• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sleeping Giant

thorski

In the flatlands of Ct. for a little bit longer.
Early August at Sleeping Giant. Is there a better hike in Connecticut?

102_2586.JPG

102_2598.JPG

Satan walks with me
102_2587.JPG

102_2590.JPG

102_2600.JPG

102_2594.JPG

102_2595.JPG

102_2605.JPG

102_2610.JPG

102_2614.JPG

soposkier

Where/what is the structure in the first picture? I know the last two are of the tower at the top.

MommaBear

Where/what is the structure in the first picture? I know the last two are of the tower at the top.

Was wondering the same thing. Been to Sleeping Giant many times as a kid, but only remember the "castle" at the top - no other structures.

Haven't been in ages. Thanks for reminding me to get my kids up there. Let's just hope "Satan" isn't hiking that day. :eek:

thorski

Was wondering the same thing. Been to Sleeping Giant many times as a kid, but only remember the "castle" at the top - no other structures.

Haven't been in ages. Thanks for reminding me to get my kids up there. Let's just hope "Satan" isn't hiking that day. :eek:

There is an easy trail up to the top as well which is good for children and seniors or just an easier way back down.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Where is this? I remember as a kid driving down towards NYC to go hiking on those cliffs that you can see driving north up 91 from New Haven, forget what they are called.

This might be the same place. ... hard to recall. I remmber having a birthday party there with my buddies and we were tossing rocks and crap over the cliff, and then a few seconds later these rock climbers emerged and said to stop throwing shit off the cliff.

Whoops!

MommaBear

There is an easy trail up to the top as well which is good for children and seniors or just an easier way back down.

I'm guessing that easy one is the trail we always took - don't remember my Mom allowing us too close to any cliffs. :lol:

bigbog

From the looks of some of it in photo... kinda looks like another ironworks, as in Katahdin Ironworks(outside of Brownville Jct, ME) = past mining/rock-excavation pit(s)..etc, but more likely not.

soposkier

It's possible. There was a quarry mining operation that operated in the early 1900's.

Glenn

HA! That's right in our backyard. You can see the Giant if you walk down our street a bit. My wife and I went to Quinnipiac, so we're familiar with it. Haven't been up in ages.

They used to quary the area on the Giant's "head". Rumor has it, they had to stop when the quarying could be see on the head from a certain distance.

thorski

HA! That's right in our backyard. You can see the Giant if you walk down our street a bit. My wife and I went to Quinnipiac, so we're familiar with it. Haven't been up in ages.

They used to quary the area on the Giant's "head". Rumor has it, they had to stop when the quarying could be see on the head from a certain distance.

You should really be taking advantage of living next to such a gem.
:flag: