• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing knee brace

mikestaple

I’ve had the distinct pleasure of spending my summer hobbling around after blowing out my patella. I’m sure others here have had similar knee issues. As far as skiing after a knee injury - what do folks recommend for a knee brace while skiing?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

ThinkSnow

After ACL repair back in 2000, I used a custom made knee brace my doctor ordered for me the first few seasons skiing/riding. Nowadays, just the occasional neoprene compression brace does the trick.

bdfreetuna

I use a neoprene compression brace usually a couple days after skiing (avoid the pain a little).

I use a larger "Mueller" brand brace while skiing, at least on my left knee which is worse, sometimes on my right knee if it starts acting up.

Best thing you can do is preventative exercises and now is a good time to start. Up/down steps, cycling, lunges (if your knee isn't grinding, if it is, take it easy). You probably want to do those exercises with a neoprene brace to assist with the tracking issue while you build supportive muscle in that area.

Worst come to worst take Ibuprofen and Curcumin(stuff in curry) to reduce inflammation before and after you ski. In theory this could reduce chance of irreversible injury.

HowieT2

I’ve had the distinct pleasure of spending my summer hobbling around after blowing out my patella. I’m sure others here have had similar knee issues. As far as skiing after a knee injury - what do folks recommend for a knee brace while skiing?

I used a custom brace for one season after I got my new/used acl. However, I would suggest you consult your orthopedist and/or physical therapist particularly with respect to the patella. you dont want anything causing the patella to track improperly such that it causes further injury.

jamesbond006

knee brace is effective during healing stage or if you refuse to get knee surgery. you should not be wearing a knee brace if the knee has fully healed after surgery.

bdfreetuna

^
I think even with a perfect knee I'd wear compression braces or some other kind of compression gear to reduce injury potential.

dlague

So I tore my ACL 7 years ago and had 30% of my medial meniscus removed due to a bad tear. 7 months after surgery I was back to skiing using a Bledsoe Townsend brace. It is very adjustable. I actually have been using it ever since. While it does nothing for twisting motions it seems to help with hinging movement. This past season was the first season where I went without during spring skiing. However, without the brace sometimes my knee may be a bit painful for days following. Will start the season with it again.townsend-rebel-knee-brace.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app

ralphden

I don't know if it's still actual, but I wear a custom brace because everyone's body is different, and a regular knee brace may not fit me.

RISkier

Different injury. I have no ACL in one knee. Blew it out running from cops at an underage keg party when I was in my late teens. I'm well into my 60's. Was having knee issues a few years ago and finally got an MRI. Me and My Dr were surprised to find out there was no ACL. I've been using a rigid, custom made brace. I think the wisest course of action would be to consult someone who understands your injury and needs. I did run into a product by a company named bracelayer. They have thermal base layers with built in knew support. I've not tried it but fully intend to this year. They also claim the outer material makes rigid braces less likely to move. Looks like a potentially interesting product. Again, I have not experience with it and make no claims about it's actual effectiveness.

lovvetyga

As others said, I also use compression. It's more comfortable and pleasant to ski. Sometimes, I use a hinged knee brace. It depends on the days. I don't know about you, but after my trauma, I try not to ski much. My bones are still weak, and I don't want to get another injury. I'm not prepared to go through this shit again, lol. As time goes on, I'm going to start riding more and more. Also, my doctor told me to warm up my muscles well before skiing because that helps avoid accidents. Maybe it will help you, as well.

Last edited:

Edd

My knees are barking lately. Wondering if it’s because my Peloton workouts have been largely displaced by skiing but I’m looking at braces or sleeves. Don’t suppose anyone has tried these?

I‘m certainly a believer in knee braces but their explanation for how this product works is a bit weird.

WHAT IS INCREDIWEAR​

Our semiconductor embedded products help provide greater relief than traditional (and uncomfortable) compression. This process creates cellular vibrations to increase blood flow and speed, resulting in lymphatic drainage, as well as bringing more oxygen and nutrients to the target area.

Fuckin’ semiconductors, what?

djd66

My knees are barking lately. Wondering if it’s because my Peloton workouts have been largely displaced by skiing but I’m looking at braces or sleeves. Don’t suppose anyone has tried these?

I‘m certainly a believer in knee braces but their explanation for how this product works is a bit weird.

Fuckin’ semiconductors, what?
Funny you say that about the Peloton,... I am having a similar issue. My knee and hip on one side have been bothering me for about 6 weeks now. I have not ridden the bike since it started bothering me and has not gone away. I'm hoping if i do some stretching it will fix it self

crank

There are tons of knee braces out there in a super broad range of prices.

PT girl recommended one that cost $800 each. I have ones that I bought at a big box chain sports store for about $60 each. They are neoprene with hinged metal straps on each side and velcro straps top and bottom.

If I am skiing for a day I don't use them. If I am skiing multiple days in a row and don't use them my knees will be killing me. I don't love having them on but they do help keep the pain away.

Sometimes I wear them hiking and they help mostly on the downhills which seem to put more pressure/strain on my knees.

For you Peloton guys, Years ago I was taking spin classes and that started killing my knee. Now I spin on my own at home or Nordic Trak and going at a slower pace and easier spin is great for the old creaky creakers.

amf

The brace you need will vary depending on the underlying problem. As a result of injury I have very little cartilage in my knees; all tendons and ligaments are fine. I have found an inexpensive Cho-Pat knee brace works wonders for stabilizing the patella without being unduly bulky or restrictive.

2Planker

Ummm.... First question - Have you seen an Orthopedic surgeon ?? and if YES, How about a Physical Therapist ??

Last edited:

Edd

When I tore my ACL in 2010 I wore braces like these posted above for a couple of seasons. Only did it because my insurance covered the cost of the braces. Going to try a sleeve this time, that crap is stupid bulky for skiing. Can’t believe I did it for so long.

1675959080513.jpeg

NYDB

spin guys with knee issues - I'm sure it's not the 1st time you've heard this but - gotta roll, stretch and strength train the glutes and hammys if you are on the bike alot.

rolling and stretching right after the ride is the best. (most people skip cause they don't have the time)
muscle imbalances, tight hips, ITBS, tight hammy

YOGA ! helps alot.

kendo

Reactions: Edd