• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

spring skiing

L

lilybean

Which resort has the best spring skiing? I hate mushy snow and I have a week off in april and I want to make a reservation. Advice needed!!! I am considering northern vt, maine, or northern nh. Thanks!!!

Greg

Staff member
Welcome to the boards, lilybean. Wrong forum though. Moving to the Skiing Discussion.

Joshua

many resorts are closed by April 1 or April 15. Anything from Killington northward should be good. Killington keeps superstar open forever, and builds huge bases on it. Sugarbush should be open till middle April, Stowe too. Sunday River in Maine is nice as well. Hope that helps. Unfortunately, it mostly depends on the weather.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
wildcat gets my vote for excellent spring skiing. do tucks while you're up there for a complete weekend. last two years, burke has essentially closed 100% open, so i usually try to get up there for their last day. and i'm kinda biased, but nothing beats it when the bumps on cannon's front face soften up a tad.

Joshua B

riverc0il said:
and i'm kinda biased, but nothing beats it when the bumps on cannon's front face soften up a tad.
You just made me smile. 8)

Surely those front trails are some of the best for New England spring skiing.

skiguide

Website
www.pmgearusa.com
Skier75 said:
I agree with UK, but there's also Sugarloaf in Kingfield, ME.

yes, it's the best place for spring skiing, but unfortunately, this winter has been especially cruel to the 'Loaf, and unless some major snow events happen in march, without too much wind or rain, it's not going to be like normal years, there's just not enough coverage on the mountain.

Still, the party will go on there during Reggae Fest, and you really don't need to ski that weekend anyway, just hang at the base:

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
skiguide said:
Skier75 said:
I agree with UK, but there's also Sugarloaf in Kingfield, ME.

yes, it's the best place for spring skiing, but unfortunately, this winter has been especially cruel to the 'Loaf, and unless some major snow events happen in march, without too much wind or rain, it's not going to be like normal years, there's just not enough coverage on the mountain.

Still, the party will go on there during Reggae Fest, and you really don't need to ski that weekend anyway, just hang at the base:

I'd hang halfway up the slope... the fumes rise, don't they? :blink:

bigbog

re:...........

lilyb,
So far, Sugarloaf is not having a great year for natural snow....so it may a so-so Spring at best. Ordinarily, the mountain has great snow up through mid-APRIL!!(edit), however ASC usually closes up operations pretty early...so locals usually hike it the last 2-3wks.
NH (Cannon...etc) and VT will most likely be your best bets in NewEngland this season....unless one of these intended flurry-things stalls :-?
SundayRiver lasts for a while, but they can advertise "Spring Conditions" when your limited to one trail of frozen slush....imo.... Hey, but I agree with uphillklimber...their LAST day is always free and their Barker barbques are fun.... :)
* re...others on ReggaeFest. Lilybean, you'll have a good time up at the Loaf on this weekend...

$.02....
Steve

Greg

Staff member
skiguide said:
No. No. No. No. No.

I'm going to Reggae Fest this year and I'm counting on skiing as much as possible. It will be my first trip to the 'Loaf and I'm going to ski first, party second. We've got two months to get some decent snowfall before then. Let's not count out the April conditions yet!

skijay

For spring skiing things can change very quickly. The conditions can be warm and soft on Friday , slush on Saturday, ice on Sunday and near white out conditions with blowing snow on Monday. This is how it was at Jay Peak 2 years ago in April for me.

I have had good luck in the spring at Mount Snow (April), Killington (April/May) and Jay Peak (April).

jimme

Last year I had a fantastice* powder day at Gore Mtn, so I'd say it really depends on what the weather is at any given ski area. But, by around April 15th, it was mush at Okemo. I love spring skiing and fully expect mushy conditions; that's was Spring skiing is all about. Pass me another ear of corn, please! :beer:

Jimme

* Spelling error left in intentionally. Did I just invent a new word? Fantastic+Nice. haha :lol:

Joshua B

I've had days to remember at Okemo, Cannon, and Ragged--all during the spring. I can't say I'm any happier than skiing under bright sun, and at some point in the day, stripping down to a t-shirt and my ski pants and soaking up the sun while riding up on the chairlift.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
burke has excellent spring skiing conditions. they get more snow than a lot of other ski areas, so usually have an awesome base into spring. however, due to low ticket sales and high operational costs... they don't go long into spring and have closed 100% open these last few years. i try to catch pond skimming day at burke, it's a huge party and lots of the locals come up and have a grand time. most people i ever see at burke is on pond skimming day and STILL no lift line!

aschir01

To be more specific, how would Burke be in April (if they're open)? I'm moving to NY in mid-March and would like to get a weekend of skiing in in April. Thanks.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Starter Jackets Rule! said:
Tuckermans!!!

:) Nice thought, but I think that's a bit out of the realm of possibilities for many skiers... I recall going to Mount Washington on my honeymoon in late May 2001 and there was still quite a bit of snow on Tuckermans. People were skiing it, too...