• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Member Introductions Thread

mrksn

Another new guy

Hey everyone, I found AZ through Google when finding rss feeds to add to my page. Started skiing since I was a wee lad learning the ropes at Sterling Forest and Vernon Valley back in the day. After college I moved to South Jersey.. now the Poconos are the closest places I hit up. You can find me at Blue (I crack up reading every one of GrilledSteeze's posts lol), Camelback, and JFBB. I'll be 29 in a few weeks and look forward to the next 29+ years to ski!

On a side note, bvibert - I've had your SAC page open probably every day the past year+ Thanks for all the alerts thus far, most of the gear I have now thanks you for their new home :smile:

Hey everyone, I found AZ through Google when finding rss feeds to add to my page. Started skiing since I was a wee lad learning the ropes at Sterling Forest and Vernon Valley back in the day. After college I moved to South Jersey.. now the Poconos are the closest places I hit up. You can find me at Blue (I crack up reading every one of GrilledSteeze's posts lol), Camelback, and JFBB. I'll be 29 in a few weeks and look forward to the next 29+ years to ski!

On a side note, bvibert - I've had your SAC page open probably every day the past year+ Thanks for all the alerts thus far, most of the gear I have now thanks you for their new home :smile:

Welcome to AlpineZone..I guess I have another groupie..:snow:

bvibert

Staff member

Welcome to the forums!

Thanks, I'm glad you find the SAC tracker useful! It's good to hear feedback, if not for the server records I wouldn't know if anyone uses it...

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com

Poconos, enjoy Grilled Steeze's post, you poor thing. :cry: But hey, welcome! :lol:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
but these last few years I've favored variety and better conditions and aimed for getting the most days

-Jerry

Welcome Jerry,
You and a few other new joins have expressed an interest in more ad-hoc, go where the goods are approach to skiing. That's my deal and why I find it difficult to commit to some of the arranged trips posted here a week or more in advance. Nothing against them, they are skiers and boarders of the highest quality and integrity..... but you know the powder days saying about friends... ;) . I often don't decide till that morning. For me it is often VT or NH, and rarely MA.

So for me, I use the AZ radio frequency (posted elswhere, I fergetz...) and give a shout a couple times during the day. I've not had any luck with others monitoring it, but I'm going to persist, now that these radios are cheapo.

So I'll encourage all to give a shout on the radio if you want to do a run or two together.

Welcome again,
Bill

BuddyDog

Another new member.

Hi all, my name is Rob and I recently found this forum. I live in central MA and work in Boston. My screen name is in memory of my best friend Buddy who passed away in Sept. '07. Buddy was a lab/shepard rotty mix who did lots of mountain biking and hiking with me.
I work in the construction industry, so winter is slow as far as work goes. I am in my mid 30's . I have been an avid mountain biker since 1990, with 7 years of downhill racing experience. Today I ride 2-3 days a week between May and November, depending on weather. I also spend time cutting new bike trails(legal of course) and maintaining the trails.
Anyway, ski history: skied on and off as a child at Ward Hill in Shrews. MA and Wachusette, hockey took up most of my teenage years.I began skiing 3-4 times a week while attending Plymouth State College '90 -'92 and working at Waterville on weekends. Since then I only get out around a dozen times a year. I have lost alot of skiing buddies to the American dream, jobs and kids.
My style of skiing, trees mostly but run groomers in order to work on technique. I would rate myself at about mid level expert, can ski any terrain but occassionally my form falls apart. Typical area's visited, Jay Peak(alway's finish the day with a Big Jay run), Smuggler's Notch (backbowls mostly) and Cannon for day trips. I have some experience with backcountry trips, Tear Drop on Mansfield and Tuckermans,plus some local stuff when the snows right. If I had my choice and friends willing I would spend 90% of my time in backcountry.
Epic powder days, last year Valantines day storm at MountSnow, my wife understood. The biggest day was Jay Peak on St Patrick's day '07. That was amazing, fresh tracks until about 1:30pm when all the drunks shook off their hang overs, so my buddy and I headed over to Big Jay. We were the first to hit the trail over, my AT set-up was broken so I was snow shoeing along the ridge breaking trail in 2+ feet when 3 local's past me on AT set-up about 100yds before dropping in! I wanted first tracks, oh well still the best day I ever had.
Great forum guys, thanks for setting it up.
Rob

bvibert

Staff member
Welcome BuddyDog! Be sure to check out our Cycling Forum, we could use a little more MTB influence in there... ;)

BTW, I merged you thread into this one to keep all the new member introductions in one place.

lerops

Hi all!

Have been following for a while, decided to join. I am newer to skiing than most of you, if not all. I started skiing a couple of years ago. The moment I put skiis under my feet, I knew this was for me. So, although I am new, I share your passion for skiing. I try to ski as much as possible. I live in NY, so weekend skiing is mostly on Catskills. Longer skiing done mostly in Vermont. Looking forward to contributing to the great NE forum you guys have here.

bvibert

Staff member
Welcome lerops. I can think of a few folks here that only have a few years of skiing under their belt, so don't be afraid to post. You've got the passion for skiing, which is all the matters.

MRGisevil

Hi all!

Have been following for a while, decided to join. I am newer to skiing than most of you, if not all. I started skiing a couple of years ago. The moment I put skiis under my feet, I knew this was for me. So, although I am new, I share your passion for skiing. I try to ski as much as possible. I live in NY, so weekend skiing is mostly on Catskills. Longer skiing done mostly in Vermont. Looking forward to contributing to the great NE forum you guys have here.

Welcome to the forum! There's more diversity here than you think, it's just that newer skiers tend to post a lot less than those who've been at it for a while.

extreme_me

howdy! I'm looking for this.
Anyway, of course I'm new in here, that's why I need to introduce myself.
New to the forum and to the sport. An amateur but I want to be hustler with this.
Really gives me the adrenaline.
See you around guys, need some tutorials and a ski buddy.

bvibert

Staff member
howdy! I'm looking for this.
Anyway, of course I'm new in here, that's why I need to introduce myself.
New to the forum and to the sport. An amateur but I want to be hustler with this.
Really gives me the adrenaline.
See you around guys, need some tutorials and a ski buddy.

Welcome extreme_me. Where are you from, where do you ski?

Paul

And who do you plan on hustling?

031007a.jpg

Minnesota Fats, probably...

urban07sti

Guess I'll introduce myself here even though I posted a few times last week. I've lingered on this forum for a while (probably close to 2 years), finally took the plunge to join.

I graduated college in May 07, during my time in college completely fell in love with skiing and snowboarding. I skied a litte bit when I was young and then got into snowboarding in middle school, was never really that good. Most of high school was too busy with sports to spend enough time to get into the sport, but would ride occasionally. Sophmore year in college, bought a bunch of snowboard gear and fell in love. Bought the ASC College Pass Junior and Senior year, also worked selling passes for them. Was a great time, would ski 30-40 days a year, a lot of time at Mt. Snow & killington midweek, with some trips to Sunday River. Decided halfway through last season to also start skiing, and picked up some public enemies, love doing both skiing and riding.

In the 'real world' now, still getting up on weekends when I can, no season pass, decided to hit some places I've never been. REALLY enjoyed Stowe and Sugarbush (last weekend was a lot of fun). I have a few friends that are getting more into skiing/boarding. Hoping to rent a house next year in the MRV or Stowe area. Maybe see some of you ont he slopes. I'm headed up to Stowe for a long weekend in a few weeks (22nd) then hitting the 'bush on that Monday afterwards.

Last edited:

aoneil

As usual, I went about this backwards...

Hi! I just joined and realized I should introduce myself (after already having been compelled to join and post to threads elsewhere).

I seem to have gone about everything the wrong way.

When I was stationed in Denver many moons ago I just went skiing one weekend at Breckenridge. I'd done cross country skiing a couple of times in gym class when there was too much snow to do anything else, and I'd roller skated and ice skated since I was a little kid. Oh yeah, I was born and raised in Central Mass, and I come from a line of Finns (with all that running and cross-country skiing in my background).

I remember my first run - the lift ride was scary and I was worrying I'd fall before I got on the chair. I fell right after I got off the little slope from where the chair unloaded and had a hell of a time getting back up. My friend showed me snowplow and then I was off - scared to death I was going to fall. I remember not falling and thinking how much it felt like skating with extra sticking out the ends.

I went maybe eight times over my years in Colorado and New Mexico and then didn't go for many years (I lived in Oklahoma at the government's behest for far too long). When I moved back "home" I thought about going but didn't. This year, I got it in my head I'd start skiing again. I almost tried snowboarding, but my aging body rebelled against the thought of falling down a lot (I never even had to fall down a lot when I learned to ski, I've been spoiled). I bought a season pass during the fall for Wachusett and resolved to go as many times as I needed to have the pass "pay for itself." I rented skis the first time, then ordered a pair of snow boards (little skis, some people call them snow blades, but that's like calling inline skates "rollerblades").

I suppose my point is when I got my Head Shape skis, I was barely able to handle the blue runs at Wa (I wasn't great, but I didn't fall down). I'm not a huge sports person, but I seem to have some skills that transferred (growing up in the time of roller skating in the 80's and all those hours at the rink). But the short, fat skis are everything they say - I went down a black diamond run on my second afternoon with my boards, and now I'm there as often as I can get away. My season pass (a bronze pass) is well past paying for itself at this point, and I'm considering what kind of trips I can get up to up north and maybe back to Colorado next year.

I've finally gotten the hang of turning around backward at will (rather than as a last resort *chuckle*) and I'm starting to question my sanity since the half-pipe's looking like fun.

I'm not one of those people who barrels down a run and then has a yard sale (although I dodged a few last night). I also don't nail unsuspecting people on my way downhill (also happened once last night, I wanted to take that snowboard and nail him with it). I try to be polite to other people and not be a danger to myself or others. I'd also like to do that whole going down the mountain with a reasonable amount of style and grace. :)

(just for the record, since it's not obvious - I'm female, my name's Anne. Nice to meet you. :)