• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jury Awards $3.3 Million Verdict Against Wachusett for Chairlift Incident

Quietman

Do you know how easy it is to lose focus when bumping chairs all day? It’s incredibly boring.

I have done it recently for 13 hours straight, ending at 3am. Mistakes can be made, but this one should have been caught by the lifty, or the backup in the shack. Two points: Prime directive, I always tell the lifties to take a look up the line, especially when loading kids to make sure that their buts are in the chair, ALWAYS!!!! I also think that the longer base stations required by QSQ lifts obstruct the view up the line, but that means that any signs of a miss load must be watched much more carefully. In my many years of skiing I have seen many lifties who casually bump a chair but never look up the line at all.

BenedictGomez

Seeing as a group of high school kids once got an entire base lodge couch onto the Minuteman Express and brought it to the top, nothing surprises me at Wachusett.

I never heard that story, that's amazing (although not in a great way).

Zand

I never heard that story, that's amazing (although not in a great way).

I know I have a picture of the couch sitting at the top of the lift on Facebook but I spent an hour looking for it last night and couldn't find it. I didn't believe it until I saw it myself. Still don't know how they even got it into the loading area.

drjeff

I know I have a picture of the couch sitting at the top of the lift on Facebook but I spent an hour looking for it last night and couldn't find it. I didn't believe it until I saw it myself. Still don't know how they even got it into the loading area.

I'm guessing it was in the PRE RFID gate days ;-)

Zand

I'm guessing it was in the PRE RFID gate days ;-)

Yes, BUT...

Minuteman has always had the variety of "separators" (or whatever you call the railings that separate each rider evenly before you ski onto the ramp) that hang from above, just like an RFID gate would. SO...still no idea how they did it. :D

I don't even remember how long ago it was...I want to say probably 6 or 7 years ago. I just remember sitting at the bar and a few different people were talking about how some assholes just brought a couch up the lift. I thought it was some kind of stupid made up rumor but sure enough, there it was at the top.

skiur

Gives the snowboarders somewhere comfortable to sit down when they strap in.

wa-loaf

That explains why the beer prices jumped in the last couple years ...