• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

SIKSKIER

The wet snow is not going to freeze in a matter of minutes and anything that falls will bond to it and prevent it from becoming a solid ice cube. Sleet actually works very well for this and if it turns to snow then even better. It's the weather, the models and weather people don't know how it is going to actually happen. I'm going either way and if it sucks then it sucks, and I drink, have fun and enjoy some North Country time.

This.If the backend has a decent amount of snow,even 3-6 inches,the surface underneath wont freeze solid.That snow will actually minmize the transition to cold and can actually end up having pretty good skiing if there is anything left before that occurs.I'm kidding except when refering to natural snow trails.For us Pats fan we have a backup plan anyway for Saturday night anyway.I probably wont feel too good Sunday morning either way.

WinS

This.If the backend has a decent amount of snow,even 3-6 inches,the surface underneath wont freeze solid.That snow will actually minmize the transition to cold and can actually end up having pretty good skiing if there is anything left before that occurs.I'm kidding except when refering to natural snow trails.For us Pats fan we have a backup plan anyway for Saturday night anyway.I probably wont feel too good Sunday morning either way.

I think we might be pleasantly surprised. Looks to begin changing over before midnight with maybe 2-4" by 7am and then a couple of more before it ends. We will send 5 groomer out at midnight at LP and 3 at ME with a heavy grooming plan. If the snow comes in a planned it will mix in well as the trails are groomed. Right now we have not planned to close any trail, but the natural trails will be assessed by patrol in the morning and we could see some closings. The depth on the snowmaking trails are holding up very well but there are exposed spots on the naturals. One we see what everything looks like in the Am will put an plan together on where best to fire up the snowguns.

Go Pats! The game will be on in the bars.

WinS

Turned out worse than expected. The rain and freezing rain stayed a lot longer expected and disappointing snow total. The other surprise was the wind. Much higher than the forecast. Thus, we got off to a really slow start with windholds and icing. By 11am we had Village, the carpets, Gatehouse, North Lynx and Valley running and the lift mechanics were chipping ice of Bravo now that the wind died down. Hoping to have that running before noon. Heaven's Gate still on windhold but hopefully that will let go but the time Bravo opens. North is in worse shape with Sunny Q and Inverness open and deicing occurring on the others. Tomorrow while colder look sunny much lighter winds. We will have a heavy grooming plan and will likely winch Steins' and turn on the tower guns so that could be a pick of the days.

WinS

The life of an eastern skier in two sentences.

And we Eastern Skiers are always optimists.

Heavy grooming plan tonight includes winching Stein's and Ripcord and grooming both Birch and Sunrise and just about all groomable trails on both sides. Will turn towers on Stein's first thing in the am and likely run some on Snowball and Spring Fling. With the cold temps and light winds and sun, I think we should have a great day. Next week's possible snow may get the naturals back open.

The Mountain team did a great job this morning. If you see a black jacket give him/her a high five. It was rough out there this morning.

Hawk

No Snowmaking this morning. They must have had and issue. The good news is 0 wind. Headed out now to check it out now. Looks like Bravo is down this morning.

WinS

No Snowmaking this morning. They must have had and issue. The good news is 0 wind. Headed out now to check it out now. Looks like Bravo is down this morning.

Bravo opened at 9am. They were working on an electrical issue so opened Valley House early at 8am. Snowmaking is starting. The plan was to start sometime after 9am. After a deep freeze it can take some time to thaw everything out and get the water flowing.

ducky

Took a few runs at Mt Ellen this morning on my teles for a change of pace. A nice sunny day and the conditions were pretty good given what we had Friday if a bit cold. Back home now to snowshoe with the dog. People looked to be having fun ..and the mountain needs a break.

Hawk

Fair enough. Snow blowing on Steins and Bravo is running. They did a good job grooming Ripchord, North links and others also.

WinS

Going to change the snowmaking plan somewhat. We will be staying on Stein's but now not going to SB and SF. The hydrants will require a lot of kicking to free them up so rather than spend a lot of labor hours doing that now we will go to some other areas that can use refreshing. Winching Upper Grinder and CLiffs tonight and laying off Sunrise. Looks to be a bit warmer tomorrow.

SIKSKIER

The hydrants will require a lot of kicking to free them up
Sounds just like my truck.I still have some cement on my roof I cant get off and it looks like I tweaked one of my windshield wipers trying to free it.Over in Franconia we actually came away better than I anticipated.Suer lots of snow loss but we rebounded pretty darn good.Hope you guys get the Bush back in shape soon.Good luck.

jimmck

During (taken from Bravo)

During (taken 1/2 way down Stein's, skiers left looking up)

After

Beautiful snow, it was quite fun today.
30fcf29ca8fef469304b592c71099759.jpg
08b9aed257236c646fdc22a24aba3ef4.jpg
18b298965880e3f003fef84d318154a1.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk