• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

tumbler

So why was the dedicated bus between LP and ME eliminated and replaced with a condo route? Long wait times at Slide Brook b/c bus is full. Now stating on snow report pack extra layers for wait times or skin to base area. The free bus is great but seems like a goof here. Bring back the big blue school buses!

djd66

So why was the dedicated bus between LP and ME eliminated and replaced with a condo route? Long wait times at Slide Brook b/c bus is full. Now stating on snow report pack extra layers for wait times or skin to base area. The free bus is great but seems like a goof here. Bring back the big blue school buses!

I agree. I first noticed this earlier in the season (before slidebrook was skiable) when I took the bus from South to North. The bus stopped at 4 different condos before heading over to North. I thought maybe it was just an early season thing,... but I guess it is not.

Here's an opportunity for some local to make a few bucks on the side by shuttling people from Slidebook to the ski area for $5/head Better yet, why doesn't the ski area just run the large bus back an forth like they did in the past?

benski

Getting to condos was an issue over MLK weekend was an issue too. They had a city bus back doing that route sunday.

KustyTheKlown

coming up for sat and sunday. maybe mad river sunday. really hoping the backside of this storm produces. we are committed with a rental house in waterbury with another couple. my girlfriend's best friend and her boyfriend, and their dog. total beginner skiers so as long as its sunny and they have the bunny slope they are fine (yay $49 january learn to ski deals). but i'll be rather bummed if i am limited to the groomers one week after the major dump. i was in CO for the dump. was glad to miss the holiday weekend crowds and brutal monday cold, but always sad to not be in the east when the big snow falls. our rental is directly behind pro pig. beers will be beered.

mikec142

I know that people stash a car at the base of slide brook...but is there legal parking there?

TSQURD

I think parking becomes a problem when the road gets blocked - like it was early sunday. People never cease to amaze me.

Shuttle driver told me they would only be running the big bus on holidays.

Hawk

Yes the buses have been an issue this year. There are more and more people going into slide brook some totally unprepared and clueless. Putting it on the snow report was the wrong thing to do. The word of mouth method worked way better in my opinion. They are not going to add additional buses so be prepared to wait anywhere from 30 minutes to over an hour at mid day.

Also do not plan to park down there. The way it is plowed this year only 2 or 3 cars can park. Also it is an active driveway! do not block the entrance as the residence need to get in and out. I know them and they said that there have been some total jackasses this year blocking them from getting in or out. Please be respectful.

WinS

Prettt lame to not update the narrative section of the snow report by 8 am

Yes, sorry about that. We has a no show so it is getting out now. Still some winds but dying down. Wet soft snow and starting to cool down after noon. It is around 40 base and summit. We hope we get an inch or two before the storm moves on.

WinS

This service is run by Green Mountain Transit and we supply the primarily private funding. The Bridges and Sugar Lodge pitch in too. Each year we have to negotiate with them on the routes and they look at ride numbers in making decision. We have a bus that leaves LP and ME every 20 minutes and does back and forth to the base areas stopping at Bridges, Club Sugarbush and the Sugarbush Inn along the way. On the busy weekends and Holidays they put the big bus on that runs continuously back and forth between the two areas and will pick up at Slidebrook.

KustyTheKlown

thanks win.

and no, i'm not skiing today, and yes, i can and do read weather reports. however, it's one of the ski area's jobs to post an accurate narrative report early enough in the morning for people to make the most informed decisions. once i saw them update the trail count etc but not the narrative this morning it almost felt to me like sugarbush was trying to avoid telling people that it was going to rain all day.

in any event, thank you win for being so communicative on here. i am looking forward to this weekend and really hoping that the backside and the clippers produce enough to salvage some off-piste skiing. we wanted to do MRG on sunday but i'm thinking we should save the skiVT pass for when the getting will be gooder.

cdskier

thanks win.

and no, i'm not skiing today, and yes, i can and do read weather reports. however, it's one of the ski area's jobs to post an accurate narrative report early enough in the morning for people to make the most informed decisions. once i saw them update the trail count etc but not the narrative this morning it almost felt to me like sugarbush was trying to avoid telling people that it was going to rain all day.

in any event, thank you win for being so communicative on here. i am looking forward to this weekend and really hoping that the backside and the clippers produce enough to salvage some off-piste skiing. we wanted to do MRG on sunday but i'm thinking we should save the skiVT pass for when the getting will be gooder.

I regularly read snow/weather reports every day. Mainly I look at Sugarbush and MRG, although I sometimes like to glance at our neighbors to the north and south to see what is going on there to try to get a better overall picture when weather gets "challenging". I noticed that Stowe seems to no longer have a narrative at all this year (unless it is just well hidden). I'm guessing that is the "Vail" model as I just went to Vail's website for comparison and don't see an actual narrative there either.

Glad to see Sugarbush still has a narrative, although I don't think it is as good as it was years ago. The snow reports back a number of years ago when Mark used to be the reporter are still some of my "reference points" for how reports should be written. I think now they tend to put a little too much of a positive spin on things at times. Then again, for anyone that follows the weather closely enough you usually will know what to expect for actual conditions without needing to read a snow report anyway!

rocks860

I remember being a kid and sitting and watching the trail report on tv (can’t remember what channel). I like the app much better although there’s certainly some nostalgia feeling for the old days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Julius

.. there’s certainly some nostalgia feeling for the old days.

Especially the older we get. I felt the weather report when I took the dogs out at 6. Could've used a different wax today that's for sure. Hoping for a quick changeover to that snow tail.

WinS

Today was a one run and done type of day. I did find out though that my new Stio gear was waterproof for at least a run. Tomorrow's conditions will depend totally on how this ends. At 1:30pm the summit temps are down to 35 from the mid-40's and it looks like we will be all snow around 4:30pm for 3-4 hours. A couple of inches will make a huge difference. We are not starting grooming until late in order to let the trails dry out as much as possible and thus won't have the time to groom everything by tomorrow am but will have a very heavy grooming plan for Friday night. Possibly a couple of clippers will freshen things up. I think we will turn snowmaking back on Sleeper to finish there and then on Downspout to refresh it. After that we will likely be ready to focus on the spring trails to build more depth. Fingers crossed for next week.

If you want to see how the wind is blowing and how the snowpack is holding up look at the time laps on our two snow stacks on the webcams. Works best from the website.

cdskier

If you want to see how the wind is blowing and how the snowpack is holding up look at the time laps on our two snow stacks on the webcams. Works best from the website.

The time lapse on those web cams is a really great feature and very useful.