• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing is back!

cdskier

My thought is if VT is unwilling to allow hotels to open for normal business until 6/1 and that is an activity that easily allows for social distancing, there's no chance they allow activities such as skiing which will promote large gatherings of people. I don't see the typical spring skiing crowd "behaving" at K and not having group tailgate parties.

Fully agree with this.

The marketing opportunity and making pass holders happy would be well worth it.

Except if they had a lottery system, inevitably some (or perhaps even many) passholders wouldn't even be able to take advantage if they had to limit access and would be pissed off. If they were to open, demand would far outpace supply. Never-mind the public reaction if they did end up having a large gathering because people don't follow the rules and someone, somehow brought the virus into the area.

drjeff

Fully agree with this.

Except if they had a lottery system, inevitably some (or perhaps even many) passholders wouldn't even be able to take advantage if they had to limit access and would be pissed off. If they were to open, demand would far outpace supply. Never-mind the public reaction if they did end up having a large gathering because people don't follow the rules and someone, somehow brought the virus into the area.
Especially when you consider that for K right now, passholders can be both the K specific passholders, as well as IKON passholders who may still have some of their K days left.

Trying to sort through that mess alone, let alone with the potential volume of people it involves who have one or the other or even both passes, has way more potential for negatives than positives

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

Zermatt

Just wait a few days. The Supreme Court and US Attorney General could waive away any restrictions. Businesses could still choose to be restrictive but not forced by the states.

Edd

Just wait a few days. The Supreme Court and US Attorney General could waive away any restrictions. Businesses could still choose to be restrictive but not forced by the states.

What leads you to believe this?

BenedictGomez

What leads you to believe this?

I agree with him.

I have to imagine we're getting pretty close to an emergency ruling SCOTUS case here. I'm kind of shocked we haven't already. This is completely unprecedented, which is precisely SCOTUS' territory. Now, I get NYC & northern NJ locking down, but we have places in America where COVID19 frankly isnt even that big of a deal "locking down" & creating major economic hardship, not to mention restrictions on freedoms, even of movement. Paging SCOTUS, you're gonna' be steppin' up to the plate soon.

VTKilarney

And now the WHO is begrudgingly admitting that Sweden may have got this right.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Hmmmm sounds like the doctors who’s video got taken down may be in to something - go figure

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
So, there was really two points those docs in a box were trying to make.

Point 1,while controversial, was questioning how effective social distancing is towards controlling the spread of the disease. It's a worthy discussion and something that will be debated for years.

Point 2 was downplaying the severity of the illness and making the stupid flu comparison. That's the one that likely had ACEP say, "Oh hell no. FU!", and resulted in the videos being pulled. They had a very cavalier attitude on that point and anyone with a clue could tell right then and there that their motivation was purely self serving in returning business back to normal for their for profit Urgent Care center. It was most certainly not made because they cared about public health.

For the past two months I've been assisting hospitals in hard hit areas of Boston and Northern NJ with equipment consultation and purchases to battle this disease. The stories and fear I've listened to have been horrifying. I don't even cover NJ, but have had to step in because our resources have been completely overwhelmed there. To a person, none of these healthcare workers have seen the rate and volume of death in their entire careers. Nothing close. Honestly anyone who says it's "just like the flu" should be smacked upside the head and forced to volunteer at a hot spot hospital loading body bags into a freezer truck. I don't truly mean that, but it's pretty darn infuriating hearing people say "it's just like the flu" if you have direct experience dealing with this situation. That's a completely ignorant statement and those docs are Aholes for trying to make that point

You can feel the way I do and also be fearful of the economic consequences we are facing because of the shut down. Those are not mutually exclusive positions.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

1dog

1st, thank you for the assistance you're giving to the local hospitals in the NE. Context is important.

Why wasn't the video left up? I wasn't aware there is a thought police that decides for us what's cavalier and whats not.

Saw the video the day it came out, and my only take-away was the comparisons to lock downs have not made a stattistical difference.

less than 60 deaths in Maine, yet 150,000 are out of work, or in this video-4 mins, evidence that no kids carry or deliver the disease to other people, so why aren't they in school?

https://videos.whatfinger.com/2020/...s-afraid-to-tell-you-in-the-news-this-week-5/

Models have been wrong. Hospitals in most places not overwhelmed, many empty - Javits closed? Hospital ships sent out to sea?

No way to tell how many more deaths if we had not locked down.

I've got 5 people in my immediate family in healthcare, docs, nurses, nurse docs, and my oldest daughter who tested negative working at local Hartfard hospital, but her spouse tested positive. three kids, all hopefully exposed and have antibodies. Others at Dana Farber/UMASS

I even got tested in the hopes I had antibodies. . . . negative.

The lack of actual comparisons to other maladies make this hard to navigate - few of us do not trust actual state or federal government stats.

Look at the PA retraction of 200 deaths that were not Covid but were marked. A 30,000' view is needed.

How come not one MA state employee has been laid off? Essential? You do good work, are close to the front lines in the worst of areas, but 330M Americans are suffering most likely needlessly because of an overreaction.

PS - have lost two people close to me from the disease.

VTKilarney

In hindsight, the vulnerable should have locked down while the healthy were allowed to continue to work with some social distancing rules in place.

Sweden nailed it.

Edd

Why wasn't the video left up? I wasn't aware there is a thought police that decides for us what's cavalier and whats not.

As noted in another thread, it’s YouTube’s portal. I understand disagreeing with their content decisions but “thought police” is dramatic, at best.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
As noted in another thread, it’s YouTube’s portal. I understand disagreeing with their content decisions but “thought police” is dramatic, at best.

There's lots of stupid advice in the Homeopathic subject searches on Youtube that will " endanger" your health . That seems to be the reason they gave for pulling it. I get this is an unfamiliar affliction but it seems they used the 3rd party point the finger at the WHO as gospel when they really F..up in the beginning . Seems the truth one day is not the next.

The comment section or header could be a place for any warnings . People have questioned if they are now taking on editorial task are they now Liable for consequences? Seems they'd like to have it both ways with no consequences.

Yes they have the right to police there forums but also should be criticized for a piss poor job.

p_levert

In hindsight, the vulnerable should have locked down while the healthy were allowed to continue to work with some social distancing rules in place.

Sweden nailed it.

And the UK blew it, right? And the difference is? Both went after herd immunity, but it didn't work out in the UK.

You could argue that Sweden has an excellent health care system that could handle the extra load, effective leadership, and they kept politics out of the mix. For better or worse, I think we are more like the UK than Sweden. Actually, we're more screwed up than the UK because the federal government is ineffective.

BenedictGomez

And now the WHO is begrudgingly admitting that Sweden may have got this right.

I think it's still too early to say that until we can apples-to-apples better compare nation's fatality rates, which we just cant do so easily right now as some nation's are under-reporting COVID19 & some nations are over-reporting COVID19. We're over-reporters, for instance, but eventually this will likely be statistically sorted-out, but it may take a few years.

That said, the Sweden thing is fairly close to the idea I posted here before this started, I wanted those >=62 & those with commodities sheltering in place to self-quarantine, and everyone else social distance. Anyone who can work from home does. Cancel large gatherings like festivals, concerts, sports, etc.

BenedictGomez

You could argue that Sweden has an excellent health care system that could handle the extra load, effective leadership, and they kept politics out of the mix. For better or worse, I think we are more like the UK than Sweden. Actually, we're more screwed up than the UK because the federal government is ineffective.

The US has far superior healthcare capacity & equipment than every European nation you listed, which is why not a single person from sea-to-shining-sea in America has died from COVID19 because they didnt get a ventilator, even though we have the most reported COVID19 cases on Planet Earth. This in contrast to several European nations where people are dying due to the very penny-pinching nature of their oft-praised healthcare regimes.