• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Death of Manual Transmission ETA????

Funky_Catskills

My current VW is manual... Love it.. Except in NYC :)
The other VWs I'm looking at(New Golf Alltrack and Sportwagen) to buy new have manual..

Edd

Appropriate in regard to the thread title. Manual transmissions aren’t the main focus but it is briefly covered.:

https://youtu.be/sqtASrClFFc

Because I purchased a vehicle recently, this year I became hooked on all manner of YouTube videos reviewing cars of every type for every application. Off road, RVs, rooftop tents, road trips. Even after buying, I can’t stop watching this stuff. Some of the content is really impressive.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Anyone else think it's totally lame that there are so few cars being offered today with manual transmissions?

I'm sure this has been said in this thread but I didn't read it: It's a response to the market. Nobody buys them.

My last 4 cars have been CRVs. Since they stopped offer a stick, I now drive an auto.

I used to justify the stick with mileage but the autos are as good or better now.

My new CRV 2018 has 31.7 mpg lifetime over 18,000 miles. That's very solid.

bdfreetuna

My last 4 cars have been CRVs. Since they stopped offer a stick, I now drive an auto.

Ha, I actually test drove a 2004 CR-V EX with a 5 speed manual earlier this year. Nice low mileage and cheap. Too bad the clutch felt funky to me (and I know how those Hondas *should* feel, something was definitely wrong). Ended up picking up a 2009 Rav4 V6 instead with 28,000 miles... sadly no manual but a good transmission for low gearing and locking rear diff, etc at least.

It looks like I'll be keeping and eventually rebuilding the Subaru Legacy GT+ anyway so the wife will inherit the Rav4 and I'll get to keep driving a manual.

I also test drove a Nissan XTerra with a 6 speed manual but hated the vehicle overall.

Last edited:

jimk

Appropriate in regard to the thread title. Manual transmissions aren’t the main focus but it is briefly covered.:

https://youtu.be/sqtASrClFFc

Because I purchased a vehicle recently, this year I became hooked on all manner of YouTube videos reviewing cars of every type for every application. Off road, RVs, rooftop tents, road trips. Even after buying, I can’t stop watching this stuff. Some of the content is really impressive.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

I am uncertainly entering the car market and one of the vehicles I am considering is a 2018 Nissan Versa with manual trans for $9100 new. This might be considered if my wife and I opt for the absolute lowest rock bottom price new econo-car. We are dinosaurs who learned to drive on stick shifts but haven't owned one in about 20 years. Our discussions are still all over the map and we're also considering a small 4wd pick-up truck or a four door convertible (in my dreams). I have also been watching utub auto reviews and one fascinating topic covered there is the crazy rise in price of pick-up trucks over the last 15 years. Many now fall into the $50-75K price range.

sull1102

I am uncertainly entering the car market and one of the vehicles I am considering is a 2018 Nissan Versa with manual trans for $9100 new. This might be considered if my wife and I opt for the absolute lowest rock bottom price new econo-car. We are dinosaurs who learned to drive on stick shifts but haven't owned one in about 20 years. Our discussions are still all over the map and we're also considering a small 4wd pick-up truck or a four door convertible (in my dreams). I have also been watching utub auto reviews and one fascinating topic covered there is the crazy rise in price of pick-up trucks over the last 15 years. Many now fall into the $50-75K price range.
Wait you found a four door convertible? I don't think there's been any of those manufacturered since way, way, way back even on the ultra high end side of things. I'd recommend you go look at a Honda Fit if you are serious about that Versa, it's not even worth the $9K they are asking you for. You'd be 1,000% better off taking that same money and getting a pre-owned anything. The Versa was engineered and is still built to be an ultra low end model that is essentially a throw away car. Anything else at all will have been designed engineered and built better because it was meant to be much more than what it costs now.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

jimk

Wait you found a four door convertible? I don't think there's been any of those manufacturered since way, way, way back even on the ultra high end side of things. I'd recommend you go look at a Honda Fit if you are serious about that Versa, it's not even worth the $9K they are asking you for. You'd be 1,000% better off taking that same money and getting a pre-owned anything. The Versa was engineered and is still built to be an ultra low end model that is essentially a throw away car. Anything else at all will have been designed engineered and built better because it was meant to be much more than what it costs now.

