• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

VTKilarney

Some good and bad news from Facebook land.

The good news is that Burke is taking a more conciliatory tone in their posts. They just posted this:
THANK YOU to all the skiers and riders that bundled up and enjoyed our mountain today! We appreciate everyone's patience as we continue our snow making efforts to recover from the wet weather and warmer temps we experienced until this past Sunday. Dashney Mile has had it's fill and we will be moving our equipment over to Binney Lane and then on to Lower Willoughby. We'll be in touch tomorrow with a fresh update - good night!

The bad news is that the most recently announced snowmaking plans were that the guns would be lit on Lower Willoughby after they were on Dashney Mile. Apparently they have decided to focus on Binney Lane before moving on to Lower Willoughby.

So what does this mean?
(a) For a while longer there will be absolutely no snow whatsoever refreshed on a trail that gets you down the main mountain; and
(b) They are focusing on a FOURTH way down the lower mountain while there is still only ONE way down the main mountain. While I fully appreciate that Binney Lane needs snow (see the picture in my trip report), I'm perplexed as to why they view it as a priority with so many other trails that are in desperate need for snow.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Some good and bad news from Facebook land.

The good news is that Burke is taking a more conciliatory tone in their posts. They just posted this:
THANK YOU to all the skiers and riders that bundled up and enjoyed our mountain today! We appreciate everyone's patience as we continue our snow making efforts to recover from the wet weather and warmer temps we experienced until this past Sunday. Dashney Mile has had it's fill and we will be moving our equipment over to Binney Lane and then on to Lower Willoughby. We'll be in touch tomorrow with a fresh update - good night!

The bad news is that the previously announced snowmaking plans were that the guns would be lit on Lower Willoughby after they were on Dashney Mile. Apparently they have decided to focus on Binney Lane before moving on to Lower Willoughby.

So what does this mean?
(a) For a while longer there will be absolutely no snow whatsoever refreshed on a trail that gets you down the main mountain; and
(b) They are focusing on a FOURTH way down the lower mountain while there is still only ONE way down the main mountain. While I fully appreciate that Binney Lane needs snow (see the picture in my trip report), I'm perplexed as to why they view it as a priority with so many other trails that are in desperate need for snow.

Before 2012 they could blow in BOTH areas. :(

halfpintvt

If you build it, will they come? Not unless you have SNOW! Q-Burke, it's time to rent some compressors and start blowing some cold air!

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Got Snow? Not so much! If you build it, will they come?
10888481_969618409733898_2802788193816411965_n.jpg

The building hides one's view of the ski trails and lack of Q-Snow (R). Mission accomplished.

And the Q-victory banners are missing from the staircases.

Cannonball

Some more Facebook antics.

This morning, Q Burke posted the following:
What a BEAUTIFUL morning and it's only expected to get better. Snow making continues on Dashney Mile with temps just right to build that base. Photo taken this morning heading down Upper Willoughby....the corduroy is waiting. Let's get to it!

So far there is one response to the post:
Your opportunity to build the base over the natural snow before the Xmas thaw was completely wasted. You have the third lowest trail count in VT right ahead of Queechee Ski Area and Suicide Six.

But do Quechee and Suicide Six have a $55 million hotel???????

I'm guessing these are your FB comments. Right?

VTKilarney

Imagine waking up in your $250 per night hotel room on New Year's Eve week only to see this. Unless they improve their snowmaking quickly, the most expensive rooms will be the ones that look away from the mountain.

This photo looks eerily like a NELSAP photo.

10885356_966561553372917_2332584711740661089_n.jpg

Last edited:

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
First, your picture of St. Johnsbury is incredible. Second, that camera lens costs more than the GDP of Burkina Faso.

If it is the Canon one, they are not that badly priced. I have a 55-200 mm IS lens and it is nice but not that expensive.

The full lens name is EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

The "L" in the name makes it $$$$. The f/2.8 adds another $ and the "IS" another $.

I've started selling pictures so I hope the lens can start paying for itself. If anyone sees a picture on my Flickr account that they want professionally printed and framed let me know and I'll shoot you a AlpineZone special price. 8)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/77159597@N07/

WoodCore

As the immortal Highway Star would say.......... ((Team Beaverkill)+(AQ)^3)/EB-5 = FAIL^Q

thetrailboss

Staff member
Ah, I was wondering if it was one of the white Canon lenses. That is sweet. Mine is just the consumer edition.

And I may take you up on your offer....your pictures are amazing.

VTKilarney

More Facebook fun. There were several pass holders that expressed their displeasure and concern over the lack of snow making. Somebody, who obviously reads this forum, posted about the lack of compressor capacity. The tone for all of the comments was respectful. The bottom line is that the pass holders asked for some sort of statement from management about the problem and how they intended to address it.

This morning management made their statement. They deleted all of the comments.