• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

WinS

Curious about the GMP curtailment. I had always assumed that it was during periods of high electricity demand or anticipated demand, and that's why we would see them during holiday/vacation weeks. But this is no peak demand period. mid week. temperatures are moderate. Most of the lifts arent running.
In addition to curtailing when there are peak demand, there is a mandatory monthly curtailment. That is what this one wa. We had an earlier 50% curtailment. Because of our low energy equipment now we can run when 50% curtailed which is very helpful. There is nothing worse than having to shut down completely, drain the lines, and the start back up. It takes hours and the pressure on the pipes increases the risk of a break.

IceEidolon

I dare anyone to run snowguns in a glade without bringing a few branches down. It's easy if you're running a few hundred feet of trail, but much much harder once you have any significant amount of firepower going at once.

Sent from my Life Max using Tapatalk

KustyTheKlown

Thanks for the advice everybody, hit most of the trails mentioned and had a great time today during my first visit. It was pretty foggy at the top, but conditions were awesome! Paradise my was run of the day. After climbing the lengthy staircase from the parking lot, I was not able to summon the energy for the walk to Castle Rock, but after seeing the photo above I wish I had been able to rally. Does the Castle Rock chair only run on weekends? (Although once the chair is running you wouldn’t get the splendid isolation of the photo.)

if the walk from the parking lot takes it out of you, you should probably consider your overall physical fitness

WinS

Sugarbush snowmaking kills trees.

It seriously has to be some of the worst man-made snow in the east. That said snowmaking is not why we ski here, but I was thankful when guns started to turn off on Friday.. it was actually starting to ruin some of the trails.

That is a very uninformed comment. It is very challenging to make snow on narrow trails. Winds direction, temperatures, humidity can change quickly. There is not snowmaking on many of our classic New England trails such as Moonshine, Domino for this reason.
Almost all of the comments were dated and that tree damage happened years ago with very different equipment this used today. At times, we will make snow in marginal conditions to get a base down in preparation for the season. The snow being made on Lower Jester last week was an example of that. We pushed until it became counter productive and turned off to resume when the cold resumes next week. It was wet but it will allow us to get enough depth to groom and that is an important trail to have in place for intermediate level skiers.

TSQURD

Said another way, the hike to CR is a little more strenuous then the walk from the lot. Probably best not to attempt the hike to CR if one finds the walk from the lot draining.

slatham

That is a very uninformed comment. It is very challenging to make snow on narrow trails. Winds direction, temperatures, humidity can change quickly. There is not snowmaking on many of our classic New England trails such as Moonshine, Domino for this reason.
Almost all of the comments were dated and that tree damage happened years ago with very different equipment this used today. At times, we will make snow in marginal conditions to get a base down in preparation for the season. The snow being made on Lower Jester last week was an example of that. We pushed until it became counter productive and turned off to resume when the cold resumes next week. It was wet but it will allow us to get enough depth to groom and that is an important trail to have in place for intermediate level skiers.

Win I think people are a bit "blinded by the white" and don't realize its late November/early Dec in VT. The great snow we've had doesn't change the need to take advantage of temps and put down base-type snow. Strange thing is with all the terrain open its pretty easy to avoid the guns if you know what your doing.....

HowieT2

In addition to curtailing when there are peak demand, there is a mandatory monthly curtailment. That is what this one wa. We had an earlier 50% curtailment. Because of our low energy equipment now we can run when 50% curtailed which is very helpful. There is nothing worse than having to shut down completely, drain the lines, and the start back up. It takes hours and the pressure on the pipes increases the risk of a break.

why do they do a mandatory monthly curtailment?

MorningWoods

Said another way, the hike to CR is a little more strenuous then the walk from the lot. Probably best not to attempt the hike to CR if one finds the walk from the lot draining.

+1. The hike can be particularly challenging if the snow isn’t packed. So, wait till later in the day or the next day after a storm, if you are worried. That said, my 10 year old did it with me. So, it’s nothing to be afraid of and very worth it most times. There are also a few places to stop and take in the view. There are also a couple of spots that need to be skied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawk

This whole thread is hilarious. Was Happy to ski good conditions early.

But what I am wondering is who it was that cut the illegal trail? It had to be totally obvious and stupid if they mountain found it on the first day they opened north linx. Complete and utter baffonery. LOL

mfi

We climbed Mad River, then over the App trail and downclimbed CR..that was murderous....in June.

tumbler

This whole thread is hilarious. Was Happy to ski good conditions early.

But what I am wondering is who it was that cut the illegal trail? It had to be totally obvious and stupid if they mountain found it on the first day they opened north linx. Complete and utter baffonery. LOL

I think they knew about it before Saturday, there was an article in the VR about it last week. My guess is the Forest Service found it when they do their periodic site visits. Utter buffoonery? 12/10 yes

MorningWoods

I think they knew about it before Saturday, there was an article in the VR about it last week. My guess is the Forest Service found it when they do their periodic site visits. Utter buffoonery? 12/10 yes

The VR also mentioned a lean to shelter someone had built in there that SB was going to take down. Sounds like some kids.

WinS

The VR also mentioned a lean to shelter someone had built in there that SB was going to take down. Sounds like some kids.

Yes, it was discovered earlier by the USFS. It was no kid as the construction of the lean to was quite sophisticated and large. The USFS has a lead and will prosecute if they can. This type of activity could ruin it for all. We have had a decade old vegetation management plan that was the first in the East. They have been very good about allowing us to have an open woods policy but this stupidity by an obviously irresponsible and selfish person could ruin this for all of us. Half of Sugarbush is on USFS land and we have a Special Use Permit that allows us to operate as we do. We have an excellent relationship and comply with the provisions of the permit. No cutting is allowed without permission. If any of you seen any unauthorized cutting or hear of it, please let us know so we keep what we all enjoy.

WinS

What a fabulous run. Sunday and today did remind us that it is still early December in Vermont. As it warmed up and rained, we did lose some depth but are still is great shape for this time of year. Howwver, it will take another storm to bring back the superb conditions that we have been enjoying. But as we love to say here in the NE, “ we are building a great base.” Today skied quite nicely from mid-mountain down as the summits had poorer visability and a thin glaze was forming as temps started down. The temps are falling quickly now with a possibility of an inch or two of snow overnight. We will resume snowmaking tonight on the GH side on Pushover, Slowepoke and Easy Rider so we have some good groomed beginner and intermediate terrain for next weekend. The GH lift will be closed until later in the week for that reason. Once done we will come back to mid- mountain on the Bravo side. Over at ME we need more depth on Upper Inverness and Brambles for GMVS and once done will be going back to Rim Run and completing a path to the bottom.

cdskier

Today skied quite nicely from mid-mountain down as the summits had poorer visability and a thin glaze was forming as temps started down.

This afternoon was my first day out finally. I ran some errands this morning when it was raining when I woke up. I’d fully agree with your assessment. From the top of bravo down was very nice and soft. Murphy’s and lower organgrinder had some nice soft bumps. Certainly nothing to complain about for the beginning of December.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

benski

Its to bad the illegal shelter is being taken down, I would have liked to see someone put a really sensitive smoke detector on there and a camera so we can watch whoever built it freak out.

MorningWoods

We climbed Mad River, then over the App trail and downclimbed CR..that was murderous....in June.

Nice. Do they still do the race up the mountain? I did the Vermont Gran Fondo. That was tough. Looking for a new challenge. Was hoping to see the AT race they used to do from MRG to Sugarbush. I think weather killed that the last couple times they tried. I wouldn’t mind doing that.