• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

WinS

What a ghost town this weekend. Glad we decided to go. Saturday was 2 runs then inside to warm up. Wind was not as bad as forecasted, just a bit gusty sometimes. Sunday was much more bearable but still needed some warm up breaks. Conditions were great, esp. Castlerock. Feel bad, that must have been a big hit on the income. As quiet as last weekend was, I'm sure this coming MLK one will be a zoo. Hoping the thaw ends with backside snow...

The best answer was “it sucked”. But there is a lot of winter left and Roger Hill told me last Fall that he thought this would be a back ended winter and not to get depressed in December and January. With the base we have and some warmer temps the second third of the season
be great.

WinS

I don't know.

Sugarbush should really close the Valley house lift its going to be that cold. A little skating is a good thing in that weather.

Ha! Then you answer the critics :lol:

gonesquatchin

Haven't been in here in a while. Is the MRV forum shot? I've been getting some kind of database error when I go there. If it's shot, is this the place to come for info from Win and Win Jr.?

cdskier

Ah, makes more sense.

So is this the thread he's posting in now, or is there a more relevant thread/forum? And is the MRV forum gone for good?

Yes, this is where he's posting now. As for the MRV forum...could be. Nick couldn't figure out what was wrong with it from what I remember.

Hawk

Yes the last email exchange I had with Nick about this, he said the Data Base error was above his understanding and he needed to talk to someone about it. I am thinking that he is real busy in his new endeavors so this has dropped way down the priority list if not just gone out the window all together.

cdskier

I love the optimism in today's snow report about maybe a surprise powder day on Saturday. The question is how realistic is that though? Sugarbush seems to be way too close to the line between areas that changeover to snow quicker vs areas that see more ice.

Hawk

The models have been in flux all week. Back and forth they go. The report on NECN this morning was more favorable with snow likely starting Saturday morning into the evening. BVT NOAA is now on board with a 3-5 inch snow fall. We will see more clarity by tomorrow.

cdskier

Even if we get snow...I'm a bit worried about the Friday weather coupled with a rapid re-freeze Friday night and what that means for trail conditions on Saturday. Sunday I think has a possibility to be good, especially if there's snow fall throughout the day on Saturday.

cdskier

My decision then comes down to...is it worth driving 5 hours Friday evening to realistically ski only a few hours Sunday before going home? I'm not off on Monday, so this isn't a holiday for me. If I was off Monday, then I'd at least have all day Sunday and Monday morning to ski and this would be a much easier decision.

slatham

My decision then comes down to...is it worth driving 5 hours Friday evening to realistically ski only a few hours Sunday before going home? I'm not off on Monday, so this isn't a holiday for me. If I was off Monday, then I'd at least have all day Sunday and Monday morning to ski and this would be a much easier decision.

You need to follow the weather a bit more closely, and also re-read Hawks comment for what it really is......

cdskier

You need to follow the weather a bit more closely, and also re-read Hawks comment for what it really is......

I was debating whether it was sarcastic or not...but based on what I see on the weather I have a hard time believing Saturday will be good even if there's backend snow.

tumbler

The wet snow is not going to freeze in a matter of minutes and anything that falls will bond to it and prevent it from becoming a solid ice cube. Sleet actually works very well for this and if it turns to snow then even better. It's the weather, the models and weather people don't know how it is going to actually happen. I'm going either way and if it sucks then it sucks, and I drink, have fun and enjoy some North Country time.