• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your Official 2007-08 Ski Season Breakdown Thread

How many days did you ski (or will you ski) this season?

• Total voters

Lostone

I'm not done yet. :daffy:

Today was day 133.
2188818 vertical feet.
1631 runs

I don't count. :-?

My watch does. ;)

I transcribe the info from my watch into a spreadsheet. It does the remembering and any calculations I wonder about. :dunce:

Yes... I know I have to get out more. :roll:

deadheadskier

Staff member

yowzers

That's incredible. I honestly don't think I could ski that many days if I had the time to. I've topped 100 on three seasons out of my 25 skiing and even that was tough to do physically. 133 is insane

Today was day 133.
2188818 vertical feet.
1631 runs

I don't count. :-?

My watch does. ;)

I transcribe the info from my watch into a spreadsheet. It does the remembering and any calculations I wonder about. :dunce:

Yes... I know I have to get out more. :roll:

Nice..I'm currently at 95 days..1500+ runs and 1.7 million vert..with a few days remaining..Last year was a record season for me in terms of days..119..but I was obscessed and skied 61 days in a row at Blue mountain..and 2.4 million vert...my best season vert wise was my Senior year of high school when I skied 2.6+ million vert in only 66 days but I put in alot of 9 hour sessions at Blue mountain and bell to bell days on ski trips..yes I'm not that old so there were high speed quads back then..

I feel like when I get into a routine where I go night skiing everyday after work..and on weekend mornings at the local hill..it's hard to miss a day..I feel guilty but lots of rain here in PA and no desire to ski in the rain cut into my days..

Lostone

I never skied in high school. I was one of 9 so... we went sledding. :sad:

The first year I moved up here, I got in 128 days, which was my previous record. That year I got 2.7M feet. Now I get less as I ski with friends more, and stop to take lunch with friends. That cuts into possible runs, but make it more enjoyable, overall.

133 is insane

I can't argue with that. ;)

Oh... and there are others, here at Sugarbush, with more days than I have. When people ask if I ski every day, I say no, but I ski every nice day.

We've had a lot of nice days.

Today is going to be another. :)

2knees

Today was day 133.
2188818 vertical feet.
1631 runs

How do you handle, physically, skiing that many days? I'm totally breaking down at 21 with tons of days between trips. I'm doing something wrong.

How do you handle, physically, skiing that many days? I'm totally breaking down at 21 with tons of days between trips. I'm doing something wrong.

Skiing groomers between bump runs helps..I think skiing consecutive days helps a ton although 10 days in a row at Jackson Hole led to complete exhaustion and a sprained thumb,,

ERJ-145CA

I didn't ski nearly as many days as that, 38 so far, but my method for not breaking down is to be kind of out of shape and not work out at all, that way all my physical activity is skiing and my body doesn't get tired from anything else.

I also feel like myself and others who ski 100 or so days per season tend to put in shorter sessions on average than 20-30 day per season skiers. One guy who I ski with at Blue mountain only skis once every week or two. He gets there at 7:30AM when I do and usually by 11:00AM the runs are crowded and it's all ice and sugar piles so I leave around then but he'll bang out another 2-3 hours of skiing because he's not going to be skiing the next day..which leads to more fatigue..If I'm beat..I quit for the day..

I'm up to 95 days so far this season and last season I skied 119 days..2005-06 I skied 110 days so that's 324 days in the past three ski seasons....I must really like skiing..

snoseek

Steeze has a point that not all days are 8-4, although I make a point to ski at least 5-6 hours each day. To ski all bumps all the time would also make me fall apart somewhere in February, diversity is key unless its a powder day. I really think you start to really stretch and develop muscles at some point. I'm really not in super great shape but those muscles that are used in skiing are very solid. Last year I was a bit heavier and paid the price in the end with a clicky swollen knee that didn't go away until the fall. Good nutrition is also key, I don't know how steeze (no offense dude but outback doesn't cut it for nutrition) eats the way he does and finds the energy to get out there so much.

