• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Unpopular Opinion: Any more than 4 people on a lift is too many.

SkiingInABlueDream

At Steamboat last week, I saw a move that was new to me. A group of 3 was ahead of my group of 4. A single joins them and, when they get to the line, he doesn’t load with them. He waited and took his own chair and it appeared fully deliberate. The volume of skiers called for fully loading the chairs, too. Doucheiest move I’ve seen in awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

I've seen that before. Thankfully very rarely but I agree it's extremely douchey. It would've been great if you had also been a group of 3 and then jumped onto the chair that he thought he'd get for himself![emoji34]

abc

Also while we are on the topic of lift-line management, can I take a brief moment to rant about when it's a quad lift and the lifties try to alternate 4 singles into the mix onto one chair (another thing I see all the time at Loon).

Like I'd understand that if there weren't groups of 4 waiting, but there are. The singles line is primarily for making those groups of 2 or 3 into 4, not to just to load 4 singles. When one picks the singles line, they need to understand that it may go slow or fast depending on how many groups of 2 or 3 there are. No need to load 4 singles at once.
The incentive for the single’s line is it moves AT LEAST as fast as the regular line. But hopefully FASTER!

Otherwise, no one will bother getting into the single line. You’re better off just stand randomly at the regular line. (and let the chair go up with 3’s, which is a minority anyway)

In quad chairs, there’s really not a lot of room for singles to fill, majority are doubles and then a few 3’s and some 4’s. Since 4’s doesn’t have room for any more, and doubles can pair into 4’s. The single will actually move SLOWER than the regular, UNLESS the liftie loads singles every so often.

Whenever I see a busy quad with no line management, I simply go into the regular line. Find a couple and makes a 3. I get up faster, and a chance for the single line to move just a little.

You can spot a bad line management pretty quickly by picking a “control” in the regular line. When that is apparent, you need to get out of the single’s, into the regular line!

Last edited:

tnt1234

Saw some bad lift line management at Bell yesterday. Was kind of funny to watch and just happened to work to our benefit. But the guy was ignoring the basic 'left side loads a chair/right side loads a chair' philosphy. And instead, he would load like 10-12 from the left, then 10-12 from the right. But it wasn't clear he was really counting. He was just kind of screaming, 'load! come on, keep going!' until he decided to switch sides. He was doing okay grouping people into 4s, but he would never alternate the left or right singles line. If he was loading left, left singles got paired, etc...Then occasionally, he would stop all landing form the main groups and shout and wave at the two singles line, loading a few dozen singles at once.

So, if your timing was good, somethings you would breeze right through the single line. Otherwise, you would be stuck while the other side got emptied out. very strange.

MEtoVTSkier

Amazing that resorts don't have more line management on busy holidays, it's not like the act of selling a single lift ticket doesn't more than cover the employees wage for 8 hours... :rolleyes:

Hillwalker95

Absolutely !! Last year I had a Chinese guy slide up next to me I was lookers far right side . Everyone was in position for a Quad and he decided to go ??? I was ready to give him a shove for his own safety as the bar would have hit in in the middle of the back/head but fortunately the Lifty was on the ball ..it was close .

What's the relevance of him being Chinese?

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
What's the relevance of him being Chinese?

I don’t sensor people’s speech . It’s called a description like Red car blue car. Really? you joined the forum to wine about something stupid?

Ok maybe the guy had a language barrier? Maybe riding the lift for the first time? Or maybe you just want to call me a racist?
My daughter in law who I love dearly is Asian so try something else.
:lol::lol:

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

I don’t sensor people’s speech . It’s called a description like Red car blue car. Really? you joined the forum to wine about something stupid?

Ok maybe the guy had a language barrier? Maybe riding the lift for the first time? Or maybe you just want to call me a racist?

There's absolutely no need to explain yourself.

Had you said, "French", "Irish", "Italian", "Canadian", "English", "Australian", or any other nation which people perceive as being majority white, it wouldn't have been an issue in the slightest, and absolutely no question of your motive would have sprung forth.

But unfortunately, you named a nation from whence the person likely wasn't white, which gives the morally self-righteous, victim-hood-seeking (and yes, likely liberal as Edd noted) populace a narrow & irresistible opening with which to attack your character, while simultaneously boosting their low self-esteem in an overtly public & showy manner.

Hillwalker95

Jeez, you spent your time writing that (and then had to edit it). Pretty obvious who the sensitive one is (and defensive to boot).

Hillwalker95

There's absolutely no need to explain yourself.

Had you said, "French", "Irish", "Italian", "Canadian", "English", "Australian", or any other nation which people perceive as being majority white, it wouldn't have been an issue in the slightest, and absolutely no question of your motive would have sprung forth.

But unfortunately, you named a nation from whence the person likely wasn't white, which gives the morally self-righteous, victim-hood-seeking (and yes, likely liberal as Edd noted) populace a narrow & irresistible opening with which to attack your character, while simultaneously boosting their low self-esteem in an overtly public & showy manner.

LOL, some rant.