• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

Puck it

mittersillmap-1968-0000a.jpg

SIKSKIER

Looks like this thread is alive again.

I understand that the intent was to return the terrain to the same width as it was before.

As to racing, isn't some of the widths and dimensions completely dependent upon FIS homologation standards?
Actually tb they cant anything any wider than what was there when Mittersill closed.That was part of the agreement with the fed for the land swap.Its also why there is only a new double because even the lift line could not be cut wider.

Puck it

Actually tb they cant anything any wider than what was there when Mittersill closed.That was part of the agreement with the fed for the land swap.Its also why there is only a new double because even the lift line could not be cut wider.
Above a certain elevation. Bicknell Thrush, you know!

xwhaler

Does anyone know when Cannon will provide info for the 2015-2016 season? I bought our season passes back in May but am anxious to sign my boys up for seasonal programs. I know it's early, but it seems that most other ski areas have their info available already...

By the way, if anyone has any experience (good or bad) with Cannon's seasonal programs, I'd love to hear about it.

We were at King Pine last year (which I cannot say enough good things about), but we're very excited to kick it up a notch this year. As I tell my non-skier wife, if it's good enough for Bode, it's good enough for my kids! :)

I'm also trying to get my son into the program for this coming season but likely won;t be able to as he will be 6 weeks shy of the age cut off when the program starts....I've emailed the general cannon address today and got a reply that I need to contact the snowsports director. He doesn't come back to work until October however---I did email him in the hope maybe he reads emails off season.

xwhaler

This was the email I got this AM

Hi Chris, that would be a question for the Snowsports Director, Irv Fountain. Irv doesn't return for the season until October so unfortunately I can't give you an answer for certain at this time. His email is irving.fountain@dred.nh.gov and his phone is 603-823-7722 x712 if you want to leave a message or keep the phone number to follow up with him in October. Sorry I can't give you a better answer at the moment!

Puck it

I'm also trying to get my son into the program for this coming season but likely won;t be able to as he will be 6 weeks shy of the age cut off when the program starts....I've emailed the general cannon address today and got a reply that I need to contact the snowsports director. He doesn't come back to work until October however---I did email him in the hope maybe he reads emails off season.
I know for sure that they won't take him if he is short of the age cut off. Some one tried the same thing last.

xwhaler

I know for sure that they won't take him if he is short of the age cut off. Some one tried the same thing last.
I asked the girls at the ski school desk and they too gave me this news---but I figured it doesn't hurt to hear it from the man in charge.
Most likely I will bounce around this season enrolling him in various 1/2 day programs after he turns 3---Cannon being one of them.

SIKSKIER

This was the email I got this AM

Hi Chris, that would be a question for the Snowsports Director, Irv Fountain. Irv doesn't return for the season until October so unfortunately I can't give you an answer for certain at this time. His email is irving.fountain@dred.nh.gov and his phone is 603-823-7722 x712 if you want to leave a message or keep the phone number to follow up with him in October. Sorry I can't give you a better answer at the moment!
I'm friends with him on FB.Here is his account.https://www.facebook.com/irv.fountain?fref=ts

SIKSKIER

The link I posted also shows a timeline on fuure improvements.Here is some of it.

DeVivo said this is the project completion schedule:

· For the 2014/15 winter season –

o Trail work on Baron’s Run, Skyline, and Ridge Run;
o New air compressor that added 21 percent more snowmaking capacity;
o Planning and design on new dam at Echo Lake to add water capacity and better support the ecosystem

· For the 2015/16 winter season –

o Completion of new dam at Echo Lake to add water capacity and better support the ecosystem;
o Trail work on Taft Training Slope and new connecting trail (name TBD) back to Baron’s Run;
o The entire “trail footprint” of the project is now complete; we may thin out some lower mountain gladed areas later on.
o Snowmaking on Baron’s Run and the (“Way Back” Trail) with state-of-the-art tower guns;
o Snowmaking on Skyline, Ridge Run, and connecting trail (planned for fall 2015) with state-of-the-art tower and land guns;
o Engineering for new T-Bar installation on Taft Training Slope

· For the 2016/17 winter season –

o Snowmaking on Taft Training Slope with state-of-the-art tower and land guns;
o Snowmaking on Skyline, Ridge Run, and connecting trail (if not completed during fall 2015) with state-of-the-art tower and land guns;
o New T-Bar installation on Taft Training Slope (planned for weekend / holiday operation and use by all guests)."

The application was filed jointly with Cannon, the asset owner, which will own it all upon completion of the project.
""That $150K will be rolled into the overall $4M project, and most specifically used toward snowmaking equipment (pipe & hydrants) this year," DeVivo said.
He detailed some of the hard goods and the providers.
The compressor is a Cameron TurboAir 6040 capable of pushing 6,040 cubic feet per minute. The low energy / high efficiency tower guns are manufactured by SnowLogic;
The trail work and snowmaking installation contractor is Glen Builders of North Conway and the T-Bar is manufactured by LST Ropeways of France and will be installed by SkyTrac of Salt Lake City, Utah.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Going to be interesting to see how long natural snow lasts on the training hill this winter. I'd imagine there will be little to no training there unless there's a big natural storm and they can get it packed down. Otherwise, I see that thing being picked clean by the wind.