A salesman from Carmax told me to stay away from the Versa too, and look at the Corolla. But the Corolla is twice as much.

Riverskier

Not a car guy... or wealthy. Funny to hear all this talk of options on vehicles that would mean less than nothing to me. That being said, having a manual transmission is a deal breaker for me. I would simply never own an automatic. Thankfully my last 3 cars (all base models, all bought new for CHEAP): Civic, Jetta, and Focus (in that order) were available with manual transmissions. In fact the dealerships were happy to have me take them off their hands, as apparently those who seek or even consider them are few and far between! Kinda sad... I think the bigger problem isn't people's inherent preference, its more the fact that many young people simply never even learn how to drive a stick.

bdfreetuna

^^
The times have changed where it doesn't make sense to put manual tranny in entry level cheap-o cars. Not enough people can operate them, and people who buy these cars just want it to basically work.

The times have also changed wherein the best driver on a manual transmission can't outrun a new 8 speed dual-clutch automatic. So from a pure performance standpoint, look at cars like Dodge Demon. Automatic only. That transmission requires so much special programming to keep the rear wheels from completely burning out at 808whp.

Manual transmissions *do* still have a place but these days it's stuff like rear-wheel drive roadsters (Miata, BRZ, Fiat Spider, BMW M2) where it's more about driver engagement than raw power.

Another place they are still viable is in AWD hot hatches and rally-inspired cars (Golf GTi/R, WRX/STi, Focus RS, Fiesta ST, Alfa Romeo Giulia Quad etc). These cars also reward driver engagement. We can put the Civic Si and Type-R in this category too even though FWD.

Anything that could potentially be a tuner car ought to stay manual equipped.

BMW recently dropped manual on 3-series. Too bad but hopefully drives sales to competitors who are on the fence.

Trucks aimed at a non-geriatric sector, as in not these $80,000 luxury Longhorn rigs, ought to always have manual tranny option.

Tuners and crawlers might be a small segment but they generate enthusiasm and reputation beyond those numbers.

jimk

Wait you found a four door convertible? I don't think there's been any of those manufacturered since way, way, way back even on the ultra high end side of things.

Meant four seat convertible. :slap:
Meanwhile - true confessions - I am still using the old family minivan as my daily driver. The old 2007 Town and Country just won't die.

Quietman

Meanwhile - true confessions - I am still using the old family minivan as my daily driver. The old 2007 Town and Country just won't die.
But you will get tired of patching the rust!!!! I have 3, 2000, 2005, & 2007 and the only one without bondo is the 2000 with 306k because it was a southern car.

sull1102

Ohhhhh I was gonna say you're a hero if you plan on daily driving a sweet Lincoln from wayyyyyyy back! I did realize the Wrangler I guess is now a 4dr convertible, sorta. Best of luck in your search though when the time comes!

jimk

Local Wash DC drive-time radio DJs (The Sports Junkies) were talking about manual transmission this morning and how they would hate to have a manual transmission car in rush hour traffic. But they agreed having one would cut down on the danger of texting and driving. They said only 4% of cars in the US are manual transmission at this point. I had an MG from 1978 to 1988 and used to enjoy commuting in it. I kept the roof down all summer and would purposely take curvy back roads to work:)

Not a convertible, but my brother had a second car for a couple years when he lived in North Carolina back in the mid '70s. It was an early '60s Chrysler New Yorker that looked like this:
001.jpg

Last edited:

Cornhead

Ha, I owned a few Ford's with the keypads on the doors, was nice for leaving ur car running locked while running into a convienence store and knowing someone would at least have to break the window to take off in your car. Was good for skiing too, used to leave my keys in the glovebox. No chance of losing them there. Now I drive stick, and must admit that I leave it running figuring any dick wanting to take my car probably can't.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
Ha, I owned a few Ford's with the keypads on the doors, was nice for leaving ur car running locked while running into a convienence store and knowing someone would at least have to break the window to take off in your car. Was good for skiing too, used to leave my keys in the glovebox. No chance of losing them there. Now I drive stick, and must admit that I leave it running figuring any dick wanting to take my car probably can't.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using AlpineZone mobile app
The keypad on Fords is literally one of my favorite gadgets I've ever had on a car. Loved it for both those reasons. Great during summer too when hiking or going to the beach. I have no idea why all brands don't offer it as an option. So practical

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app