• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Today I felt old because...

gmcunni

riding lift today with son, 22 years old and graduating college this spring (that makes me feel old too). He leaves tomorrow for spring break in Cabo San Lucas

me - so any plans other than drinking and hanging by the pool?
son - we'll find stuff to do, plus drinking and hanging by the pool.
me - i think there is a famous tequila from that area, called Cabo Wabo or something like that
son - yeah, i think i've heard of it
me - Sammy Hagar owns Cabo Wabo tequila
Son - who is Sammy Hagar?

Glenn

"Who is Sammy Hagar"....that's brutal. Did you ask if he's familiar with Van Halen? Probably a bit of rhetoric I suppose.

Zand

Still 2 months away from turning 25, but looked in the mirror and realized about 5-10% of my hair is already turning grey.

At least I know who Sammy Hagar is :D Always thought he was a better singer than David Lee Roth but DLR is just more "Van Halen" to me than Hagar is.

Edd

A famous 57 year old musician dies and he's too young to have played "my kind of music".:oops:

Tavis Smiley did a pair of interesting interviews with Prince about 5 or 10 years ago: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/tavissmiley/interviews/singer-songwriter-prince/

I've read or watched someone comparing Prince to Hendrix a couple of times since yesterday and I'm not feeling it. He reminds me more of David Bowie, or perhaps a composite of the two. I've been humming Prince tunes to myself for a full day now.

Cannonball

I've read or watched someone comparing Prince to Hendrix a couple of times since yesterday and I'm not feeling it. He reminds me more of David Bowie, or perhaps a composite of the two. I've been humming Prince tunes to myself for a full day now.

He could play guitar like Hendrix and he was an innovator of music, art, and fashion like Bowie. But it is really hard to actually compare him to anyone because he was so unique.

There were a lot of cool things about Prince. One of the coolest things was that while he seemed to be in his own stratosphere he was also keenly tuned into what was going on. And he acknowledged things in a subtle and cool way. For example, Foo Fighters made a big deal of covering his 'Darling Nikki'. Prince had no comment, but then blew the doors off of Foo Fighter's 'Best of You' during his Super Bowl performance. Even better example: Dave Chappelle and Charlie Murphy had a hilarious bit about meeting Prince. It included Chappelle dressed up as Prince. Prince had no comment....then he used Chappelle as the cover of one of his records!! Beat Chappelle at his own game. Genius.

Breakfast Can Wait Prince Cover - P - 2013.jpg.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
What I'm really impressed with is hearing about all the charitable work he did and just how generous he was. He made a point to never call attention to it.

The other thing I'm curious to see is the breadth of material of his that comes out posthumously. It might end up being nothing at all depending on the wishes of his estate, but apparently he had a vault with 100s of unreleased songs dating all the way back to the Purple Rain era.

jimk

If you listen to those Tavis Smiley interviews (about ten mins each) he was very thoughtful and had become quite religious. He was a Jehovah's Witness and I learned that those folks don't vote, but are sort of neutral political observers. He said racy music was boring now that everyone was racy and he changed some lyrics in some of his performances including eliminating curse words. He was also epileptic as a child and felt faith helped him get over it. Due to his small size he was bullied as a kid and his efforts to become a musician helped him rise above that as he gained skill and esteem.

tree_skier

riding lift today with son, 22 years old and graduating college this spring (that makes me feel old too). He leaves tomorrow for spring break in Cabo San Lucas

me - so any plans other than drinking and hanging by the pool?
son - we'll find stuff to do, plus drinking and hanging by the pool.
me - i think there is a famous tequila from that area, called Cabo Wabo or something like that
son - yeah, i think i've heard of it
me - Sammy Hagar owns Cabo Wabo tequila
Son - who is Sammy Hagar?

Who is the Motor City Madman?????
I blame that on dad my 21 yo son knows who he is