• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

mikec142

Mike there still will be a couple of places with a small drop. Maybe 4 or 5 feet with all this snow. But nothing huge. Yes skiers left. it should be obvious.

Appreciate the info. Just out of curiosity...I assume that if I hike along the long trail and I don't drop into the middle area (church) I will eventually hit Castlerock, right?

KustyTheKlown

lol @ ladies tee. apt description.

MY SNOWBOARD FRIEND DECIDED TO TAKE HIS OWN CAR AND NOW I GET TO SKI MAD RIVER GLEN ON SUNDAY!

nhskier1969

Mike, Start with some woods off the trails first and get yourself up to speed before "dropping in" off the Long Trail. The snow is deep and not packed in so you may find obstacles and then difficulty getting up after a fall in deep snow. Also be aware of tree wells. It takes a few runs to get used to visualizing the gaps not the trees. To ski the woods fluidly you need to look ahead and not look at the trees. Skiing the Church from a post on this forum is not the best idea and is starts with a 12' jump to a flat followed by a tight gulley and then another 6' jump to traverse. Start slow and work your way up. Most woods between the inbound runs are skiable and every bit as good currently. (I have skied them every day this week and last - Day 102)
My 2¢.

Can attest to that. Skiing woods around the saddle, landed to forward off a drop, ski popped off. took me and my group 20 minutes to find it. really tough to get yourself up in the powder. Also when I fell, I fell into a group of pine trees. The friend had to help me get out of the well around the group pines trees. They pulled me up with their ski poles.
Don't go along out there.

Kleetus

lol @ ladies tee. apt description.

MY SNOWBOARD FRIEND DECIDED TO TAKE HIS OWN CAR AND NOW I GET TO SKI MAD RIVER GLEN ON SUNDAY!
It was epic today. I've skied it many times over the years, but never with conditions as good as this.

Sure it was all time earlier this week with all the fresh, but its still amazing now.

Sent from my SM-G892A using AlpineZone mobile app

HowieT2

I really can’t say I’ve ever seen conditions better than this. Just awesome out there.

mike-fwiw- I was on the head wall in paradise woods today, and my right leg went into a tree well with my ski on. Snow was up to my chest. It’s deep and probably best to ski with a partner.

had a binding break about half way down the top of ripcord this morning. Skied on one ski down to intersection with lower paradise. Took a patrol sled down to heavens gate and then skied on one ski down downspout to the base. That was interesting. In the market for new skis.

Kleetus

Very much looking forward to skiing Mt. Ellen tomorrow and maybe Lincoln Peak if slide brook runs and I feel like fighting the crowds on Casterock

Can confirm today was epic. 6th or 7th person down Black Diamond today after the summit was closed yesterday with loaded windblown definitely did not suck. Fresh snow in the trees everywhere, great soft bumps at both Ellen and Lincoln. Crowds were a non issue except for Castlerock.

Top day of the season for me no doubt. Maybe best conditions I have skied at Sugarbush ever? I've skied it a lot over the years and even had a few pow days, but never with such great snow everywhere.

tumbler

All time conditions and day. Was still able to find deep fresh off the beaten path. What a treat.

Orca

And we do not tolerate rudeness to anyone.

Well, I observed a Sugarbush employee in lowest lot at Lincoln peak screaming and being verbally abusive to the driver of a car he was directing to park on Saturday morning sometime around 10a. He was not only rude, but impatient, surly, and insulting. And LOUD! Everyone in the vicinity heard him, and several of us remarked that it reflected poorly on SB. Imagine receiving this as a "good morning!" as you excitedly arrive at the mountain. This is no third-hand story; I heard him with my own ears. And so did many others.

KustyTheKlown

It was epic today. I've skied it many times over the years, but never with conditions as good as this.

Sure it was all time earlier this week with all the fresh, but its still amazing now.

leftovers today, but it was still so good all across the mountain. super chalky and carveable bumps, and stashes in the woods. skied octopus garden for the first time. two dudes were continuing past paradise on the ridge hike and were kind enough to let me join them. SO TECHNICAL. i loved it. and i'm really glad i didnt do it alone, because it is gnarly as fuck and if shit goes wrong it could go quite wrong

stowe was some of the best conditions ive ever skied there yesterday, woods and trails and everything was choice.

Hawk

It's hard to fathom exactly how much this last storm cycle turned the icy mess into mid winter conditions until you actually go out into the vast reaches and see it first hand. I doubted exactly how good it was going up on Friday, but by Saturday I was a believer. We skied in many places, some of which were reserved for only the biggest of powder years and found gold. Even on Sunday, we found untracked in places. People were everywhere though. I saw the migration to obscure areas more that I have ever seen before. Fortunately, all of my recon through the years paid off and had a few good runs of purely untracked even on Sunday. You had to go real deep. ;-)

ThinkSnow

I really can’t say I’ve ever seen conditions better than this. Just awesome out there.

mike-fwiw- I was on the head wall in paradise woods today, and my right leg went into a tree well with my ski on. Snow was up to my chest. It’s deep and probably best to ski with a partner.

had a binding break about half way down the top of ripcord this morning. Skied on one ski down to intersection with lower paradise. Took a patrol sled down to heavens gate and then skied on one ski down downspout to the base. That was interesting. In the market for new skis.
Saw you from HG chair skiing on one ski down Ripcord on Friday. Why did you only get a courtesy ride down to HG base?

mikec142

Saturday may have been the best day of skiing I've ever had on the East Coast. Just epic.

