• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Jersey Meadowlands ski dome to open summer of 2017?

benski

Oh but you can. That's the beauty of America! Everyone remember the hot coffee McDonald's case? I don't see how that's much different than this in terms of the level of stupidity. I also think that it might be different than a ski resort because it'll attract potentially a much different demographic.

Good point about groomers though.

Ski accidents are part of the inherent risk of the activity. Third degree burns are not an inherent risk of drinking coffee. When I spill coffee, I expect it to hurt a little but not do damage.

BenedictGomez

Hah...I live 5 minutes from there and still wouldn't do that...

Yeah, as a novelty I'd like to check it out once just to see what it's like, but I cant imagine it holding your interest.

Seriously? You guys actually pay that? Ouch. I am surprised the voters allow such a thing.

The non-payers outnumber the payers. And it's getting worse as payers flee the state (I'll be one of them in a few years).

deadheadskier

Staff member

machski

I had occasion to hit Ski Dubai once. It was a lot of fun for the few hours I was there. Little rail park set up on left wall, small jumps below the "midstation" of the quad and a slalom course setup on the skiers right line. Without that slalom course, would have been a bit boring. But lapping the course was a lot of fun. Since I spend many a night at Teterboro each year, I could see a few of those in the off season spent at the dome. Just hope their rental gear is better than Dubai's. My binding slid before the first run and I had to reset it. Saw a early teen boy trying to figure his ski out, wound up he had the same problem. Fixed his too.

cdskier

Yeah, as a novelty I'd like to check it out once just to see what it's like, but I cant imagine it holding your interest.

Right, would be cool once to go in July or August just to say I skied in the summer. Beyond that...doubt it would be interesting enough for me to go back and spend more money there.

drjeff

Once again, we need to take a step back as we're debating the merits of this and will it or won't it work, and remember that we AZ'er's 99% of the time AREN'T their target market and make up the vast minority of the skiing population.

After school programs, learn to ski programs, adult "beer league" racing, likely in today's day and age a decent rail/jump line, and you've got LOT'S of potential customers with a likely decent retention amount before you even broach the "novelty" crowds.

If you've ever been to a hike to rail jam event at a ski area in their off season, they get a decent turnout with minimal promotion and a crowd that very often will keep hiking too and hitting the same half dozen features or so for hours on end - We AZ'ers while incredibly dedicated to this sport, just plain and simply aren't the target main audience for this

drjeff

I disagree. Kids have so much going on in the summer already. It'll be a hard sell.

Weekly summer programs? Maybe not, however as a day trip from summer camps? That I can easily see.

A "rainy day" event when the beaches aren't an option? Yup

With such a massive population base within the immediate geographical area, the potential to have this become a different part of already established youth programs that have the ability to readily bring a few bus loads of kids is there for sure

abc

Seriously? You guys actually pay that? Ouch. I am surprised the voters allow such a thing.
The non-payers outnumber the payers.
I confess I'm a "non-payer", of bridge tolls. :D

Although I have a place in the city, my car is in Westchester. The last time the car was in the city was March, and before that 2015!

The voters, which I'm one, had traditionally approved to use the bridge toll to subsidize the public transport system. AAA, which believes they represent the DRIVING public, had always objected to that. But the last time the subway workers went on strike, we got a glimpse of what the traffic was like had there been no public transport. Same when Metro North shutdown due to track fire.

So make no mistake, the bridge tolls are high to specifically discourage driving into the city. Long Islanders are caught in the middle. They had to cut through the city to go anywhere! :( That's why, even though I quite like LI (lived there for 2 years), I opted to stage myself in Westchester in the end.

Even when I was living full time in the city and kept my car in the city, I almost never go to Jersey. It's mostly north to Westchester (skiing, cycling, kayaking) or east to Long Island (beaches). So I really was never a "payer" of bridge tolls. (I do remember a time very long ago when bridge tolls were low enough I drove to Jersey shopping for lower price goods! But now the bridge toll makes those shopping trips entirely unsustainable. Not to mention these days nobody "go shopping" any more, everything is available online)

deadheadskier

Staff member
Why aren't the tolls outrageous coming and going from CT? I don't recall it being expensive when I traveled from Norwich to the East side of Manhattan. I forget the route, but I was fairly shocked with how light the traffic was compared to what I deal with in Boston 2-3 days a week.

I go over the Tobin bridge when I travel to Boston. It's currently $2.50 to get in and $0 to leave. They are about to switch it to $1.25 each way. It will make the commute in a bit worse because 93 is free and I'm sure some use it to save a couple bucks a day. Maybe the commute out will lighten slightly.

If I never had to travel in Massachusetts M-F again, sign me up. Rush hour is like 6:30-10 and 2-7 these days. Love Boston, but only on Saturday and Sunday.

Domeskier

I and many others have spent many a contented hour lapping this (just in case the Xanadu folks stumble upon this thread and need ideas):

2015-05-29_21_21_00.jpg

2015-04-25_21_04_15.jpg

2015-05-06_21_20_21.jpg

yeggous

Why aren't the tolls outrageous coming and going from CT? I don't recall it being expensive when I traveled from Norwich to the East side of Manhattan. I forget the route, but I was fairly shocked with how light the traffic was compared to what I deal with in Boston 2-3 days a week.

I go over the Tobin bridge when I travel to Boston. It's currently $2.50 to get in and $0 to leave. They are about to switch it to $1.25 each way. It will make the commute in a bit worse because 93 is free and I'm sure some use it to save a couple bucks a day. Maybe the commute out will lighten slightly.

If I never had to travel in Massachusetts M-F again, sign me up. Rush hour is like 6:30-10 and 2-7 these days. Love Boston, but only on Saturday and Sunday.

Perhaps because Connecticut has no tolls. In contrast, you pay a toll to back out of your driveway in Nee Jersey. The tolls across a state border are a two sided problem.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
I was more thinking in NY, whatever the access was I used that dumped me on the highway along the east side. Can't remember what the roads were

deadheadskier

Staff member
That would irk me if I lived on Long Island. Locals have to pay, but all the CT commuters get a free ride.

cdskier

Is that right? Wow, I'm sure that will be the most shocking fact I learn this week.

Fascinating...

After a 1983 truck crash that killed 7 people at the Stratford toll plaza, toll opponents pressured the State of Connecticut to remove tolls from the Turnpike in 1985. Three years later, these same opponents successfully lobbied the Connecticut General Assembly to pass legislation abolishing tolls on all of Connecticut's highways (with the exception of two car ferries across the Connecticut River in Chester and Glastonbury). While the 1983 Stratford accident was cited as the main reason for abolishing tolls in Connecticut, the underlying reason was the fact that federal legislation at that time forbade states with toll roads from using federal funds for road projects. Because the Mianus River Bridge was rebuilt with federal highway funds following its June 1983 collapse, Connecticut was required by Section 113(c) of the Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956 to remove tolls from the Turnpike once its construction bonds were paid off