• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail suspending all ski operations immediately

BenedictGomez

Let's play.

Yes, let's derail another thread with climate change during coranavirus, to boot.

Let's make it easier, instead of derailing this thread, just revive one of the other 1,000 threads on Global Warming. Perhaps pick one of the ones from the 2010 ski season which claimed there would be no eastern skiing left in America by 2020.

fbrissette

Yes, let's derail another thread with climate change during coranavirus, to boot.

Let's make it easier, instead of derailing this thread, just revive one of the other 1,000 threads on Global Warming. Perhaps pick one of the ones from the 2010 ski season which claimed there would be no eastern skiing left in America by 2020.

Science never said there would be no skiing by 2020. America is politically divided and this is a topic that is perfectly aligned with the political divide. There are uninformed idiots on each side of the fence. Don't listen to them. Listen to the scientists.

One party and its president, supported by half of the voting population, is pushing a distrust of science and that is scaring me a lot more than the coronavirus.

ScottySkis

Apologies. Wishing them/you the best. Hang in there!

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

Thanks. I been staying inside my apartment for much before it came to masses .
I do everything to avoid getting this virus if possible because of multiple asthma and past
Restipority and other things that are not good combination for anyone

From great doctor that I followed on facecrap

"There are 166 confirmed cases in Albany County now and that is without any outpatient testing in over a week (my guess is there are 1000+ cases here). Today I spoke to close physician friends of mine, both at our local hospitals and in NYC telling me the reality of what is going on in the hospitals. In NYC it's very bad. 13 people died just yesterday at Elmhurst Hospital. We know more now- this isn't just affecting the elderly. There are multiple young people in their 30s, 40s and 50s who are in critical condition fighting for their lives. Supplies are still low. If anyone has masks, please donate them to the hospitals. COVID-19 is spreading like wild fire LOCALLY. I hear from people that parks such as the Crossings are filled with people today, like it was a normal summer day. STOP DOING THIS. STAY HOME. Stay in your OWN yards. Stay away from your neighbors. Try to go to the grocery stores as little as you possibly can. If you are out of a few items, try to do without and eat what you do have at home. My heart breaks for all those affected. Please please stay home."

ScottySkis

James Kious Kelly, a 48-year-old assistant nursing manager at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York, dies after contracting coronavirus.

Edd

Move to Vancouver or Calgary. You can get your brand of politics and world class skiing within ~2 hours.

Been to and skied out of both. And dang, it does not suck.

Can’t speak to the politics of different Canadian provinces but...the folks in the Banff area were some of the nicest I’ve met in my life. Quebec, less so. However, my trip to Quebec City, MSA, and Le Massif last year was amazing. We felt more welcome there than a previous trip to Montreal and Tremblant but, this is subjective stuff.

I used to live in WA state and my visits to Canada have been largely positive experiences. I actually moved from WA to NH by driving across Canada, which to this day I think was a stroke of genius. There’s a funny story in an Ontario bar that I’ll post here sometime.

EPB

Been to and skied out of both. And dang, it does not suck.

Can’t speak to the politics of different Canadian provinces but...the folks in the Banff area were some of the nicest I’ve met in my life. Quebec, less so. However, my trip to Quebec City, MSA, and Le Massif last year was amazing. We felt more welcome there than a previous trip to Montreal and Tremblant but, this is subjective stuff.

I used to live in WA state and my visits to Canada have been largely positive experiences. I actually moved from WA to NH by driving across Canada, which to this day I think was a stroke of genius. There’s a funny story in an Ontario bar that I’ll post here sometime.
Cool. I have family opposite the sound from Seattle, so I know that area a little bit. Also made a mini jaunt though Toronto on my way to move from Boston to St. Paul a while back and loved it.

The Québécois and French tend to really like me because I can speak French. I understand that's rare, and even my wife doesn't feel the warmth when we visit francophone areas. The number one thing I've heard from the Québécois is how nice it is that a New Englander like me cares to learn French more than my fellow millennials living on the island of Montreal.

You may find this funny amidst all the political craziness these days, but I'd actually love to spend a year in Montreal/Quebec if I could ever swing it.

BenedictGomez

I actually moved from WA to NH by driving across Canada, which to this day I think was a stroke of genius.

That does sound like a great idea. Only negative in my book is radar detectors are illegal in Canada. That and Canuck highways often leave something to be desired in terms of maintenance versus American highways. But for those who've done the cross USA trip several times I think it'd be great.

You may find this funny amidst all the political craziness these days, but I'd actually love to spend a year in Montreal/Quebec if I could ever swing it.

Not crazy at all. I took a few years of French when I lived in n.VT & visited Montreal regularly, to the point that I know the city very well. I tried to "spend a year" there by applying to a school for my MBA, knowing it would be brutally difficult as Canadian schools accept very few Americans, and alas, I did not get in. :sad:

VTKilarney

That does sound like a great idea. Only negative in my book is radar detectors are illegal in Canada. That and Canuck highways often leave something to be desired in terms of maintenance versus American highways. But for those who've done the cross USA trip several times I think it'd be great.:

Don’t forget the price of gasoline in Canada. That’s a turnoff.