• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter cycling projects

o3jeff

That's what I used last season. It seemed okay, but the alloy spider for the 3 biggest cogs got kinda mashed up and stuck on my freehub. I had some trouble getting it off this past weekend. Before I had taken the old one off I ordered a PG990, which has a larger spider with more of the cogs on it. Looking at the pictures now I'm not sure that the ridges to interface the freehub run all the way along the spider, so now I'm nervous the same thing will happen again. It should be delivered today, so I'll look at it then.

I think maybe I need to work on not being such a pedal masher, it's rough on equipment... :eek:

Did you get a 11/34?

bvibert

Staff member
Lol, it's an advantage. Lets me get a couple years out of the front granny gear since I don't drop into it much!

22/32 up front?

I've never worn out a granny up front. Probably sticking with 22/32 up front, but I was considering trying 24/34. Also still considering going 1x9. Haven't decided yet. Need to decide soon, and order some parts...

o3jeff

I've never worn out a granny up front. Probably sticking with 22/32 up front, but I was considering trying 24/34. Also still considering going 1x9. Haven't decided yet. Need to decide soon, and order some parts...

I'm probably going to stick with the 11/34 rear and 22 /32 up front. Seems to work pretty good for me and feel like I do a pretty fair job on the hills with it so why change it. I'm not sold on the 1 x 9 thing yet even though I really try not to drop it into granny, but it is nice to know that it is there! If anything I'd try a 24/32 up front if it would work.

bvibert

Staff member
I'm not totally sold on 1x9 either, its more an effort to reduce complexity and be able to run a stronger ring up front. I'll probably stick with what I'm running now though.

WoodCore

Like my 2x10 setup but down sizing the front rings from 39/26 to 38/24. Staying the same in back 12/36.

bvibert

Staff member
Have you gotten the bike together?

I haven't had much time to work on it. Got the derailleur and cable mounted last weekend, also replaced a bunch of spokes and started re-truing/tensioning the wheel. My new middle ring and brake pads should be here tomorrow. Hopefully I have some time over the weekend to finish putting everything together.

o3jeff

I haven't had much time to work on it. Got the derailleur and cable mounted last weekend, also replaced a bunch of spokes and started re-truing/tensioning the wheel. My new middle ring and brake pads should be here tomorrow. Hopefully I have some time over the weekend to finish putting everything together.

Over the weekend? You're not summiting up at the loaf?

MR. evil

Just got my 10mm thru axle conversion kit for the rear and a new RaceFace Turbine front chain ring in. Hoping to install tonight and ride in the morning. The RF chainring is really nice and I am very interested to see if I notice any increase is read stiffness with the thru axle. The DT Swiss RWS and Hope 10mm kit was a bit pricy. If I had to do again I would have bought the Hadley Thru axle which is much cheaper than the DT Swiss.

bvibert

Staff member
Just got my 10mm thru axle conversion kit for the rear and a new RaceFace Turbine front chain ring in. Hoping to install tonight and ride in the morning. The RF chainring is really nice and I am very interested to see if I notice any increase is read stiffness with the thru axle. The DT Swiss RWS and Hope 10mm kit was a bit pricy. If I had to do again I would have bought the Hadley Thru axle which is much cheaper than the DT Swiss.

My Azonic rear wheel was setup for 12mm thru axle. I just bought a step down axle with nuts on the end. It worked out great, it's just a minor inconvenience to carry a wrench with you if you want to be able to change a flat mid ride.

Is the new chain ring steel or alloy?