• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Rate your 2010-11 ski season

john1200c

Very good until injury in Feb. It was shaping up to be the best one since I got back into this a couple of years ago....

Should be healed enough to give it a go next year.

snowmonster

Though I'm hoping for 1 or 2 more ski days, this is probably a good time to finally reflect on the 2010-11 ski season. I'd give my season a 9.0 (If I manage to ski past June 13 - the lastest I've skied - I'll bump it up by .5).

Highlights of this season include:

- The earliest ski day: October 23 at Sunday River
- Ski on my birthday
- Present at the Mittersill chair dedication and skiing the Mittersill sidecountry: January 17 at Cannon (I got a coin to prove it.)
- First time in Slidebrook at Sugarbush
- First time in Brackett Basin at Sugarloaf
- First time to ski the Balsams and Smuggler's Notch
- Lots of days in the backcountry with first time ski tours on the Thunderbolt Trail, Mt. Cardigan, Mt. Moosilauke, the Tuckerbrook Trail, the Cog Railway, Doublehead Mountain, Black Mountain and Monroe Brook.
- Backcountry skiing in the Gulf of Slides and Tuckerman Ravine.

Unfortunately, lowlights of the season include:

- Not skiing out west (being fiscally-reponsible has its price)
- Not attending the AZ Summit (life happens)
- Getting my pack stolen (To whoever filched it, just know that, depending on what you believe, either the karmic wheel comes 'round or you get back what you give out.)

The best part of any ski season is sharing the experience with kindred spirits who have the same magnificent obsession for this sport. Whether it was skiing on a keyboard or actually making turns on the trails, thanks for accompanying me on this journey. Thank you for the inspiration and the stoke!

Special thanks go to the AZers that I shared the trail with: rivercoil, madpadraic, monkeybrook, Terry, thaller, whaller, the fearless maineskier69, the indomitable wjenness, the incomparable snoseek and, my brother-in-arms, thetrailboss. You honor me by allowing me to slide alongside you. Until next season: May your turns be many and powder-filled!

jimmywilson69

I got 30 days in which is average for me. The improvement is that 7 of those Days were in Vermont and 3 of them were in Colorado.

I'd rate it an 8.5 out of 10. It was a great year but there is room for improvement in my technical skiing ability, Day's in the poconos that i'd ike to hit up and more days skiing out of PA!

I'm already jonesing hard for ski season, but it's atleast 6 long ass months away:cry:

snoseek

Though I'm hoping for 1 or 2 more ski days, this is probably a good time to finally reflect on the 2010-11 ski season. I'd give my season a 9.0 (If I manage to ski past June 13 - the lastest I've skied - I'll bump it up by .5).

Highlights of this season include:

- The earliest ski day: October 23 at Sunday River
- Ski on my birthday
- Present at the Mittersill chair dedication and skiing the Mittersill sidecountry: January 17 at Cannon (I got a coin to prove it.)
- First time in Slidebrook at Sugarbush
- First time in Brackett Basin at Sugarloaf
- First time to ski the Balsams and Smuggler's Notch
- Lots of days in the backcountry with first time ski tours on the Thunderbolt Trail, Mt. Cardigan, Mt. Moosilauke, the Tuckerbrook Trail, the Cog Railway, Doublehead Mountain, Black Mountain and Monroe Brook.
- Backcountry skiing in the Gulf of Slides and Tuckerman Ravine.

Unfortunately, lowlights of the season include:

- Not skiing out west (being fiscally-reponsible has its price)
- Not attending the AZ Summit (life happens)
- Getting my pack stolen (To whoever filched it, just know that, depending on what you believe, either the karmic wheel comes 'round or you get back what you give out.)

The best part of any ski season is sharing the experience with kindred spirits who have the same magnificent obsession for this sport. Whether it was skiing on a keyboard or actually making turns on the trails, thanks for accompanying me on this journey. Thank you for the inspiration and the stoke!

Special thanks go to the AZers that I shared the trail with: rivercoil, madpadraic, monkeybrook, Terry, thaller, whaller, the fearless maineskier69, the indomitable wjenness, the incomparable snoseek and, my brother-in-arms, thetrailboss. You honor me by allowing me to slide alongside you. Until next season: May your turns be many and powder-filled!

Hot damn, it's cool, you can call it now!!!!
I'll be at the River if they do Oct. turns, I think I'm shooting to gtfo of here a little earlier than mid-nov, we'll see. More importantly you got a little trip to make next year....

Hawkshot99

Overall I would give it a 9.

As for days on snow, I no longer count(Makes me get burnt out quicker) but I would say somewhere around mid 70's.

Skied the most amazing powder of my life on multiple occasions. Had 2 days where it was knee deep of true fluff. One of the days was a hour of lift served before the lifts opened:-o "sweeping" the trails with patrol, and the other was when only season pass holders were allowed as only 1 lift was turning because of wind.

Had a very good year with my race teams. Won first place in our division at 1 mountain(Team 4th overall, and me 10th overall) and 2nd overall at the other mtn.

Had no injuries.

I am not a huge fan of spring conditions, so the fact that it stayed midwinter almost to the end was a plus for me.

The fact that it stayed good all year long. No mid winter week of warm and rain.

The ski shop I run had a very good season thanks to great customers and great staff. I am getting more opportunities to help the shop I work for when it comes to how the stores are run. Doing demo days with the owner to plan for next year.

Unfortunately I did not get out west like I did last year, but overall I had a great year.

snowmonster

Hot damn, it's cool, you can call it now!!!!
I'll be at the River if they do Oct. turns, I think I'm shooting to gtfo of here a little earlier than mid-nov, we'll see. More importantly you got a little trip to make next year....

We can probably pack in two or three trips at the River before mid-November. Maybe even Loon if they get aggressive.

By the way, get a nice couch. I'm calling dibs on it!

Geoff

I'd rate mine as awful. Work chewed me alive. When I wasn't doing business travel, I had conference calls all day that made it impossible for me to sneak out. I had an awful lot of weekends I had to work and could only grab a few hours on the hill. The spring skiing season mostly didn't happen. Most of March & April was cold and I didn't have many sunglasses & corn snow days.

skidmarks

My Ski Season 2010/2011 Review Part 1

I was lucky to have a very solid season with some fun CT backcountry thrown in too.

gmcunni

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well, I think that the official tally was 45 days. Started on November 7th at Sunday River, ended on July 4th at Snowbird, Utah. In between there were days at Alta, Loveland, Bretton Woods, lots of Sugarbush, Bolton Valley, Lyndon Outing Club, Smuggs (first time), Burke, and some earned turns day. Lots of snow, lots of good times. There was also an amazing groomer ride at Sugarbush in March when I rode shotgun on a grooming shift.

Skimaine

I will give 2010/11 a solid 7. I really had a great year - lots of days, made some new friends and had some break throughs. Skied spring bumps competently (e.g., Ripsaw at SL) and skied the backside for the first time. Had a great time at Saddleback and Camden Snowbowl. I would have liked to have skied more New England resorts, returned to Quebec and skied out west. Maybe next year.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Not that great. My ski seasons were the best, by far, when I was in college several years ago. It's harder to come up with the same time nowadays. End whine.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Definitely the best season I've had in ten years. Most days out since retiring from ski bum life. I was satisfied with my physical conditioning, which plays the biggest part in how well I ski these days. I probably skied the most different areas I ever have in one season. Only real short comings were a couple of rained out days in the spring, was too lazy to get up on Washington yet again and I really had hoped to try and check out a couple of Quebec areas. Hopefully next season I can get to those 'to dos'.

Sunday River 11/7, 11/21
Killington 11/28, 12/19
Ragged 12/5, 12/11, 12/26, 1/2, 1/15, 1/22, 2/12, 2/26, 4/2
Gunstock 12/27, 2/20
Pat's Peak 1/7
Pico 1/8, 2/7
Okemo 1/9
Mount Whittier 1/16
Stratton 1/29
Burke 2/5
Stowe 2/6
Black 3/25
Sugarloaf 3/26, 3/27
Wildcat 4/10
Sugarbush 4/16
Jay Peak 5/7

Geoff

Way too much work intruded on my skiing. I had more days in metro-Philly in some Comcast hell-hole building than I did living at the ski area. When I was around, I had conference calls scattered through the day that made it really tough to sneak out for a few runs.

snoseek

I can't really put a number on it.

It was nice to spend a year back east, see family, ski with some awesome folks (many on this board along with the sr board), hit a consistent season for Maine. Took a trip out west for 10 days and chased a great storm for 1600 miles! Got to Open up at Sunday River/Closing day @ the loaf. Probably hit 55-60 days and made $$$$ at the same time.

At the same time October can't come fast enough. Fun time back east is over. I've had 4! days off since Memorail day and none in sight. Looking to take one full week here before driving back out and enjoy all the goodness that New England has to offer in Mid-October.

I'm ready to hit the road. Next season is about redemption, I'm not positive exactly where I'm going but you can sure as fuck bet it's somewhere that will make for a good time!

Edd

Snoseek, I'm starting to envy your lifestyle. If I make a trip out west this year or next I'll look you up. I regret hurting myself so I couldn't ski with you this year.

snoseek

Snoseek, I'm starting to envy your lifestyle. If I make a trip out west this year or next I'll look you up. I regret hurting myself so I couldn't ski with you this year.

Working up through the hospitality industry is truly a bitch but really pays off if being mobile is important. There is always a decent job waiting almost everywhere and generally the cooler the place, the cooler the job.

Not much to envy this time of year:spin:

When my 85 hour weeks drop to 50 hour weeks after Labor Day we should get some beers over there in Newmarket.

Oh and trips west are always a good idea. 8)

bigbog

Compared to what I should've had from the accumulations = not good...21days, hardly any of those days included a full day stayover, particularly when other AZ members were up @SL. Grabbed a couple more part-time system support jobs last year and ended up bound to the neighborhood...10min from my PC and phone:rolleyes: Really looking forward towards a better season, both time and snowtime-wise.