I'm probably at 115 days now with another 15 or so to go. My knee is starting to swell just a bit.

Steeze has a point that not all days are 8-4, although I make a point to ski at least 5-6 hours each day. To ski all bumps all the time would also make me fall apart somewhere in February, diversity is key unless its a powder day. I really think you start to really stretch and develop muscles at some point. I'm really not in super great shape but those muscles that are used in skiing are very solid. Last year I was a bit heavier and paid the price in the end with a clicky swollen knee that didn't go away until the fall. Good nutrition is also key, I don't know how steeze (no offense dude but outback doesn't cut it for nutrition) eats the way he does and finds the energy to get out there so much.

I'm probably at 115 days now with another 15 or so to go. My knee is starting to swell just a bit.

I don't only eat Outback..and aside from their fries and Blooming Onion..the steak, veggies, and salads are healthy..I also feel like the longer I ski the more I try to preserve myself. Unless it's a powder day I like to ease into the day with some groomers and ease out of the day with some groomers as well and do the toughest runs late morning/early afternoon. I like to alternate between a mogul run and a groomer during the middle of the day..it's rare that I ski moguls/trees more than 2-3 runs in a row..as those types of runs require way more energy where gravity does most of the work on high speed groomers.

When I put in a steezy vert day 30k plus vert..I often wake up a little stiff/sore but after a few ski runs..I feel fine..I'm lucky that I've never had knee issues..my lower back has been sore a few times. I definitely have a higher threshold for pain when I ski than when I'm running. I'm re-starting my running program and after 1.25 miles yesterday I was dying and had to stop for a few minutes. If I'm skiing an intense run at Jackson Hole and my legs start to burn 2/3 of the way through I often push through the pain and keep going and I get a better adrenaline rush with my legs burning..

Powder days I burn out quick..often by Noon/1:00PM because I dive right into the steepest untracked terrain I can find and go crazy..when the powder panic sets in..I'm frantic and want to track up as much terrain as possible..that has led to some spectacular wipeouts for sure..especially when the visibility is low and a cat-tracks pops out from nowhere..man I freaking love skiing..

Greg

Staff member
I also feel like the longer I ski the more I try to preserve myself. Unless it's a powder day I like to ease into the day with some groomers and ease out of the day with some groomers as well and do the toughest runs late morning/early afternoon. I like to alternate between a mogul run and a groomer during the middle of the day..it's rare that I ski moguls/trees more than 2-3 runs in a row..as those types of runs require way more energy where gravity does most of the work on high speed groomers.

Bah! Skip the warm-up run and hammer the ungroomed terrain for as long as possible!

Signed,

Energizer Bunny

ERJ-145CA

I finished up my season today at the same place I started it - Mt. Snow. Day 39. It was a great day of spring skiing under bluebird skies. I wish it wasn't over but I have to get to work around the house and start doing all the things I was putting off during the season. I'm happy with the skiing I got in and look forward to next season.

Lostone

Everything on my body hurts. :cry:

Still, we are coming down to the end, so I'm heading out in an hour, or so. :roll:

I don't ski a lot of bumps. I have nothing to prove, and I'm really out there to enjoy myself. Those that have seen me while I'm skiing will usually admit, I do that. ;)

