (Roku) has no internet access. I'm pretty thorough when it comes to troubleshooting tech issues so I try everything under the sun before giving up.

My usage is fairly typical. A good deal of Internet TV, with about 8 connected devices.

I typically go mid-range when buying one. They've all been Linksys, so I guess I'm going to try another brand.

I'm just wondering if anyone else here has similar issues. I'd pay good money if I was confident in the reliability of a new router, but it seems like such a crapshoot.

My linksys router just died on me too. Don't think it's just you.
    2017/2018 Days - 88
    2016/2017 Days - 34
    2015/2016 Days - 57
    2014/2015 Days - 58
    2013/2014 Days - 47

It seems routers have a designed in lifespan to me for some reason. I have gone thru four of them. I have no reason. They just stop allowing certain devices to connect.
    Live, Ski or Die Trying!!!
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...
    3 years is about a good average.

I just spent some time online chatting with a Linksys tech and it seems that the firmware has been corrupted. They asked me to connect my computer to it directly but we have a newer Windows laptop that lacks an Ethernet port.

They have agreed to send a replacement unit. I had not registered it but they were able to determine it was still under warranty by S/N. They are sending the replacement first and I'll send the failed one in the same box. They took CC info from me in the event that I'm scamming them.

I'll update the thread on the outcome. I've never gone this route because I haven't had one fail during the warranty period.

Comcast came out with a wireless cable modem which is what we use now. Nice not having to worry about routers any longer.
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    Comcast came out with a wireless cable modem which is what we use now. Nice not having to worry about routers any longer.
    +1
    Same here ! Nice all in one and no worries !

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

I have that there wireless routers are not very good.
    Live, Ski or Die Trying!!!
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

The problem with Comcast is they update the software without permission from the user. Our first unit was fine for a year and then slowed to dial up speed after an update. Numerous phone calls and a visit from a tech didn't help. They finally gave us their new two channel model and it works pretty good

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
    Same for me and my cable company. Plus, this allowed me to bring up the old router to the winter ski house ...which only had wired internet.

Thread Information