• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Jersey Meadowlands ski dome to open summer of 2017?

drjeff

Perhaps because Connecticut has no tolls. In contrast, you pay a toll to back out of your driveway in Nee Jersey. The tolls across a state border are a two sided problem.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Is that right? Wow, I'm sure that will be the most shocking fact I learn this week.

CT is toll free for now..... Considering that we keep having a deeper and deeper budget deficits and they've managed to tax GE out of CT (and likely Aetna soon as well), the cries to put some tolls up to capture some additional revenue to add to the general fund (we all know that even though they say it will go to the highway budget that most will end up in the general fund :mad: :rolleyes: ) get louder and louder as time goes on.....

steamboat1

That would irk me if I lived on Long Island. Locals have to pay, but all the CT commuters get a free ride.
There are free ways to get into Manhattan from LI. I'm in Brooklyn which if you didn't know is part of LI. I don't need to take any bridges to get to LI. Same thing getting to NJ, there are toll free ways. Problem is there's no way to get back from NJ without paying a toll that I'm aware of. Unless maybe I drive to CT from NJ.

Last edited:

cdskier

Problem is there's no way to get back from NJ without paying a toll that I'm aware of. Unless maybe I drive to CT from NJ.

I don't think that would help...to get to CT from NJ means going through NY and crossing the Hudson at some point which means a toll (unless you go way up north to cross the Hudson, but by that point you've spent much more in gas than the cost of the toll and wasted a tremendous amount of time)

jaytrem

I don't think that would help...to get to CT from NJ means going through NY and crossing the Hudson at some point which means a toll (unless you go way up north to cross the Hudson, but by that point you've spent much more in gas than the cost of the toll and wasted a tremendous amount of time)

Looks like the first free bridge would be the Dunn Memorial Bridge in Albany.

BenedictGomez

CT is toll free for now..... Considering that we keep having a deeper and deeper budget deficits and they've managed to tax GE out of CT (and likely Aetna soon as well), the cries to put some tolls up to capture some additional revenue to add to the general fund (we all know that even though they say it will go to the highway budget that most will end up in the general fund :mad: :rolleyes: ) get louder and louder as time goes on.....

It's amazing such a tiny state can have a > $1B deficit. And roughly half the states in America have deficits.

Someday this piper will be paid.

nycskier

Looks like the first free bridge would be the Dunn Memorial Bridge in Albany.

If you don't want to pay the $15 toll the Tappan Zee is $5 & Bear Mountain bridge is $1.50 so it's probably not worth driving all the way to Albany. The bus from Port Authority to East Rutherford, NJ is $4.50 each way. Train from Penn Station when running is $5.50 one way

jack97

It's amazing such a tiny state can have a > $1B deficit. And roughly half the states in America have deficits.

Holy sh1t. I got to paid attention driving through the state. I figure speed traps will spike up once the state legislation decides they can't print their own money.

jack97

If you don't want to pay the $15 toll the Tappan Zee is $5 & Bear Mountain bridge is $1.50 so it's probably not worth driving all the way to Albany. The bus from Port Authority to East Rutherford, NJ is $4.50 each way. Train from Penn Station when running is $5.50 one way

Kind of surprise TZ is still $5, that's the gateway to east NJ/ PA. On a tangent, I've been on I80 all the way to Chicago,in some states a two axles easily will go $15.

drjeff

And that's AFTER tax increases of roughly 2.5 BILLION over the last 2 years!!

When you've got a state gov't who have been on a spending spree for about a decade seemingly thinking that the majority of tax payers in CT are making the kind of incomes that a small number of hedge fund folks who live in the greater Greenwich/Stanford area are, when in reality 99% of state residents aren't, combined with general exodus of businesses due to a poor business climate within CT, that's how you get a BILLION dollar deficit in a small state :mad:

x10003q

EZ Pass can help with the Port Authority tolls. The toll for the PA bridges and tunnels with EZ Pass is $10.50 off peak and $12.50 peak. It is always $15 for cash. There are also car pool plans that can lower it to $6.50.
PEAK HOURS
Weekdays: 6-10 a.m., 4-8 p.m.
Sat. & Sun.: 11 a.m.-9 p.m.

The PA bridges and tunnels are for the crossings between NY and NJ. Tolls are only collected when entering NY.

Once you add a few people into your car, it is usually cheaper to drive vs mass transit, as long as you plan on street parking.

