• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

bigbog

Where have some of you guys been this last summer....bordering on droughts..ME, NH...etc. Maine has been ~7" below average..hopefully less by Saturday AM. We all need the rain... Gotta have patience....know we all got spoiled by last winter but you have to remember it all came starting in late January. At least that was N.Central Maine's timetable.

MEtoVTSkier

Where have some of you guys been this last summer....bordering on droughts..ME, NH...etc. Maine has been ~7" below average..hopefully less by Saturday AM. We all need the rain... Gotta have patience....know we all got spoiled by last winter but you have to remember it all came starting in late January. At least that was N.Central Maine's timetable.

No drought up here in Aroostook... we've had more than our share of rain since mid-summer...

Smellytele

Early season was great last year up to Christmas then it sucked for 2 weeks then it was great again

Tin

Just noticed on the Cannon trail map the mention of Canada lynx at Mittersill. Any truth to it? Since seeing a bobcat at MRG last year I have a whole new respect for big kittys.

SIKSKIER

And the guns are on !!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

It was real foggy there yesterday and 37 degrees.I went to get my pass and all I saw was 1 gun going at the top of Lower Cannon(Rock Garden).I hug out for a few minutes and the fog opened up to reveal about 7 guns going on Upper Cannon.They were just getting things going.But I must say it was pretty depressing around there.

skiberg

Different Strategy this year with the weather. Blowing snow up top. No idea where they are blowing today. I would like to know as its definitely cold at base. Looks like first turns will be on upper cannon. Ought to be interesting with whales and weak legs.

yeggous

Different Strategy this year with the weather. Blowing snow up top. No idea where they are blowing today. I would like to know as its definitely cold at base. Looks like first turns will be on upper cannon. Ought to be interesting with whales and weak legs.

So what is the strategy? Up/down load via the tram to Cannonball quad?

Puck it

Blowin Middle Cannon to Lower Cannon probably as in years past. The last two they have gone for Gary's and lower Cannon with Eagle Cliff and Zoomer running.

SIKSKIER

Pretty sure they had guns running on upper c so they could make any snow somewhere.When they were starting them yeserday at around noon it was 37 at the base.

Last edited:

SIKSKIER

From a local friend:
Upper Cannon is raging (looks near already done) and they are working the lines below the top quad already along with as you can see. Will be surprised to see top-to-bottom by Friday, while the upper mtn should be stacked by then. Guessing they will up-n-down load the quad if not top-to-bottom. And this is all being said by my own suppositions by the way.
I asked if they were running to the bottom and he replied this:
I haven't gotten over to that side of the mtn today to say... yet looks like they may though based on how low that white line is running above. I don't think we've ever seen'em light that many at once either.

Attachments

• cannonsm11-23-15.jpg
    cannonsm11-23-15.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 127

dlague

From a local friend:
Upper Cannon is raging (looks near already done) and they are working the lines below the top quad already along with as you can see. Will be surprised to see top-to-bottom by Friday, while the upper mtn should be stacked by then. Guessing they will up-n-down load the quad if not top-to-bottom. And this is all being said by my own suppositions by the way.
I asked if they were running to the bottom and he replied this:
I haven't gotten over to that side of the mtn today to say... yet looks like they may though based on how low that white line is running above. I don't think we've ever seen'em light that many at once either.

Looks like it will be a Peabody and Cannonball chair combination. Only way to service the trails they are covering.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

skiberg

You can see little puff of white near the base. That is a complete top to bottom blow. Wow. Keep in mind they definitely have to be blowing at Brookside as well. Not sure how much % that diverts, but its cold right now. 16 @ BW right now, so at least that @ Cannon and it aint getting any warmer until tomorrow mid-day. Maybe noses above freezing for a few hours. I bet they turn off the top tonight, blow the hell out of mid-mountain down and then when temp rises mid-day tomorrow, go back up high where its below freezing.

dlague

The only problem with Upper Cannon, it does not handle traffic well. Lots of idiots stopping on the turns and it can get scraped off quickly except for deep in the corners.

deadheadskier

Staff member
True

Wonder why they didn't go for Tramway instead? I certainly prefer Upper Cannon, but Tramway can handle traffic better.

skiberg

I thought the same thing. Only reason I could come up with is maybe they have the new guns on Cannon and not on tramway. Keep in mind, its opening day for FSC as well. Tramway is a much better trail to handle the traffic.

However, I am convinced there will be whales. I don't see them pushing the snow out until Sun earliest. That will help a bunch. Keep traffic slow.