• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saddleback

yeggous

Drove up a few weeks ago and there were maintenance and catering trucks at the lodge, so that's something, but there are no current rumors in Rangeley that I have heard, and the speculation is pretty gloomy, to say the least.

I'm not sure what the "recent FB post" referred to in the link is about. There hasn't been any activity on their page since February that I can see...

I think they're still hosting weddings which would explain the limited activity that you saw.

bdfreetuna

This ski area would probably be the #1 best defunct ski area in North America. Too sad to be true. Only been there for 2 days and it left a lasting impression. Would rather ski Saddleback over almost anywhere else.

tipsdown

This ski area would probably be the #1 best defunct ski area in North America. Too sad to be true. Only been there for 2 days and it left a lasting impression. Would rather ski Saddleback over almost anywhere else.

That's not an overstatement...I would agree. When operating, it was consistently the best skiing product in Maine. The combination of snow quality and varied terrain along with the views was superior to Sunday River, and yes Sugarloaf. And then, the potential...the current skiing footprint barely scratched the surface. What might have been....

fiddleski

That's not an overstatement...I would agree. When operating, it was consistently the best skiing product in Maine. The combination of snow quality and varied terrain along with the views was superior to Sunday River, and yes Sugarloaf. And then, the potential...the current skiing footprint barely scratched the surface. What might have been....

This. So sad and frustrating to see it slip away.

xwhaler

There are no other mtns (in my lifetime) that have gone NELSAP with as much potential (both actual and future dreaming) as Saddleback.
There is so much that is already built up there...with the exception of the Rangeley basically new primary lift, new/gorgeous lodge, awesome terrain, and quite a lot of on mtn condos.

It's not like you are starting from scratch or have old infrastructure and no bed base.....the majority of it is all there.

At this point I'm almost hoping Les runs into so much red tape at the Balsams that he turns his focus westward. Anything to save the place. It's far too special and unique to just fade away.

xwhaler

Has wind issues sure but the the trails are classically cut new england style terrain that follow the natural fall line and hold snow very well---not wide open boulevards that go straight down (i.e. ice loaf)

Puck it

Has wind issues sure but the the trails are classically cut new england style terrain that follow the natural fall line and hold snow very well---not wide open boulevards that go straight down (i.e. ice loaf)
or Cannonball!!!!

machski

Hold snow because the trails are cut right or because of the low skier volume they received? I would speculate IF Saddleback had drawn the skier count they would have needed to be sustainable as a business, that snow hold might not be as good as it was. It's distance is still it's biggest hindrance, with name recognition a strong second. I bet many outside of core North East skiers wouldn't even recognize the name.

xwhaler

Hold snow because the trails are cut right or because of the low skier volume they received? I would speculate IF Saddleback had drawn the skier count they would have needed to be sustainable as a business, that snow hold might not be as good as it was. It's distance is still it's biggest hindrance, with name recognition a strong second. I bet many outside of core North East skiers wouldn't even recognize the name.

Both. The way they are cut, lower skier volume, prevailing wind etc

It's an incredibly well designed mtn to take advantage of the terrain for all ability levels. I do agree it is a drive but again no further than SL coming from the South

xwhaler

Also snow qty: Highest annual totals in NH/ME and on par with MRV and north in VT

Quality: Dry and the lack of thaw/freeze events really helps them out. Then of course they benefit from those cold rain storms that crush VT and NH but then radar flips back to blue when it gets into the high Alpine of Western Maine. Some really awesome/localized snows can crush the mtn when the rest of New England is getting cold rain.

bdfreetuna

The amount of snow they still had at the close of the 2015 season could have been measured with multiple yard sticks. In the woods.

steamboat1

Lower Rangeley chair yes, sheltered trails. Upper Kennebago chair not so much.

fiddleski

There are no other mtns (in my lifetime) that have gone NELSAP with as much potential (both actual and future dreaming) as Saddleback.
There is so much that is already built up there...with the exception of the Rangeley basically new primary lift, new/gorgeous lodge, awesome terrain, and quite a lot of on mtn condos.

It's not like you are starting from scratch or have old infrastructure and no bed base.....the majority of it is all there.

[B]At this point I'm almost hoping Les runs into so much red tape at the Balsams that he turns his focus westward. Anything to save the place. It's far too special and unique to just fade away.

I have had the same thought. As far as I can see, Saddleback has far more potential than The Balsams ever could have.

deadheadskier

Staff member
[/B]

I have had the same thought. As far as I can see, Saddleback has far more potential than The Balsams ever could have.

+1

Way, way better mountain. Great lake for summer enjoyment. An actual town at the base.

Balsams has history, golf and proximity to Montreal going for it.

Jully

Both. The way they are cut, lower skier volume, prevailing wind etc

It's an incredibly well designed mtn to take advantage of the terrain for all ability levels. I do agree it is a drive but again no further than SL coming from the South

SB's about thirty minutes more from the south I think. Relatively insignificant, but definitely influenced me going there over SL sometimes.

Definitely a well designed mountain though. The trails on the lookers left of the double remind me a bunch of Wildcat.

jimk

Saddleback is a long way from where I live, but I'd read raves about it on the internet for a decade and I went out of my way to ski it for two days in March 2012 when I finally had a reason to go skiing in Maine for a week. The views of the Maine lake country, the remote, pristine feel of the mtns in that part of Maine, good snow, extensive glades, and old fashioned trail layout including the very cool and twisty Muleskinner run left me with an impression that Saddleback was one of the neatest ski areas in the Eastern US.
More on that 2012 ski trip to Maine: http://www.epicski.com/a/skiing-maine-on-a-budget

bigbog

The past owners just haven't cut as much into the natural forest, as much as other areas...
Unfortunately, governments(Federal and local) have let energy(ie = expenditures) become a profit-making tool which promotes the dog-eat-dog world of economics we have today...
Would like to see Federal Gov't set aside the area, with the AT, Saddleback and the Bigelows in the focus, as some sort of northern hike/ski area and have it run like a National Park.
ME State Gov't, the "harlot"(PC) that it is, will kick & scream at the loss of tax revenues...which it wastes..thus trying to get something working at the federal level, is the possible way to go. Am writing to state Congressional people to at least think about it...fwiw. Fat chance:smile: but what the heck...

Last edited: