• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do You Hike With an I-Pod????

Do you hike with an I Pod or Walkman????

• Yes. Love it and will not go back.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • No. Never do and probably never will.

Votes: 25 69.4%
  • Sometimes...

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • What is an I Pod????

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Moose

I'll hike with my ipod when I'm going solo. I'll keep it low enough so I don't get startled by someone approaching me from behind. It's easy enough to hit pause to say 'How's it going?' to anyone I might come across along the trail.

dmc

the problem with holding other people to a certain standard is that most likely, someone else is holding us to a standard we don't feel is completely justified.

Problem is some people think what they do is the thing to do and everyone else is wrong. And try to justify their opinions with negative words like "rude" and "antisocial"..

I say - do it all!!! or not... :)

Mike P.

Hence the saying, hike your own hike.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
:eek: :oops:

Whoa. This thread has taken an interesting turn...again, this was meant to be a more whimsical thread. It was not meant for anybody to judge anyone.

Back to the topic: do you hike with one or not and why not?

Despite all the :argue: (well, it's not that bad) the wide majority has voted that they do not hike with an I-Pod/MP3 Player/Walkman/Boombox and whatever other name you would call such a personal electronic device (to be completely PC here). :wink:

Last edited:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
actually boss, you were the one that started judging people by calling folks who listen to mp3 players "anti-social." and when you started the thread, you turned it into more than just a poll and more of a discussion by throwing out the following questions that we have been debating:

But isn't hiking about being in the woods away from the electronic junk? Isn't it about listening to the wind in the trees or the silence? And what about the camraderie with your fellow hikers?
so, i really haven't seen any off topic discussion yet. ;)

thetrailboss

Staff member
actually boss, you were the one that started judging people by calling folks who listen to mp3 players "anti-social." and when you started the thread, you turned it into more than just a poll and more of a discussion by throwing out the following questions that we have been debating:

so, i really haven't seen any off topic discussion yet. ;)

Well, to be completely fair, I think that at least twice I have told you how to interpret what I said, but hell, here it is a third time. :roll:

No offense was meant.

Sorry if you took it that way.

And since your selective reading skills missed it, here they are from before:

Cool... But i don't go around calling people rude and jump on a high horse when someone is into something different then I'm into... Unless they do something to bug me...

Good point...that was not my aim though....sorry if you got that impression.

And:

Whoa. This thread has taken an interesting turn...again, this was meant to be a more whimsical thread. It was not meant for anybody to judge anyone.

Back to the topic: do you hike with one or not and why not?

I've said my point now three times. But I am sure you're going to override me again and tell me that you know exactly what I was thinking and when I speak, so I must be wrong. I was the one who started the thread, so I think that should qualify me to speak on what it was I meant. I hope that this has made it so that nobody can read their own feelings into it. :roll: Seems kind of ironic that someone judges me to be too judgmental. And a fair review of the thread reveals that the accusations came in regards to someone else's post instead of mine.

We all enjoy posting and talking with each other, but nobody appreciates being told what it was they meant. How does this kind of partial and biased dissection of what someone says encourage people from participating?

The best way to find out what someone means is to ask them directly. I have offered three explanations now. Hope this puts it to rest.

Now, can't we get back to discussing why you use an [insert device] hiking or not?

Last edited:

Ascend the Snow

Personally as I often hike solo I love to bring my Ipod along with me. However, lots of my music tastes often means listening to trance/electronic tracks and albums which are usually 1 hour +. I don't like to just listen to 3, 4 minute songs while doin an activity such as hiking (or snowboarding in the winter). It makes the hike have a soundtrack, and the music just enhances my experience.

When I'm hiking with someone, it's mostly the opposite. The hike is a great way to converse and enjoy the company of the people who are accompanying you. I can totally understand why people feel like they're trying to get away from all of the electronic modern devices - which is actually why when I hike I turn my cell-phone off (but keep it with me in case of emergency).

For any of you who've never hiked through a beautiful area with the sounds of DJ Tiesto,BT, DJ doboy..etc.. I recommend it :razz:

Mike P.

WHO???? Do they let you listen to those people in Maine?

I'm kidding about the ME comment & welcome.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
maine actually has a kicking electronic music scene, all things considered. some of the best outlaws i have attended were in maine. welcome Ascend, always nice to see a fellow electronic music lover on the board.

YardSaleDad

Website
www.tirnalong.com
the wide majority has voted that they do not hike with an I-Pod/MP3 Player/Walkman/Boombox and whatever other name you would call such a personal electronic device (to be completely PC here). :wink:

I wonder what the correlation is for "frequency" vs "listenership". DMC and I hike multiple times a week and are in the minority in this poll.

Are the majority weekend warriors? :cool:

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
I wonder what the correlation is for "frequency" vs "listenership". DMC and I hike multiple times a week and are in the minority in this poll.

Are the majority weekend warriors? :cool:

For me I see no correlation. I can hike any day of the week I choose and see no diference in regards to this thread whether it's a hike on Tuesday or Sat.

Personally speaking I do not use a personal listening device whether it's crowded or not cause I enjoy the sounds of nature and like greeting folks I come across on the trail.

dmc

Despite all the :argue: (well, it's not that bad) the wide majority has voted that they do not hike with an I-Pod/MP3 Player/Walkman/Boombox and whatever other name you would call such a personal electronic device (to be completely PC here). :wink:

Nice!!! I'm not in the majority!!! And I wasn't arguing - just pointin out some stuff...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Nice!!! I'm not in the majority!!! And I wasn't arguing - just pointin out some stuff...

Well, actually you and YSD bring up a good point...what is hiking? When you go out for say an hour or two and are trail running or do a local hike, is it the same thing as when one goes out for an 11 mile day? Does it matter?

dmc

Well, actually you and YSD bring up a good point...what is hiking? When you go out for say an hour or two and are trail running or do a local hike, is it the same thing as when one goes out for an 11 mile day? Does it matter?

Nope... It doesn't matter.. The woods doesn't care what your doing...

montvm

I have personally never hiked with an "MP3" player or anyother device like that. When i hike i personally am trying to get away from that type of stuff. I suppose that if one was through hiking a long distance trail that one may want to get away from the noise of nature, (hence whereing an MP3 player). I guess i could understand that. The funny thing is that if i was road running, or riding my mountain bike or even skiing, i would most likely have an MP3 player blaring in my ears.....

To each there own! What does it matter anyways, as long as your enjoying your hike!!!!

Grassi21

After my mini crapped out I snagged my Dad iPod video. It sat on his desk for 8 in the box collecting dust. This thing rocks. The podcasts are great for riding the rail.

I switched depts. within my company back in early Nov. Last week everyone in my new department was given a iPod shuffle for the holidays. So tiny, and will be a great addition while using my Skier's Edge or on those solo ski days.

I know there are a number of great MP3 players out there, but I have really come to love the Apple products.

dmc

I have personally never hiked with an "MP3" player or anyother device like that. When i hike i personally am trying to get away from that type of stuff.

I guess if I wanted to get away from music I would... But generally I enjoy listening to music all the time... Never really felt the need to get away from music...