• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tree runs at Stowe

skiboarder

I am going to Stowe Jan 5 and 6. I have heard of the tremendous variety of tree runs at Stowe. Where are they? Where are the trees tight and where are they further apart. I just bought some snowshoes, so mild to moderate hike to is cool. Thanks.

I am going to Stowe Jan 5 and 6. I have heard of the tremendous variety of tree runs at Stowe. Where are they? Where are the trees tight and where are they further apart. I just bought some snowshoes, so mild to moderate hike to is cool. Thanks.

I give you some obvious tree runs...the woods to the left and right of Chin-Clip..Woods left of Nosedive..woods between goat and Nosedive..woods between Hayride and Lookout..woods between Starr and Lookout..woods above the Chapel on Toll Road..No need to hike at Stowe..everything is liftserved except the Chin and you don't need snowshoes for that..

skiboarder

Yo Steeze, thanks a lot. I've been to Stowe a few times, but it had not snowed in a while. I'm psyched to check out these glades this weekend.

skicone

Don't miss the tree runs off the connector from Nosedive to the Gondola. There's a lot of room in there. Just folow the tracks. You should also look for the Bruce Trail. It won't be on a trail map but it is not a well kept secret.

skiboarder

Thanks Skicone. The Bruce Trail is in a book I picked up Sun. Backcountry Skiing Adventures, Vermont and New York, by David Goodman. Real cool book. That trail looks wicked cool!

ski220

The Bruce trail dumps out onto the flats of the Underhill x-c trail system. Not the best place for a snowboard.

Goat to goat woods and Lookout glades off the quad. If you want a short hike, the kitchen wall is right there and will dump you out back in the resort.

Don't mean to be a bummer but the temps. are suposed to be above 32 this weekend. The snow in the trees could get a little tricky, on the positive side, the ski packed sections should hold up well.

Last edited:

Trekchick

I wish I could tell you where these awesome tree runs are and what they're named. When I was at Stowe a few weeks ago I did quite a few tree runs that were named "follow me!"
Awesome! Enjoy and report back!

I thought the Bruce trail ends at the Stowe cross country center...anway you can get Apres ski drinks and food at the Matterhorn after skiing the Bruce

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I thought the Bruce trail ends at the Stowe cross country center...anway you can get Apres ski drinks and food at the Matterhorn after skiing the Bruce
You get dumped out on the cross country trails with a lot of flat sliding and occasional uphills back to the area, pending you take the correct turns at the splits. Good trail, heck of a long flat run out to get back (coming from someone that seeks out these types of things).

ski220

Absolutly correct! My bad. It was a late night posting and my brain fogged up somewhere on the Teardrop.

And you should definatly park a car at the Matterhorn for apre drinks at the end of the day. Don't worry about the turns, just follow the fall line and go striaght.

skiboarder

Ski220, thanks for the warming, err, warning on the temps. Sat would seem to be the better of the two days for the trees.

What's the kitchen wall?

If you traverse skiers right above Cliff Trail from the Gondola it leads you to the kitchen sink which is below very steep cliffs..The Kitchen Wall is above that..I didn't tell you this but the snow is often really deep in there.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Nose dive glades are easy. Tres is easy down low, jump in higheer up and there are some steep ledges to navigate. Other then that, a good rule is that the woods you will ski have the same pitch and character as the trails they are between. So woods off of sunrise above the chapel are easy, woods off of goat are not.