• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Year Round Indoor Ski Park Coming to Jersey Next Year?

Killingtime

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2018...h-america-to-open-in-new-jersey-on-march-1st/

The first indoor ski and snowboard park in the Western Hemisphere is set to open on March 1, 2019. The complex known as Big SNOW America at American Dream New Jersey has been under construction for more than a decade. Standing 12-stories tall and spanning more than 180,000 square-feet, Big SNOW America will offer year-round skiing, snowboarding and snow tubing, alongside indoor snow play and event space.
“Because our center will stay at a consistent temperature and we have the ability to control the humidity of the air, snow quality within the center will be very good,” Hugh Reynolds, VP of marketing and sales for SNOW Operating, told New Jersey Family.

KustyTheKlown

i assume this is the monstrosity next to giants stadium. its been sitting there for a few years now. i will check it out for the novelty during the offseason at least once.

skiur

Just search for Xanadu, this is nothing new.

cdskier

I've been driving by this nightmare for over 10 years.

Fun fact...the ski complex part of this was damaged back in 2011 by SNOW! :lol:

ski&soccermom

Their numbers are pretty optimistic too. 33,000 parking spaces times 365 days/year = 12,045,000 cars if every spot is taken daily. If 3-4 people are in each car they will just about make their projection of 40 million visits/year. So they expect to be at full capacity every day?!?
http://www.americandream.com/location/

Jully

Just search for Xanadu, this is nothing new.

Did Xanadu ever announce an opening date? It is all just words right now, but potentially words that have not been announced before in terms of this place?

cdskier

Did Xanadu ever announce an opening date? It is all just words right now, but potentially words that have not been announced before in terms of this place?

Exact date? No. "Expected completion dates"? Sure...quite a few of them over the years: 2006, 2008, 2010, 2013, early 2014, fall 2016, second half 2017, and now March 2019.

So I'll put this in the category of "I'll believe it when it actually happens."

BenedictGomez

I cant believe there were never Federal indictments handed out because of this corrupt, tax-payer sucking, monstrosity.

Pez

Vail will end up buying it!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

benski

Their numbers are pretty optimistic too. 33,000 parking spaces times 365 days/year = 12,045,000 cars if every spot is taken daily. If 3-4 people are in each car they will just about make their projection of 40 million visits/year. So they expect to be at full capacity every day?!?
http://www.americandream.com/location/

Its a giant mall, with an indoor water park and theme park next to the 82,500 seat met-life stadium. http://www.americandream.com/entertainment/
They also have a train station, so hopefully people will take public transit.

cdskier

Its a giant mall, with an indoor water park and theme park next to the 82,500 seat met-life stadium. http://www.americandream.com/entertainment/
They also have a train station, so hopefully people will take public transit.

Great. A mall that is within 15 minutes of how many other malls? The entertainment is the only thing that really separates them...but I don't see them hitting their projected numbers at all even with a waterpark and ski slope.

What does the stadium have to do with American Dream hitting their projected visits/year numbers? I don't see that many people going to the stadium and potentially adding in a stop at the waterpark or ski slope as part of their tailgating activities. Don't forget that many football games are on Sundays when all the retail options at the mall would need to be closed anyway due to Bergen county's blue laws. So entertainment (and food) would be the only thing open in that mall on a Sunday.

The train station may not be that popular of an option for the mall either. Right now it is only run for events at the stadium and it comes directly from nowhere so it is difficult to predict how popular it would be even if it had a regular schedule. It isn't on any actual major train line. It is a branch line from the Secaucus Junction so most people would have to transfer from somewhere else (Secaucus Junction itself has limited parking since it was originally intended to be mainly just a transfer point between different NJ Transit train lines).

I would predict that those 33K parking spots at American Dream will almost NEVER be completely filled. And they will not make up that difference from people using public transit so I agree with the person that said their numbers are optimistic (and in my mind completely unrealistic in actuality).

cdskier

To put this projected 40M visits/year number in perspective...

Disney World (17M), Disney Land (14.7M), and Universal Studios Florida (6.2M) combined only have ~38M visits a year.

The largest mall in NJ (Garden State Plaza) has around 20M visits a year.

So they think that this new mall/entertainment venue will somehow pull in more visitors a year than the current most popular mall in NJ and Disney World combined?

mbedle

To put this projected 40M visits/year number in perspective...

Disney World (17M), Disney Land (14.7M), and Universal Studios Florida (6.2M) combined only have ~38M visits a year.

The largest mall in NJ (Garden State Plaza) has around 20M visits a year.

So they think that this new mall/entertainment venue will somehow pull in more visitors a year than the current most popular mall in NJ and Disney World combined?

This will be a little different than other malls in a sense that 55% will be dedicated to entertainment and food. As far as the number of visits, their other malls pull in 30 to 40 million visits a year. As far as parking, you can't just look at the total number of spaces available. A single parking space at a mall may be used by multiple visitors. Most people do not hang at the mall from opening to closing.