• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

abc

I would think the coin slots and locking mechanism would freeze up during the new england winter making the lockers useless.
That and it would probably get covered in snow where it would become useless.
Big Sky has an outdoor bag check.

Don't see why they can't do the same. Especially if they're going to do outdoor BBQ

dlague

Just a thought, why couldn't the ski areas have a lot more benches, picnic tables etc next to the parking lot. Then have coin operated lockers outside of their building. That way people could put ski boots on closer to the base, then dump their crap in a outdoor locker. While using the outdoor locker, people can be polite and social distancing while going to their lockers.

Why invest in something that is temporary! Your stuff would get cold in any case and on days where it is snowing and blustery they might even freeze.

I would not be surprised if they set up tents with a bag check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nhskier1969

Why invest in something that is temporary! Your stuff would get cold in any case and on days where it is snowing and blustery they might even freeze.

I would not be surprised if they set up tents with a bag check.

I think it would be a wise investment. Once this is over next year, they could bring the lockers inside. When you go out west, you never see day bags under tables or hanging up in the cafeteria or restaurants. They have a dedicated room with Lockers so there won't be clutter in the cafeteria. Infact if you have ever been to Snowmass, they have lockers set up right outside the shuttle drop off.

nhskier1969

Should be interesting how ski areas manage their bottom line this year.
Opening later in season and closing earlier in spring
Cut their snow making budgets down
start charging $30 for a cheeseburger instead of $15
Maybe charge for premium parking at the base.
Also I know a lot of resorts hire seasonal foreign students each year.

dlague

I think it would be a wise investment. Once this is over next year, they could bring the lockers inside. When you go out west, you never see day bags under tables or hanging up in the cafeteria or restaurants. They have a dedicated room with Lockers so there won't be clutter in the cafeteria. Infact if you have ever been to Snowmass, they have lockers set up right outside the shuttle drop off.

I have skied 14 ski areas in Colorado and I do not see an abundance of lockers. Keystone has may be 100 or so on the mountain house side and maybe 50 on the village side. Vail has some outdoor locker areas spread out. Breck has some at each base area. But a large number either boot up at their car or at the lodge.

machski

That story missed the biggest nugget. In the screening questions, they include if you have a RUNNY NOSE you are asked to not ski that day! Didn't realize that was a symptom of Covid. Ridiculous, it's winter and we are being asked to be outside ALL SKI DAY as much as possible. Who would get a runny nose from that?

https://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=860

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

2Planker

We'll be firing up the Mini Winnie for our day trips...
Perfect for booting up, eating lunch, BBQ and even a lil parking lot apres ski...

Have 2 friends who alreay want to rent it out for Xmas & Feb vacation weeks.
We'll have to see about that....

dblskifanatic

I mentioned this earlier but I will be curious as to how many people will wear backpacks and ...... how many will get caught on lifts?

Killingtime

I mentioned this earlier but I will be curious as to how many people will wear backpacks and ...... how many will get caught on lifts?

Ha! I've never witnessed that before until it happened to a friends wife. Freaked her out. Thankfully the lift operator was on the ball and saw what was happening. I've never worn a backpack on the mountain but probably will this coming season. Most likely just hold it in my lap on the way up to avoid problems, but yeah it will be an interesting year.

Smellytele

Ha! I've never witnessed that before until it happened to a friends wife. Freaked her out. Thankfully the lift operator was on the ball and saw what was happening. I've never worn a backpack on the mountain but probably will this coming season. Most likely just hold it in my lap on the way up to avoid problems, but yeah it will be an interesting year.

Should have room next to you unless skiing with 4 or on a double

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dblskifanatic

Many of the Colorado ski areas have signs asking people to remove their back packs before they get on the lift. I do that as well when I have a pack. There is only on lift at Loveland with a safety bar sitting on all the others with a pack on feels sketchy.

Smellytele

Many of the Colorado ski areas have signs asking people to remove their back packs before they get on the lift. I do that as well when I have a pack. There is only on lift at Loveland with a safety bar sitting on all the others with a pack on feels sketchy.

Agree on that. And having it on with a bar squishes you up against it.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

x10003q

That story missed the biggest nugget. In the screening questions, they include if you have a RUNNY NOSE you are asked to not ski that day! Didn't realize that was a symptom of Covid. Ridiculous, it's winter and we are being asked to be outside ALL SKI DAY as much as possible. Who would get a runny nose from that?

https://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=860

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

The runny nose question is absurd. I have a deviated septum and allergies. My nose runs all year around. It is worse in the winter. The longer I am out in the cold the more my nose runs. If they use this there will be a lot of people not skiing.

Here is another question - will they send people home with runny noses who are already skiing? If not, what is the difference between skiing and a long walk across the parking lot before skiing to get your nose running?

machski

The runny nose question is absurd. I have a deviated septum and allergies. My nose runs all year around. It is worse in the winter. The longer I am out in the cold the more my nose runs. If they use this there will be a lot of people not skiing.

Here is another question - will they send people home with runny noses who are already skiing? If not, what is the difference between skiing and a long walk across the parking lot before skiing to get your nose running?
Exactly. Well, I certainly won't test that, I'll be stopping mid trail to blow my nose this winter and not in eyeshot of a lift base/top or facility.

The other question is, if we have to "certify" the Covid questionaire prior to being able to access our pass/ticket daily, how will they implement that? Will the resorts be responsible for this (seems most likely)? With RFID, it is conceivable they could tie the daily online questionaire to your pass/ticket card and if it hasn't been accepted online, lock your pass out of the gates. Fun stuff...

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

zoomzoom

Smellytele

oh, oh. looks like our neighbor's infection rates are going in the wrong direction and the gov is reacting as promised. as is the mayor of nyc.

https://www.wcax.com/2020/10/06/gov-scott-to-hold-pandemic-press-conference/

here's the travel/quarantine map, updated every tues. much worse than a few weeks ago. mass, conn and metro nyc folks are having probs and it's not looking good.

https://accd.vermont.gov/covid-19/restart/cross-state-travel
I am yellow now...