• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mad River Glenn over new years?

tnt1234

I can make it from NJ (near the Meadowlands) to my condo at Sugarbush in just under 5 hours if there's no traffic and good weather. I agree the extra 45 minutes or so to Stowe makes a big difference though. And coming from NJ it always took me a good 40-45 minutes longer to Stowe as well no matter what I tried.

Hm - yeah, so I'm about 30-40 minutes south of you, so sounds like it will be 5.5.

Just put in a VRBO request for a nice looking place...we'll see if we get it.

steamboat1

You guys are lucky. It takes me just under 5hrs. to get to Killington with no traffic going up either I-87 or Taconic Pkwy. If I were driving directly to Sugarbush or Stowe I'd take I-91 to I-89 which like I said is about the same drive time to either, about 6 hrs. Of course coming up I-87 or Taconic to Sugarbush would be the same time & Stowe would be longer.

tnt1234

You guys are lucky. It takes me just under 5hrs. to get to Killington with no traffic going up either I-87 or Taconic Pkwy. If I were driving directly to Sugarbush or Stowe I'd take I-91 to I-89 which like I said is about the same drive time to either, about 6 hrs. Of course coming up I-87 or Taconic to Sugarbush would be the same time & Stowe would be longer.

Yeah, don't be jealous. 287 in NJ can screw me up on any given day - especially true on weekdays.

91>89 is great, except for us, that means messing with the GWB.

Bottom line is, we should all move.

benski

Yeah, don't be jealous. 287 in NJ can screw me up on any given day - especially true on weekdays.

91>89 is great, except for us, that means messing with the GWB.

Bottom line is, we should all move.

We should all move to amherst like tin.

skifree

I-91 is gonna suck this winter.
Construction all over in Mass/south vt.

KustyTheKlown

i live in brooklyn. i tend to drive up to ski like a night bandit. get out of work, take an ambien and a whiskey. sleep by 7/8 PM. wake depending on my destination and departure time

4:30 AM departure - 9:00 AM Killington Arrival
3 AM departure - 9:00 AM Sugarbush/MRG Arrival
3 AM departure - 9:30 AM Stowe Arrival
2:30 AM departure - 9:00 AM Jay Peak arrival

i never sleep as well as i sleep when in a motel in vermont on saturday nights from december to april :p

when with my girlfriend or enough friends to be cost effective, we leave friday night. the traffic getting out of nyc metro is the pits.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I-91 is gonna suck this winter.
Construction all over in Mass/south vt.

More like it's sucked the past 4 or so years in VT from the world's slowest bridge construction in Brattleboro. How does the state of VT take so long on that bridge project...it's the main artery connecting VT to the tourist world. You'd think it'd get done quicker. In comparison the Waterbury I-84 project in CT is rebuilding multiple bridges (albeit shorter), adding a lane of travel in both directions, and straightening multiple miles of highway, and it will (supposedly) take only 6 years. No lane closures either (so far). Traffic is moving at the same painfully slow rate it always has with or without construction.

I haven't driven through Springfield since July, how's that megaclusterfudge going?

With all this considered I think I'll be taking Route 22 a lot more this winter.

KustyTheKlown

I do not envy you. I try not to push 5 hours travel per direction when I daytrip. Even if you're staying just Saturday night in VT it must be hell.

killington and south i'll day trip. anything further up i stay the night on saturday and ski sunday

i can be door to door to killington in 4 hours, mrg/sb in 5, stowe in 5.5, jay in 6. but that's if i drive in the middle of night, do 85ish the whole way, and don't stop to piss eat or gas up.

Tin

killington and south i'll day trip. anything further up i stay the night on saturday and ski sunday

i can be door to door to killington in 4 hours, mrg/sb in 5, stowe in 5.5, jay in 6. but that's if i drive in the middle of night, do 85ish the whole way, and don't stop to piss eat or gas up.

Ugh. that is rough. I got so sick of the driving and 8+ hours in the car when applying to my doctoral programs I made sure each place was closer than where I was.

KustyTheKlown

theres no place else i'd rather live on the east coast than brooklyn and the northern suburbs tho. if i were to move for skiing it would be the big move west. which likely wont happen for a number of reasons.

tnt1234

may I ask, how old are you?

I'm 48, and 3 hour each way to the catskills is a grind for me anymore.

cdskier

I can do 5 hours driving non-stop, but I wouldn't be able to get up at 3am to do it. I'll leave Friday after work (often I can get out early enough where I make it up to the MRV area in time to eat a late dinner up there). My day-trip limit is about 2.5-3 hours. I'm 34.

benski

Ugh. that is rough. I got so sick of the driving and 8+ hours in the car when applying to my doctoral programs I made sure each place was closer than where I was.

Is that why you arn't at Binghamton.