• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Coldest you have ever skied?

mfi

Friday and Saturday broke the record for me with -45 windchill recorded at the top of Stowe. I've never stayed out in such cold temps..it took its toll though. Saturday was a little better at -30 but still..this is insane. The wind on Friday was insane, blew it all into the trees but lower angle pow remained. A good 4 days but I got sick Sunday so Monday was a little rough. Another storm due so conditions will remain epic..and i even managed to get out to the kitchen wall..Getting there damn near killed me..hell of a traverse.

skiur

My first day skiing was in Feb either 02 or 03. I was at shawnee peak. When we got there around noon it was -9F. We stayed thru the day (lots of bar breaks) By the time they had turned on the lights for night skiing I had graduated of the bunny slope. When we left that night it was -25 real temp. Not just the coldest I have skied but also the coldest I have ever been outdoors in. Only been out in around -15 since that day.

BenedictGomez

I remember mine, it was -60 with wind chill at the top of Killington Peak.

We took one run and went over to Ramshead I believe, thinking lower would be better. It really wasn't. The rest of day was spent in the lodge, and I wasnt even 21 years old, so that stunk too.

skiur

I remember mine, it was -60 with wind chill at the top of Killington Peak.

We took one run and went over to Ramshead I believe, thinking lower would be better. It really wasn't. The rest of day was spent in the lodge, and I wasnt even 21 years old, so that stunk too.

Ramshead is the coldest lift at Killington!

Killingtime

Last year Mont St Anne, minus 26 real temp. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be although had to get the wife a pair of Hotronics socks. Did a 9:00 to 4:00 with a lot of breaks.

tnt1234

Last year, real temp in SB parking lot -14, with wind.

Years ago, at K-ton, couple of days were -30 wind chill. Last day of the trip was -60 wind chill and they closed the mountain except snowshed begginers slope.

2Planker

-29 air temp w/ 50-60 mph winds while Patrolling at SR. Equals a Wind Chill of -73 !

We made a few runs before they shut down everything except South Ridge & Lil White Cap....
Spent the day up top in the shack, waiting to see if we could reopen anything.

Last edited:

Glenn

-60 windchill at Burke some time in the early 1990's. It was damn cold.

mfi

Ok , so hows this: A guy I know out in Utah disputes the effect of windchill. Thinks its a perceived thing. I disagree. Thoughts.

mikec142

Coldest day I've ever skied was -30ish at Gore back in the early 80's. I don't know the exact reasons, but Gore and Whiteface always seem to be colder than anywhere else.

I skied at Sugarbush (Lincoln Peak) on Saturday and Sunday this past weekend. Even though the days started with negative temps (-8 on Sunday AM). I really wasn't that cold. My heels and big toes felt it, but that was it.

Glenn

Have you ever had those conversations at work?

"I don't know how you can ski! It's so cold out today! I was cold walking in."

"Well, I generally don't ski in khaki's and a button up shirt. Ski gear does help quite a bit..."

chuckstah

The coldest day I remember was maybe 30 years ago at Loon, -35 F air temp. Most cars in the condo lot didn't start, mine did, so off to the mountain after jump starting a couple cars. It was one run then warm up first thing, but the afternoon was a balmy -10 or so IIRC. Also remember a really cold windy day at MRG, but can't recall the temp. We bought one ride tickets, that were never collected, so ended up doing 3 or 4 runs, maybe one per hour with a warm up between. Those days are behind me now.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I hate when windchills are reported on the weather.I mean,even if its calm and 10 below I ski at 50 mph so the windchill is apparently 45 below.

Yes ....This is not even calculated ....

Skied killington -25 and a high of 0 for the day 15 mph wind with the sun shining . Stayed out all day and never got cold.

Skied Sugarbush -15 40mph wind Cloudy lasted 2 runs

I always put skin lotion on exposed face areas before going out ,helps cut evaporation .

I used to have problems with the tip my nose getting cold but have used a breathing technique to prevent this . While skiing fast or on a windy day I inhale through my mouth and exhale slowly through my nose . Breath normal when not skiing ,no more nose frostbite .