Still this side of the season, bumps are everywhere, and they must be dealt with. To tell the truth, the bumps are sometimes easier than the heavy slush. This is hard skiing... but it is fun skiing. But I'd rather have powder. :spin:

danny p

this season was great! highlights off the top of my head were the December 4th storm with near waist deep powder, the rest of december, new year's storm, two awesome days at Pico with my girlfriend and her friends in February, a kick-ass spring break/birthday vacation slopeside at Pico with my girlfriend (especially waking up Saturday morning to 6" of fresh snow), the good march storm,surprise april foot of powder at Pico and the beautiful beautiful beautiful friday that ended my season at K with 75 degrees and sunny skies. I skied the most days ever in a season for me at 27 days. My technique improved from forcing myself to ski harder trails and ski trails I don't usually ski, I really forced myself to stop playing in the Snowdon woods @ K and go explore other areas, which really payed off. Towards the end of the season I worked really hard on learning how to control my speed and keep a line in the bumps (probably this site's influence). Timberline park all season long helped me with my limited terrain park skills. Found a bunch of new tree runs @K and made an effort to ski the trees faster, harder and take tighter lines (thank you new helmet). This year also marked the first season that my girlfriend was able to ski with me on greens and blues at Pico, which was one of the most enjoyable parts of the season. Awesome season, can't wait until the next one!!

shwilly

24 Sugarloaf
2 Sunday River
2 Crystal
1 Saddleback

and that's it for me for lift serviced this year. I ended up 1 day short of my goal of 30, but no worries. The only annoying thing is that Ms. Shwilly got 30 and I got one day less.

This was a great year in terms of both quantity and quality. The Loaf had good snow early, a great midseason peak, and nice spring skiing lately. Maine got more pow and fewer warm-ups than several recent years. We found new terrain, continued to improve, and had a blast.

deadheadskier

Staff member
My Breakdown

Days Out (B+): 20 Days for the year, my most since 2000-2001. Realistically, I probably could’ve hit 30 for an A+. I missed 1 potential day to mountain closure, 3 to laziness, 3 to injury and 3 to work obligations. 2 more than last year and 5 more than my average over the past five years though, which I am quite happy with.

Variety (A): This is what I strived most for this season and I did very well. Spread my days over 7 mountains, by far the most since high school . Those 7 included 4 first time experiences (Black, Wildcat, Saddleback and Mt. Abram) and 1 area I had not been to in over twenty years (Sunapee).

Equipment (A+): I hadn’t purchased new skis since the 2002-2003 season and this year I picked up TWO new pairs with new bindings. I really dig both sets and the fact that I was able to acquire them for $370 total brand new plus mounting was a great value. I also joined the brain bucket ranks this season.

Conditions (B): Despite one of the best snowfall winters, my timing was kind of off. I did have 5 great powder days, but I also had 5 horrible surface days. Rallied late spring for 2 killer corn days to finish the season, but the rest of my skiing I’d call average. So, only 7 out of 20 days out had great snow conditions.

Skiing Performance (B+): Fitness was not where I wanted it and it’s my own damn fault. I started the season 15-20lbs over my optimum weight. At times I turned back the clock and felt like my early 20’s self, but too often I got fatigued, which affected performance.

Value (A): I averaged roughly $25 a day in terms of lift tickets. Without having a pass, I think this is almost as good as one can do in this day and ages pricing. I scoured for deals and it paid off. Unfortunately, this approach had me miss some good Saturday snow.

Overall (A-): This was my best season since 2001-2002. I could’ve done better by being in better shape and skiing more, but overall I feel very satisfied with my season.

Goals for 2008-2009: 21 days minimum, equal price tag, 7 mountains minimum, 6 days in Vermont minimum, 15 pounds lighter. New skis unlikely, 4 new areas unlikely, but if I hit these goals, it will be an A- for me, which is realistically about as good as I can hope for in a season at this stage in my life.

I'm done...98 days total..here's the breakdown..

Blue mountain...68 days
Snow King WY...1 day
Killington...2 days
Camelback PA..2 days
Belleayre NY...2 days
Sugarbush...2 days
Big Boulder..2 days
Sno mountain PA...1 day
Okemo...1 day
Stowe...6 days
Mount Snow..2 days
Jackson Hole WY..9 days
Grand Targhee...1 day

In total I spent 25 nights in hotel/motel rooms...20 of those nights alone and 5 of those nights with a friend...It was a very good season for me..