• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

urungus

Problem with that is that 90% of people ski magic carpet from the summit. At full utilization, another lift would make it too busy (by magic standards). Getting green line back in is the perfect way to disperse east side traffic. I skied it all the time when I was a little kid. Loved 33 1/3!

I thought it was “33rd and 3rd”, possibly named after intersection in Manhattan, not 33 1/3 (rotation speed of LP)

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUse...15698550-Pizza_33-New_York_City_New_York.html

slatham

makimono

On all the old maps it's "33 and 3rd" or "33 & 3rd" or "33 & 1/3rd". First appeared after the green line was cut and at the time it was trail number 34 on the map so I kinda figured it was a play on vinyl record speed while also being a joke on the length of the trail ? No idea really?

https://skimap.org/SkiAreas/view/201

Last edited:

Do Work

Funny I never really thought about it but it is in fact 33rd and 3rd.

So Magic long timers, what's the story with the name? Did Hans live at 33rd and 3rd for a bit?

Iirc it’s a Harry Potter thing.

My dream would be a fixed grip quad going to the summit up blackline and sharing an unloading plateau with Red. Also completing Green. With the way the mountain is laid out with a singular funnel point in the base area it is good to stay centralized and redundancy is always important too. It gives a group in the base area every option every run and keeps it easier to run everything. The cost to run power alone to remote areas can be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars by itself too.

djspookman

My dream would be a fixed grip quad going to the summit up blackline and sharing an unloading plateau with Red. Also completing Green. With the way the mountain is laid out with a singular funnel point in the base area it is good to stay centralized and redundancy is always important too.
Make it so if $$ and time allow. If only there were a nearby neighbor that will have part of that dream available soon! ;)

makimono

I still think it's a play on vinyl record rpm, there were some goofy names at the time that got away from the Magic theme (like part of Red Line being called Red 944).

Although, the numbers 33, 1/3, and 33 1/3 all have major significance in black magik, numerology, Christianity, freemasonry etc. :dontknow:

slatham

My dream would be a fixed grip quad going to the summit up blackline and sharing an unloading plateau with Red. Also completing Green. With the way the mountain is laid out with a singular funnel point in the base area it is good to stay centralized and redundancy is always important too. It gives a group in the base area every option every run and keeps it easier to run everything. The cost to run power alone to remote areas can be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars by itself too.

With you on that! I believe someday that will be a reality.

skithetrees

I thought it was “33rd and 3rd”, possibly named after intersection in Manhattan, not 33 1/3 (rotation speed of LP)

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUse...15698550-Pizza_33-New_York_City_New_York.html

I always remembered calling it 33 and 1/3 growing up, but looked at the trail map and was going to concede. Glad someone else remembered. Also remember when black line used to be "Maui" and lucifer "double diamond head". I get the reason for renaming and staying consistent to the themes, but I thought those were two of the coolest trial names out there. Black has rolling drops that get larger at the bottom like waves coming in at Maui. And lucifer leads to double diamonds and the play on "diamond head" of Hawaii fit well with Maui.

skithetrees

Interesting point re power. I think that lift arrangement makes the most sense in terms of practical reality and what is really needed.

Do Work

Apparently it isn’t a Harry Potter thing. I will let you guys know if I get to the bottom of it though!

Fun fact: “Potter” on the map has no relation to Harry Potter either. It’s dedicated to the memory of Craig Potter, a local ripper.

Do Work

I always remembered calling it 33 and 1/3 growing up, but looked at the trail map and was going to concede. Glad someone else remembered. Also remember when black line used to be "Maui" and lucifer "double diamond head". I get the reason for renaming and staying consistent to the themes, but I thought those were two of the coolest trial names out there. Black has rolling drops that get larger at the bottom like waves coming in at Maui. And lucifer leads to double diamonds and the play on "diamond head" of Hawaii fit well with Maui.

I believe the “diamond head” era was the last 80s early 90s when Jim Schultz was Manager. Lol at calling it Maui though,that’s hilarious.

BenedictGomez

Apparently it isn’t a Harry Potter thing. I will let you guys know if I get to the bottom of it though!

Fun fact: “Potter” on the map has no relation to Harry Potter either. It’s dedicated to the memory of Craig Potter, a local ripper.

I hate to be, "that guy", who proves you wrong multiple times in the same thread, but when Potter was added to Magic's trail map, it was literally first called "Harry Potter" (2007 trail map below).

https://skimap.org/data/201/7/1209849742.pdf

JamaicaMan

Gondi to summit of Magic, then over to Summit of Timber Ridge, then to bottom of TR and back again. JamaicaMan please get going on this project. Please leave the run outs, separates the weak from the strong.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

We have a tram planned from Jake’s in Londonderry to the cell towers and down to TR...maybe through middle earth to China as well. Hear they are growing skiers there and they will pay for all this...

JamaicaMan

Interesting point re power. I think that lift arrangement makes the most sense in terms of practical reality and what is really needed.

Good lord. Let’s not bring realities of costs and return-on-investment into fantasy land here.

But yeah, we love our centralized lift system and base area! All these decentralized pod lifts would destroy the ease and simplicity of Magic. I’ve seen those satellite lift plans from so many “resort” consultants that just don’t get who we are and just have the same old cookie-cutter ski industry ideas.

Just wait. It’s going to be really good. But it will be the Magic way

Do Work

I hate to be, "that guy", who proves you wrong multiple times in the same thread, but when Potter was added to Magic's trail map, it was literally first called "Harry Potter" (2007 trail map below).

https://skimap.org/data/201/7/1209849742.pdf

*sigh* Don’t worry you aren’t. I honestly don’t care what the internet says or who typed what on the trail map in 07.

Except you won’t find a single employee from that era who will say that trail wasn’t cut and dedicated specifically to Craig- whose ashes were also spread on the mountain. Several people who were close with him who cut and named that trail are still here if you’d like to ask them specifically about it.

I appreciate your sleuthiness though in any case.

NYDB

Any truth to the rumor that you guys will be looking to build a few mountain bike trails in and around the mountain in the coming years?

Looking for volunteers to help build maintain?

Going to setup or join a VMBA chapter?

The Sneak

Replace black with a T bar right up Blackline, only the strong survive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk