• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

White Memorial, Morris, CT: 6/10/08

Greg

Staff member
Hit up White Memorial with bvibert for a bit over an hour this evening. Hot evenig with temps firmly in the 80's still and plenty of humidity. Felt great to work up a good sweat. Continuing to build wind, and I'm riding a bit faster. The mellow doubletrack of White Memorial is good for that. Brian busted a tire. Yeehaw!

bvibert

Staff member
Good times, nice way to end my birthday. :beer: The flat tire wasn't the best way to start the ride, but it wasn't a big deal. I think it showed Greg that it's a good idea to carry tire levers and a pump, so that was a positive. Can't wait to do it again sometime! :beer:

o3jeff

I should probably grab some repair items myself cause I am sure if something is going to happen it will be at the most inopportune time.

bvibert

Staff member
I've blown out two tires, both times I had all the stuff to fix it up in a few minutes. The first time I was pretty far out from my starting point and I would have been walking for quite a while if I wasn't able to fix it.

Greg

Staff member
I think it showed Greg that it's a good idea to carry tire levers and a pump, so that was a positive.

I have a pump and tube. Will pick up tire levers today, as well as a patch kit, chain tool and some quick-links.

wa-loaf

I have a pump and tube. Will pick up tire levers today, as well as a patch kit, chain tool and some quick-links.

The chain tool is a life saver and not many people carry them. I've had my chain break at least twice out on the trail.

MR. evil

I have been giving a lot of though to convert my bike over to tubeless. Everyone I know that runs a tubeless set up loves it. The best part is you can run much lower tire pressures and not worry about pinch flats

MR. evil

Good call on the quick links.... I have a chain tool but should pick up some of the links. Will make a chain repair that much easier.

Greg

Staff member
Brian also showed me how to dial back the release tension my SPDs which I hope will let me release out of the pedals easier and crash less on more technical stuff. Like skiing, riding with more experienced riders is a great way to learn quickly.

bvibert

Staff member
The best part is you can run much lower tire pressures and not worry about pinch flats

A pinch flat is what got me last night... I knew I should have run more pressure in the rear tire, but I don't like it too high on the HT.

MR. evil

A pinch flat is what got me last night... I knew I should have run more pressure in the rear tire, but I don't like it too high on the HT.

pinch flats sucks!

There are two ways to convert to tubeless (UST). One is to buy tubeless wheels and tires. This is the expensve route. The other is to convery your existing wheels & tires using Stans liquid. I know a bunch of guys that have gone this route and love it.
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/ZZ309A78-Stans+No+Tubes+Complete+System.aspx

bvibert

Staff member
pinch flats sucks!

There are two ways to convert to tubeless (UST). One is to buy tubeless wheels and tires. This is the expensve route. The other is to convery your existing wheels & tires using Stans liquid. I know a bunch of guys that have gone this route and love it.
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/ZZ309A78-Stans+No+Tubes+Complete+System.aspx

I always thought you had to use tubeless tires either way, interesting. I've never really given much thought to the idea, but if I keep getting pinch flats I might have to consider it.

o3jeff

I'll probably run out and pick some stuff up. Do different tubes really matter? are the Walmart ones as good as bike shop ones?

bvibert

Staff member
I'll probably run out and pick some stuff up. Do different tubes really matter? are the Walmart ones as good as bike shop ones?

I'm not sure, but I just buy them where ever I see them when I remember that I need a new one.

Greg

Staff member

Even brand name tubes are pretty cheap - like $6.

Jeff - you and I seem to be on the same path to MTB addiction... :lol:

MR. evil

If your not a weight wenie go to a bike shop (or online) and but tubes made for downhill racing. They have thicker walls, and are heavier than standard tubes.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Brian also showed me how to dial back the release tension my SPDs which I hope will let me release out of the pedals easier and crash less on more technical stuff. Like skiing, riding with more experienced riders is a great way to learn quickly.

A little off topic here...but

Wait until next ski season..You're going to love how biking makes you feel when you ski... :)

Also, if you're not falling, you're not riding tough enough terrain. :) Soon, you'll have no problem releasing..but you'll still be falling as you ride more and more difficult terrain.

Greg

Staff member
Oh Yes. If you're riding a lot, you'll probably take off a few lbs (not that you need to...just a side effect of biking) and obviously your legs will be that much stronger. You're cardio will be stronger you will be a lean mean bump skiing machine!

If I lose any weight, I'll blow away. :lol: