• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Summer 2018 Northeast Offseason Improvements

Newpylong

Whaleback Mt. has replaced and enlarged their main snowmaking distribution line going from 6" to 8". Approx 2300 linear feet and rebuilt associated valve stations on said line.

drjeff

Whaleback Mt. has replaced and enlarged their main snowmaking distribution line going from 6" to 8". Approx 2300 linear feet and rebuilt associated valve stations on said line.

Any upgrades in pumping capacity concurrent with the new, larger line? Or is/was the existing pumps capable of pushing that much extra water up the hill? Good news, regardless! :fangun: :snow:

Newpylong

Any upgrades in pumping capacity concurrent with the new, larger line? Or is/was the existing pumps capable of pushing that much extra water up the hill? Good news, regardless! :fangun: :snow:

It would be nice if there was enough money to do another pump but not at this time. However the good 6" that came off this upline will replace some of the core 4" downlines to upgrade capacity there. The 8" upgrade was to prepare for a new pump and to replace rotted underground pipe below the base area. The work was done with 2 grant(s) and the next large snowmaking upgrade with either be an additional pump or more pipe replacement. Nearly the entire mountain is 30-40 year old victaulic piping, better suited for irrigation and sprinkler systems than snowmaking.

machski

Apparently Loon is replacing their Gondola cabins this summer or fall (fall probably between summer/winter ops) with new but still 4 passenger cabins. Wonder how much that is costing, I don't think CWA makes 4 pax cabins very often so this has to be a special order.
http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=699

Sent from my SM-T900 using AlpineZone mobile app
Not much of any info on Loon's website on this. I kind of wonder if they will upgrade the base and summit terminal cadence systems to all tires vs the old chain clips they have now as well.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

slatham

IMG_4566.jpg

Ok not sure if this worked, and not exactly a huge improvement. Bromley rebuilding the upper mountain valve house. Actually I just wanted any snowmaking junkies to see the pic and this thread seemed the closest in theme......

sull1102

When you compare it to similar projects in recent years it's really impressive. Look at Waterville and their new pod that has taken a couple summers and still needs a little bit of work. They started back in the summer of 2016 and I think the Green Peak Triple didn't actually run until January 2017 and even then there was no snowmaking and trails weren't "cleared" down to grass like these beautiful pastures Hunter is building. It wasn't until summer 2017 that WV got the trails cleared out and finished cutting and clearing the rest of them. Even this winter snowmaking was very limited. Meanwhile Hunter looks to have this terrain 100% open with snowmaking by opening day...

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

When you compare it to similar projects in recent years it's really impressive. Look at Waterville and their new pod that has taken a couple summers and still needs a little bit of work. They started back in the summer of 2016 and I think the Green Peak Triple didn't actually run until January 2017 and even then there was no snowmaking and trails weren't "cleared" down to grass like these beautiful pastures Hunter is building. It wasn't until summer 2017 that WV got the trails cleared out and finished cutting and clearing the rest of them. Even this winter snowmaking was very limited. Meanwhile Hunter looks to have this terrain 100% open with snowmaking by opening day...

Don't kid yourself, Waterville is STILL finishing clearing and grading the Green Peak trails this summer and adding in snowmaking lines.

Jully

Don't kid yourself, Waterville is STILL finishing clearing and grading the Green Peak trails this summer and adding in snowmaking lines.

Agreed. Mega kudos to Peaks for being so efficient here. Its not complete yet, so I guess we can't quite count our chickens yet, but all signs are good thus far.

mbedle

Agreed. Mega kudos to Peaks for being so efficient here. Its not complete yet, so I guess we can't quite count our chickens yet, but all signs are good thus far.

Also keep in mind that the Waterville Valley expansion was done under their SUP and a Forestry Services permit. I am guessing, but pretty sure, that the environmental requirements for the Hunter expansion were a lot less than what Waterville is dealing with.