• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Season Pass Holders Party

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
god forbid some people from brooklyn come and spend their money in the catskills and hudson valley. we went to kingston and woodstock last weekend, with a stop near poughkeepsie at plan bee farm brewery on the way home. i guess we should just kill ourselves.

seriously tho, i hadn't been thru kingston in at least 20 years, and wow what a change that small city has undergone. unrecognizable to what it was when i was a teen

Relax dude....

VTKilarney

super positive. totally revitalized, especially by the water and then what i think they describe as 'uptown'

Kingston, New York, had a net population loss from migration of 3,069 between 2010 and 2018 — 1.7% of the metro's 2010 population of 182,493. That puts it well within the top 20 metro areas in the northeast for percentage population loss.

Kingston, New York, had a net population loss from migration of 3,069 between 2010 and 2018 — 1.7% of the metro's 2010 population of 182,493. That puts it well within the top 20 metro areas in the northeast for percentage population loss.

translation: they have no choice now but to pander to yuppie hipsters...a heaping helping of pure artisinal farm to table bullshit

BenedictGomez

So true. The Hipsters are the worst. And I bet there are plenty at Windham.

Self-righteous, arrogant, virtue signalling champions with a complete lack of self-awareness as to the ironic hypocrisy of their existence.

I've been to Kingston a lot in the last 10 to 12 years, and if it is tremendously improved from 20 years ago, then, yikes....

So Inclined

"Hipsters" = "anyone I don't like/anyone who looks like they like things different than me."

That word hasn't had any meaning whatsoever in at least a decade.

- lives in the Hudson Valley, occasionally rides his bike, forgot to shave for the past week, so...probably a "hipster"

So Inclined

No; if you live in NYC, you definitely would know what a hipster is.

I spend plenty of time in NYC, and I've been living in Greater North Brooklyn - aka the HV town with the biggest (and probably most-deserved) reputation for attracting weird-bearded, artisan-kombucha-drinking tattooed Williamsburg refugees - for a long time now.

There are plenty of people around who make ostentatious aesthetic choices that are easy to scoff at, if you're the scoffing type. There are plenty who seem to have let "irony" take over as their guiding personality trait. Here, there and everywhere.

But we as a society ought to find other ways of describing these people (among many things that we as a society ought to do.)

"Hipster" is a term that's been so thoroughly overused and bowdlerized to mean "anyone I don't like, because I take them to be weirder than me" as to be meaningless.

So Inclined

Expensive Brooklyn.

Hipsters don't generally live amongst the unwashed Brooklyn masses (though a hipster would never admit that).

See that's the thing, right? "Williamsburg" has been shorthand for hipsterdom for a decade-plus now, but most of the real salt-of-the-earth artsy types (as opposed to "creatives":rolleyes: ) - the real people who would actually be in "this cool obscure band, you wouldn't know about them though" got squeezed outta there and places like that by the finance/tech bros and condo developers years ago. They're getting squeezed out of places like this, now too.

I think you're all talking about something a little different - upper middle class poseurs. It just so happens they can grow facial hair and get tattoos and crow obnoxiously about craft cocktails and so on - all things that get to be pretty precious, though harmless - so they get this label and it's stuck. I still don't think it's of any use.

VTKilarney

Only a hipster would claim that the term “hipster” has no meaning.