• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Mtn Expansion Details

slatham

Ski mag has an article on Hunter North and the controversies thereof. I wasn't fully aware of the injuries and deaths last winter on the new trails.

cdskier

Ski mag has an article on Hunter North and the controversies thereof. I wasn't fully aware of the injuries and deaths last winter on the new trails.

I thought it was covered pretty well on this forum last year, but I'd still be curious to read what they had to say. Is the article online or just in the physical magazine?

Slidebrook87

Since this is a thread about Hunter, I thought I'd bring up two points. Ever since the Zephyr Express was installed, it appears that both Annapurna and Westway haven't been open a lot. It seemed as though Peak just didn't want to make snow on them anymore. As a result of this, the area isn't nearly as popular as it should be. Another point is the Highlands area of the mountain. It hasn't been open in years, and the lift that serves it is in quite rough shape. Racing used to occur on this trail, but it has since been moved. I wonder if Vail will ever install a new lift or refurbish the current one to get that area open again. It seems like a nice little area, but not exactly practical to have open. I could see an Epic Mix racecourse on this trail, but that would most likely be off of the B Quad. Maybe private racing could be held on Highlands and the lift could be for racers only? I'm curious to see what Vail does with these two areas during this coming ski season.

So Inclined

Maybe private racing could be held on Highlands and the lift could be for racers only? I'm curious to see what Vail does with these two areas during this coming ski season.

The only skiers I ever see on the Highlands in recent seasons were racers. I think it's used for training/racing a bit, not much?
As long as we're talking about small favors on that side of the hill, I hope Vail finds it in them to drop the rope on Central Park this year, too. Peak completely forgot about it/ignored it the last couple years. For a place that should take all the intermediate trails it can get...
I agree with you about Anna and Westway.

kingslug

Hope they focus on maintenance..seems like peaks did not..a broken driveshaft is a pretty seriouse issue..preventative maintenance is always better than reactive ...
Then get something going with the west side...

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Hope they focus on maintenance..seems like peaks did not..a broken driveshaft is a pretty seriouse issue..preventative maintenance is always better than reactive ...
Then get something going with the west side...

I really dont think it was a broken driveshaft. If that was the case, we would have been evacuated. I was on the lift right before it was emptied. Was done too quickly for mechanical. MIght be a Power Board issue. That was the issue last time.

Slidebrook87

According to Win, one of the majority owners was the Sackler family. They were extremely controversial for their creation of OxyContin. May explain part of why Peak failed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deadheadskier

Staff member
I thought it was covered pretty well on this forum last year, but I'd still be curious to read what they had to say. Is the article online or just in the physical magazine?
Definitely were multiple discussions about it here. Lots of shade being thrown at Hunter for poor trail design being responsible for those accidents on Upper Intermediate terrain.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
According to Win, one of the majority owners was the Sackler family. They were extremely controversial for their creation of OxyContin. May explain part of why Peak failed.

Peaks as a company never "failed". They poured MILLIONS into Mount Snow, and kept the rest of their properties alive. When mountains were getting picked up left and right by Vail and former Altera, they committed financial suicide buying up Snowtime and Hunter. They waited a couple years and then got bought out for a ton of money. What Peaks did in 15 years or so is absolutely incredible...going from owning a few molehills in the midwest to being bought out by a ski giant.

Right/wrong you can argue about...but in an extremely volatile industry they cashed out BIG.

Unfortunately with their on-hill improvements they picked favorites. I don't think any other mountain in the northeast has seen as much investment as Mount Snow in the past 15 years. Every snowgun on the mountain has been replaced in Peaks time, the West Lake, new Carinthia lodge, the Bluebird, and growing Carinthia into the Mecca of terrain parks on the East Coast.

Slidebrook87

I haven’t done a ton of research on Peak, but I do understand that their business model wasn’t the best in some places. At some places they just didn’t express a desire to open terrain or lifts. I’d be curious to learn more about them, but I really haven’t yet. I know more about ASC and older companies.

tnt1234

Peaks as a company never "failed". They poured MILLIONS into Mount Snow, and kept the rest of their properties alive. When mountains were getting picked up left and right by Vail and former Altera, they committed financial suicide buying up Snowtime and Hunter. They waited a couple years and then got bought out for a ton of money. What Peaks did in 15 years or so is absolutely incredible...going from owning a few molehills in the midwest to being bought out by a ski giant.

Right/wrong you can argue about...but in an extremely volatile industry they cashed out BIG.

Unfortunately with their on-hill improvements they picked favorites. I don't think any other mountain in the northeast has seen as much investment as Mount Snow in the past 15 years. Every snowgun on the mountain has been replaced in Peaks time, the West Lake, new Carinthia lodge, the Bluebird, and growing Carinthia into the Mecca of terrain parks on the East Coast.

Yeah, I don't particularly care for Mt. Snow, but I think Peaks developed it very nicely considering what they have there.

So, is the Oxytocin family no longer an owner?

cdskier

I haven’t done a ton of research on Peak, but I do understand that their business model wasn’t the best in some places. At some places they just didn’t express a desire to open terrain or lifts. I’d be curious to learn more about them, but I really haven’t yet. I know more about ASC and older companies.

This article explains a bit of the history of the Sackler family ownership (they only became majority owners in November 2018 when Peaks needed financing for the Snowtime acquisition and traded them quite a bit of preferred stock to get the money)

https://www.dvalnews.com/news/peak-resorts’-largest-investor-has-ties-opioid-manufacturer

Slidebrook87

I hate to be “that guy”, but it says page not found.