4aprice

This thread is funny as hell. The only way to get out of NJ free is to the north. Every other direction you pay. No one pays to come here. (except via the Cape May - Lewes Ferry) Seems Ct and NJ are equally bad just in different ways. I mean after all you would think some of our NJ cities would offer full life time pensions to beach life guards (a 2 1/2 month job) and go bankrupt, oh wait, they did. I know maybe we can sell Marijuana just in that city and it will magically be revived. I mean the intelligence coming out of Trenton is mind blowing. Ct want to go toe to toe with "Jerzee" chasing away business? I bet we are way in the lead. We'll just raise the gas tax and kill what ever other incentives exist to keep decent people here. Of course the environmental people (Sierra Club) and Public Worker Unions have been urging our pols to jack up them taxes. If the politicians don't get you there are now these dime sized jelly fish whose sting can cause kidney failure down at the shore. That will teach those bennies a lesson. God, I hope we don't get overrun at the lake. I'm counting the days till I can leave.

As far as the skiing "dome" is concerned, I bet it won't be cheap. Of course being NJ I wouldn't hold my breath until it actually does open.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Rowsdower

This thread is funny as hell. The only way to get out of NJ free is to the north. Every other direction you pay. No one pays to come here. (except via the Cape May - Lewes Ferry) Seems Ct and NJ are equally bad just in different ways. I mean after all you would think some of our NJ cities would offer full life time pensions to beach life guards (a 2 1/2 month job) and go bankrupt, oh wait, they did. I know maybe we can sell Marijuana just in that city and it will magically be revived. I mean the intelligence coming out of Trenton is mind blowing. Ct want to go toe to toe with "Jerzee" chasing away business? I bet we are way in the lead. We'll just raise the gas tax and kill what ever other incentives exist to keep decent people here. Of course the environmental people (Sierra Club) and Public Worker Unions have been urging our pols to jack up them taxes. If the politicians don't get you there are now these dime sized jelly fish whose sting can cause kidney failure down at the shore. That will teach those bennies a lesson. God, I hope we don't get overrun at the lake. I'm counting the days till I can leave.

As far as the skiing "dome" is concerned, I bet it won't be cheap. Of course being NJ I wouldn't hold my breath until it actually does open.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

NJ pols can do as they please. The NYC metro workforce is a captive, well paid audience that they'll always be able to leech off of.

My PhD only kept me in the state five years but I moved back to PA after three. The commute is preferable to only being able to afford living in a shoebox. The traffic does suck though, but only one more year of it.

x10003q

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

There are around 10 NJ to PA bridges that do not have tolls including I-95.

steamboat1

that's how you get a BILLION dollar deficit in a small state :mad:
How do you get $500 billion to $1 trillion + deficits in a country with only 50 states?

That's $10b-$20b + per state per year.

Shits going to hit the fan someday.

Hope after my lifetime.

But maybe, just maybe, they'll have an indoor skiing dome in NJ.

Last edited:

cdskier

Oh you mean I'll only have to pay $11.08 to go over the Verrizzano instead of $16.
How the F did they come up with $11.08?

I have EZ-Pass but would still have to pay the $16 rate apparently for that bridge as the discount only applies to EZ-Pass tags provided by a NY EZ-Pass customer service center.

As for the number, apparently they decided the NY EZ Pass discount for the Verrazano should be 30.75%. Maybe they just pulled that percentage out of a hat.

steamboat1

I have EZ-Pass but would still have to pay the $16 rate apparently for that bridge as the discount only applies to EZ-Pass tags provided by a NY EZ-Pass customer service center.

As for the number, apparently they decided the NY EZ Pass discount for the Verrazano should be 30.75%. Maybe they just pulled that percentage out of a hat.
So how did they come up with $5.50 for SI residents Simon? 65.625% discount, these people are out of their birds.

You could always take the SI ferry for free. It was always free until they decided to charge a nickle for the ride. Didn't take long for them to figure out it cost more to collect the nickle than it cost to let everyone ride free, they then raised it to a quarter, same outcome, funny chit.

I know quite a few people who work(ed) on that ferry. Good salary & benefits, plenty of overtime with good retirement pensions & benefits after 20 years. a lot of them were able to double dip pensions after working other gov't jobs until they cut that chit out for newer employees. Gotta love guberment jobs.

And you wonder why the gov't is broke.

Last edited:

loafer89

The high cost of commuting in and out of Long Island is one reason I left in 2006 and never looked back. I'm quite happy living 5 miles south of the MA line. It's 35 minutes to Ski Sundown, 1 hour to Berkshire East and 1hr 25m to Mount Snow. All of Southern Vermont skiing an easy day trip.

Last edited: