• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Speculation about MLK weekend storm....

jg17

Thinking I made the right call skipping today. Everything around here is slop, and we only got maybe 2" before the rain. Detachables are all on hold due to icing. Even up at Hunter, North and West sides are still on hold, and the Flyer was held until about 10:15. With cold temps rolling back in, everything will be a skating rink pretty soon.

Time to start looking towards (a hopefully slightly more viable...) next weekend and then heading west in two weeks...

drjeff

Mount Snow went over to sleet about 8:30, then back to snow about noon. Haven't looked at their official reported total yet, but 14-15 and counting I would estimate based on what I skied in all over the hill!!

Some "waves" from the drifting on Little Dipper in the pic belowMVIMG_20190120_115647305.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

Glenn

Ended up with a lot of ice here in CT. A little nervous about the wind that'll be rolling in this evening. I heard a few branches snapping when I was outside clearing snow.

Cornhead

Y'all can thank me later for leaving..
I'll thank you now, thanks! Greek got a foot. A little on the dense side. Good that it wasn't more of the same. I skied from 8:20-2:00, don't know how many runs, probably about 20. Twas good, especially early.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

medfordmike

Central NH at my house got about a foot. I hit the Skiway 9-1 since the trip to Pico would have taken too long and it looks like the Summit Quad was on hold. Sunapee also had holds. A little frozen precip mid morning but it didn't deter anybody. I like the Skiway on powder days since it is low key but today it was busy. Never had a line for the Holts double more than a chair or two until today. It moved but they were even grouping people at Winslow early on which is a first. They didn't open Holts until 11 so it was like repeating first tracks mid morning. Around lunch it started to settle out as people more evenly distributed themselves. Great morning and worth the slow crawl to get there from my weekend place.

ghughes20

Stratton had 11" as I went out the door at 8am. Like Mt. Snow, we also had some icy bits mixed in, not exactly sleet as it wasn't wet, but harder than snow. It started snowing again pretty hard around noon and is just now tapering off. I would guess we got 18" in total.

The powder this morning was strangely heavy, I guess due to the icy bits. The mountain was transformed by 11am and covered with soft bumps. No lift lines after 11am.

The Gondola opened late, but otherwise all lifts were running and the Summit was accessible by Ursa or Snow Bowl Lift at the start.

My legs are tired and I need a beer.

Zand

Booked a room in Warren tomorrow night. Sugarbush tomorrow and MRG Tuesday...looks like both got 18" today.

WWF-VT

A+ day today at Mt Ellen ! High of 10 degrees and it snowed until about 3 PM. My guess is 15-18" new snow, minimal lines and I hit some deep woods runs. At 4 PM the winds have picked up and the thermometer on my deck says it's 6 below zero.

HowieT2

A+ day today at Mt Ellen ! High of 10 degrees and it snowed until about 3 PM. My guess is 15-18" new snow, minimal lines and I hit some deep woods runs. At 4 PM the winds have picked up and the thermometer on my deck says it's 6 below zero.

Same at Lincoln peak. There was about a foot before I got to the mtn at 7:30 and it’s snowed steadily until I got back to the car at 2:30. Easily another 6” on the car. There is tons of snow everywhere on the mtn. I hit some low elevation woods on my way in for the day and it’s deep.

parahelia

Skied Sunday River today - report says 18” and that sounds about right. There was an hour or two of sleet in the afternoon before it switched back to snow.

Conditions were amazing everywhere - deep and not too heavy. Crowds were minimal, though I did have to wait a few minutes at Oz in late morning. No wind holds anywhere I went.

Tomorrow should be a great day in the woods!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kleetus

Gore was...EPIC today 22" of medium to light density pow. Good crowd but they spread out. Being the first-fifth set of tracks down many of the Burnt Ridge glades was a huge highlight

Sent from my SM-G892A using AlpineZone mobile app

gregnye

Magic was awesome today!! 17 inches and no lifts were on wind hold! It was crowded in line at the bottom, but the runs were not crowded (double chairs are the limiting factor). I was finding untracked snow even at 4pm!

Both the red chair and the green lift worked hard today. With an entirely full set of chairs the chair is surprisingly close to the ground!

ERJ-145CA

In NW Jersey about 10 minutes from Mountain Creek we got about 4" of snow followed by freezing rain. It never really warmed up like they were predicting so there was no regular rain. Currently 10 degrees and dropping so good snowmaking weather tonight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AlpineZone mobile app