• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

X-mas warm-up....

drjeff

3816c93348002cd5fa77e6d79ac54282.jpg

Well you don't see this very often in the East!!!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Not quite getting your answer. In terms of Spring in Tucks this storm is good. Just don't go poking around for a bit. I am sure Wildcat if it can spin will be great and if it doesn't spin the skinners will be there.

drjeff

Not quite getting your answer. In terms of Spring in Tucks this storm is good. Just don't go poking around for a bit. I am sure Wildcat if it can spin will be great and if it doesn't spin the skinners will be there.

Snow gain in Tucks with this storm - yes. The issue, and likely could be one for a while to come, is as Puck it was alluding too, Tucks had a thaw/rain/freeze up even earlier this week. This snow that's going to fall and also blow into the bowl via the winds that will howl is going to create a mighty unstable snow pack for a while. This is the type of situation where potentially for weeks it could be an issue with avalanche risk, and if you get a big slide, well some of the bowl will ultimately end up with deep snow, but other parts could very well be back down to the iced layer currently there. So hopefully someone won't act stupidly and venture out into what are likely to be high avalanche danger conditions in not just tucks, but many open slide areas in the White's until the pack eventually stabilizes...... Hence the bad news side of this storm

These seem like common conditions to me for MW in winter. I was pointing out he was quoting and replying to a post and this storm is most definitely a gain for Wildcat and Tucks for the Spring.

Yupp some of those slide areas that look so tempting are more dangerous than a duck in a tent.

wtcobb

It will most certainly be a Tucks spring year - even last year I hit it on Easter Sunday.

Already we have a Considerable danger rating for today (low increasing to considerable as the storm moves through):

http://www.mountwashingtonavalanchecenter.org/

Hoping for good bonding to the existing ice layer. Likely it will be sketch for several days, but at the least the Sherb will be filled in nicely.

dlague

Well with the icing up and new snow that is probably not that sticky then throw wind into thee mix. Sticking to the ice more than likely will not happen very well. The fluffier the snow the more dangerous to ski on with ice underneath. I cannot imagine anyone going up there this early. Would coverage even be deep enough yet?

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

These seem like common conditions to me for MW in winter. I was pointing out he was quoting and replying to a post and this storm is most definitely a gain for Wildcat and Tucks for the Spring.

Yupp some of those slide areas that look so tempting are more dangerous than a duck in a tent.
Duck in a tent - I like that!

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

NYDB

Wish I could leave early ahead of the snow, but I'll have to travel early Friday morning. Thinking of Bolton Valley, or Magic, have Bohemia comps for both. Maybe stay overnight and hit both.

Sent from my R1 HD using AlpineZone mobile app

I would save the magic comp til later in the year. They literally had 0" base on many places on the mountain before this storm.

Cornhead

I'm staying home, NOAA was calling for up to 15" of LES between tonight and tomorrow. That's been downgraded. Appears to be the theme of the weekend so far.😥

Sent from my R1 HD using AlpineZone mobile app

4aprice

I expect it will be a warm (not necessarily blowtorch) for the holidays, little natural, but good snowmaking nights. Cold will be advertised for early January by the models 7 days out but won't actually show up till late January, so terrain expansion will be slow and people will have to stay away from the ledge. Then snow and probably some more numbing cold before finally settling in for a rather pleasant final 6 to 8 weeks of the season. In other words a typical northeast season.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Sticking with my forecast.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

4aprice

I expect it will be a warm (not necessarily blowtorch) for the holidays, little natural, but good snowmaking nights. Cold will be advertised for early January by the models 7 days out but won't actually show up till late January, so terrain expansion will be slow and people will have to stay away from the ledge. Then snow and probably some more numbing cold before finally settling in for a rather pleasant final 6 to 8 weeks of the season. In other words a typical northeast season.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Still sticking with this forecast.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