• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf/USA: AZ Challenge-2006 Response/Feedback Thread

Greg

Staff member
Oh My Gosh Corner

For those that havn't been to "Oh My Gosh Corner":

DSC06264.jpg

DSC06263.jpg

Birdman829

I'm excited about the terrain park move. Hopefully the move will make some of the park rats use double runner long side or something instead of the superquad. I'm so sick of the Superquad being mobbed with kids who only use it to get to the park. Perhaps the bottom pitches on Hayburner and King's Landing won't be so icy from being side slipped too :p

thetrailboss

Staff member
The real benefit of the AZ Challenge is not just for AZer's, but the resorts because there is a buzz created after a good challenge. Right now, there is one hell of a buzz. Bill answered in paragraphs, not words. :beer: to that. Hope you watch here, Bill, for when I plan on going to the 'Loaf. Would like to meet you in person....

loafer89

I liked his fast response, but his answer to the lack of lifts on Easter weekend was kind of weak. First off, I ski with my son who is a low intermediate skier, and on all of the previous Easter Weekends that I have been there, the lower mountain lifts where running even with less snow around the base than this year. He was really dissapointed at the lack of either Double Runner chairs being opened. Bombardier groomed Boardwalk each night (I guess for free?) and pushed snow around the bare spots and to the lift, but it never ran.

We visited Saddleback on Easter saturday to find all of their lifts running with hardly a skier to be found in the awful rain and cold conditions, but still they serviced their guests properly which really made me mad with Sugarloaf.

I understand that ASC is having financial difficulties and Sugarloaf is not high on the operating totem pole, but at least run the lifts to service all types of skiers on a holiday weekend, crowds or not.

I guess that Sugarloaf does not want my business anymore?

Birdman829

As much as I love the Loaf, I have also been disappointed with lift operation (or lack thereof), especially last year. There were a handful of days when they were running Spillway longside and they weren't running King Pine because of "wind". I don't know much, but I know that if they can run long side, they can run King Pine. The fact that these days in question were all less busy (a couple were fridays or mondays) makes me think that they just figured there werent enough people to run them.

roark

Definitely got to take a trip to the loaf this year. Bob, Charlie, whoever, let me know when you look into condos and such for reggae.

loafer89

It is a nice looking fantasy plan for a company that does not have the money to replace 30+ year old chairlifts. Who will pay for this master plan?

Thanks for sharing it

thebigo

Pictures of the new trail from sugarloaf.com

They also stated that they are going to open with the superquad, this is a change from last year when they opened with double runner and spillway. This will alleviate the lines but I have to think it will put too many people on too little acreage and too little snow.

1160586419parkfromquad.jpg

1160595267newparkfall.jpg

Birdman829

sweet! Could be bad news for Comp Hill though. Instead of the park rats scraping the snow off King's Landing and Hayburner, they will be scraping it off Comp.

thetrailboss

Staff member
And if you look real closely, it appears that there is some frost/snow on the very top of the mountain!!! :beer:

Birdman829

And if you look real closely, it appears that there is some frost/snow on the very top of the mountain!!! :beer:

Yup. Definitely some sugar on the 'Loaf. I haven't been there since March and it feels like forever. The last few years I've worked around there in the summer and gone up in the fall a few times :(