• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Dog friendly lodging?

Razor

New to the Ikon Pass this year. Taking a year away from the River to branch out a bit. We have a great place in Bethel to stay with our dog. Do any of you know good dog-friendly places to stay around Killington, Sugarbush and Stratton? We're mid-week skiers.

KustyTheKlown

cortina inn on route 4 between K and Pico. you can tell it was nice in the 80s. its not nice now, but its not the rodeway inn rutland either. dog friendly.

the problem is that if youre a standard weekend skier like i am, what do you do with the dog sunday morning after you check out but want to get at least a half day of skiing in.

KustyTheKlown

answering my own question. a little out of the way (just south of rut on 7), but these guys appear to do doggy day care beginning at 8 AM on a weekend for ~$20. would work out well if you find a dog friendly motel in rutland proper and dont mind a 15-20 minute drive to K

http://wundrlandpetlodge.com/play-dates/

ive been thinking about this a lot because gf and i really want a dog. our big issues are skiing, and the regular mid-day walk when we are both at work. insane expense in NYC (~$500/mo).

skiur

I forget the name of the hotel, but 3/4 way up the Killington access road is Baja Burrito, and whatever hotel that is in that building is dog friendly.

Killington Chalet is the name

Last edited:

RENO

cortina inn on route 4 between K and Pico. you can tell it was nice in the 80s. its not nice now, but its not the rodeway inn rutland either. dog friendly.

the problem is that if youre a standard weekend skier like i am, what do you do with the dog sunday morning after you check out but want to get at least a half day of skiing in.

This isn't a hotel anymore. Converting to some type of senior living property...

ironhippy

ive been thinking about this a lot because gf and i really want a dog. our big issues are skiing, and the regular mid-day walk when we are both at work. insane expense in NYC (~$500/mo).

I had a dog with a thick coat that I used to leave in the car during ski days. He prefered to be outside in the winter and would just sleep while I was skiing. However this was always in a lot I could (would) access a couple of times during the day. I would not do it if I could not easily get back to my vehicle or the lot was overly huge.

Depending on your hours, a mid day walk is not necessary if the dog is more than a year old. Most dogs are good for 12 hours.
However this assumes they are getting adequate exercise/stiumulation or else you could end up with a wrecked house.

Dogs are awesome.

KustyTheKlown

^

i agree re: the dog being able to last 12 hours without a walk. and really for us it would be less. we could walk at 9 and at 6 every day pretty much without impacting our work schedules. problem is girlfriend is firmly of the mindset that this would be cruel and inhumane. she wont budge on the mid-day walk, so we either need dog friendly offices, or a mid-day walker, or doggy day care. :(

re: keeping dog in a car at a ski area. a friend in seattle has a big boy white husky. we brought him to stevens pass, parked in the upper lot, left him in the back of a chevy suburban with a dog bed, blankets, lots of water and food and toys. we came back to the car around 11 and 2 to let him out and and eat lunch/drink beers. there were tons of other people in the lot doing the same.

this was great, but i have never seen anything like this in the east. honestly, i think someone would break your window open to free the dog in the east.

jaytrem

I've a seen a number of dogs leashed to bumpers over the years at ski areas. Don't recall east/west or where ever. Seen enough times that it doesn't surprise me though.

ironhippy

^

i agree re: the dog being able to last 12 hours without a walk. and really for us it would be less. we could walk at 9 and at 6 every day pretty much without impacting our work schedules. problem is girlfriend is firmly of the mindset that this would be cruel and inhumane. she wont budge on the mid-day walk, so we either need dog friendly offices, or a mid-day walker, or doggy day care. :(

re: keeping dog in a car at a ski area. a friend in seattle has a big boy white husky. we brought him to stevens pass, parked in the upper lot, left him in the back of a chevy suburban with a dog bed, blankets, lots of water and food and toys. we came back to the car around 11 and 2 to let him out and and eat lunch/drink beers. there were tons of other people in the lot doing the same.

this was great, but i have never seen anything like this in the east. honestly, i think someone would break your window open to free the dog in the east.

yeah I can understand the cruelty aspect, however the reality is if the dog is properly exercised/stimulated, they will spend most of the day sleeping. Even when we are at home and active, if the dogs aren't involved they are normally napping somewhere.

I'd also be worried that someone would break a window in some of the areas in the east if they saw a dog in there. I understand in the heat of the summer, but in the winter time the dog will be fine (at least during the day).

Razor

While I appreciate the discussion of dogs staying in the car (We do it all the time), I'd like to get back to my original question which was to find some dog friendly places to stay. Thanks.

thebigo

Long trail inn across from pico had a few exterior rooms for through hikers with dogs. Havent stayed there in the winter but I would to guess they allow dogs in those rooms year round. Bonus is you can have a few pints of Guinness in the pub and not worry about driving.

JimG.

Staff member

A few years back I watched a scene in the K1 lot where someone smashed the sunroof of an SUV with a snowboard to liberate a dog.

Killingtime

Long trail inn across from pico had a few exterior rooms for through hikers with dogs. Havent stayed there in the winter but I would to guess they allow dogs in those rooms year round. Bonus is you can have a few pints of Guinness in the pub and not worry about driving.

McGrath's Irish Pub. Great bar with really good food and usually has live music. .

RENO

Contact some of the rental agencies on the road. Many condos that rent to people with dogs. If it's a hotel, Chalet Killington is the closest. We've also stayed at Val Roc http://www.valroc.com/ on Rt 4 very close to the Skyeship base area and gondola. They were good also. It's been many years, but I think they still allow dogs.

I would NEVER EVER EVERRRRRRRR leave my dog in the car in the parking lot! I don't trust all the idiots that would be out there.

JimG.

Staff member
sunroof is an interesting choice of egress.

I spectated only but it seemed the person who did the smashing of glass was not only trying to rescue the dog but also to leave the owner with a message that leaving the dog in the car was unacceptable. I doubt the smasher expected the SUV owner to arrive on scene to check on their dog.

It got really ugly when the police arrived.