Did a warm up run on Sleeper Chutes then another on Birch before heading over to Castlerock for the rest of the day. Amazingly soft bumps everywhere. Was flying solo so got in a ton of runs. Favorite may have been Lower Castlerock. Everyone kept continuing down towards Cotillion and LCR was just soft and powdery all afternoon.

I really wanted to get over to Heaven's Gate but CR was so good I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Additionally, heeded the group's advice and didn't pop into the woods past Paradise

I haven't skied Rumble since I was a kid and thus don't remember it that well. Talked to a bunch of guys on the lift and they said it was skiing about as well as it ever had so I figured I'd give it a try. My skis are 170cm long. Didn't remember the trail is about 180cm wide. LOL. Made it down and laughed the whole way, but didn't link too many turns. Castlerock and Middle Earth were much more my speed.

Thanks Sugarbush for an amazing day.

mikec142

Well, I observed a Sugarbush employee in lowest lot at Lincoln peak screaming and being verbally abusive to the driver of a car he was directing to park on Saturday morning sometime around 10a. He was not only rude, but impatient, surly, and insulting. And LOUD! Everyone in the vicinity heard him, and several of us remarked that it reflected poorly on SB. Imagine receiving this as a "good morning!" as you excitedly arrive at the mountain. This is no third-hand story; I heard him with my own ears. And so did many others.

I really hate to continue this, but I want to make a couple of points:

1. If Win or SB management witnessed this (or were told about it) do you think they wouldn't address it?

2. Not to justify rude behavior, but people have bad days all the time. Maybe his wife divorced him that AM. Maybe his car broke down. Maybe someone ran over his foot. Maybe the driver of the car repeatedly ignored his instructions. Who knows. It's not justified, but it happens.

3. Do you think for a second that this is reflective of all SB employees? Do you think for a second that this type of behavior couldn't happen elsewhere in any other business or at any other ski resort?

4. The complaints on this thread about one off issues just show me that some people will focus on the negative no matter what. Saturday was the best skiing I've ever had at Sugarbush and rather than mention one thing about that, you focus on a parking lot attendant.

5. For every negative issue, there are dozens of positive ones. I mentioned three great ones up-thread. It's life. Stuff is going to happen. Both good and bad. If you focus on the bad stuff, life will be a bummer.

I've already commented about the wonderful skiing. But I would be remiss if I didn't mention the nice conversation I had with Judy who I chatted with while waiting for the jitney. Both of my jitney drivers picked me up and dropped me off within yards of my car and said they were sorry for not being able to get me any closer (LOL). The liftie at Castlerock was from Holmdel, NJ (about 25 miles from me) and we had a pleasant conversation. My RFID card has been having some issues and before I drove up, I spoke with Pavel in the ticket office. He fixed the issue, stayed with me on the phone to make sure it worked, and emailed me later in the day to tell me another piece of info that I forgot to ask about. This doesn't even include the great conversations I had on the lift and in the liftlines. While I prefer to ski with friends and family, it doesn't always work like that so I love that I'm able to ski as a single every now and then and still enjoy the experience.

KustyTheKlown

I've seen parking attendants yell at customers all over the country. its a frustrating job and people repeatedly try to ignore you and park where they want. its one area where I somewhat expect staff to be a bit loud, direct, and gruff if they need to be

witnessed a bizarre parking incident at stowe Saturday. parking attendant asked guy in car next to me to pull up. but there were people walking in front of his car, and the car in front of him was a pickup truck with a big liftgate that could have conceivably fallen on this guys hood if opened carelessly. he had also already turned the car off and stepped out when the attendant asked if he'd move forward. he declined, and said "it's ok, I'm good", and the attendant thought very little of it and moved on without any argument. however, the guy parked in front of me was not having it. to the guy next to me he says "what makes you special? she kindly asked you to pull forward. other guy "I'm good, I didn't want to get too close to the liftgate, and there's plenty of room behind me." etc etc. this escalates to them calling each other "fucking assholes". they simmer down, and my friends and I are walking away towards the lodge, when one of them makes another snide comment, resulting in the guy parked next to me charging over to the guy parked in front of me, chest fully puffed out and ready to fight. we kept walking to the lodge, but it was bizarre.

both cars had Vermont plates. pretty aggro behaviour at 7:15 AM before an epic stowe day.

HowieT2

Saw you from HG chair skiing on one ski down Ripcord on Friday. Why did you only get a courtesy ride down to HG base?

it was easier for me to ski it, than for the patroller to pull me in the sled. the section down to the lift was too bumped up and powdery to make much progress on one ski. downspout was groomed so I could handle that.

cdskier

witnessed a bizarre parking incident at stowe Saturday. parking attendant asked guy in car next to me to pull up. but there were people walking in front of his car, and the car in front of him was a pickup truck with a big liftgate that could have conceivably fallen on this guys hood if opened carelessly. he had also already turned the car off and stepped out when the attendant asked if he'd move forward. he declined, and said "it's ok, I'm good", and the attendant thought very little of it and moved on without any argument. however, the guy parked in front of me was not having it. to the guy next to me he says "what makes you special? she kindly asked you to pull forward. other guy "I'm good, I didn't want to get too close to the liftgate, and there's plenty of room behind me." etc etc.

As a pickup owner, I absolutely hate how close the attendants try to park cars behind pickups. On more than one occasion I've basically had my tailgate laying on top of the hood of the car behind me as I try to load my skis at the end of the day. If possible I try to park in a row that doesn't have cars doubled up to avoid this, but that sometimes means not parking where the attendants want me to park. I sort of feel bad whenever I wave at the attendant to signal that I'm "ignoring" them and going to the other end of the row/lot though.