• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Storm Snow -VS- Existing Base

Huck_It_Baby

As I watch the snow fly out my window I'm still undecided about where to go skiing tomorrow. There are more factors than just who is getting the most snow of course.

Travel time, Winds, Crowds, Etc..

Currently my biggest concern is natural snow base in the glades. Is it better to stick to northern VT where the base is deeper than the Southern VT resorts, especially given the snow that Smuggs/Jay had this past week and that it's been snowing hard all day up here and should continue into the night?

2 Feet of snow on top of zero base is certainly skiable but it's not as good as it gets or anything. However 8-12 on top of 17+(?) in the north this past week(according to smuggs and jay websites) and a nice base is pretty rockin'.

I might be over thinking this but that's what happens on the eve of the biggest storm yet this season!

dmc

I'd go to a place with more than one aspect....

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
First off, you're definitely over thinking it.

Secondly, the snow in So VT, is going to be a higher H2O content, and is better for the woods than further north, where the ratios will be much higher.

fbrissette

I'm a Jay skier. 5 days ago, glades were unskiable. There is a reasonable hard base in the glades but certainly not 17 inches average. Much less than that at lower elevations, and the average means little in the steeper glades as there were bare spots all over. In other words, don't worry about the base, skiing will be fabulous pretty much everywhere. Hit your favorite place and drive safe.

I'm heading out now. Woohooo !!!!!

Huck_It_Baby

Secondly, the snow in So VT, is going to be a higher H2O content, and is better for the woods than further north, where the ratios will be much higher.

Yeah I tend to over think. I'm sure it's gonna be awesome everywhere. I haven't been down to So Vt since early season but from looking at trail counts and what's been open I just worry about a crappy base in the trees.

I guess I'll just drink a few beers and throw a dart in the map and go there!

Huck_It_Baby

I'm a Jay skier. 5 days ago, glades were unskiable. There is a reasonable hard base in the glades but certainly not 17 inches average. Much less than that at lower elevations, and the average means little in the steeper glades as there were bare spots all over. In other words, don't worry about the base, skiing will be fabulous pretty much everywhere. Hit your favorite place and drive safe.

I'm heading out now. Woohooo !!!!!

Boots on the ground nice! Thanks for the report. I was skinning low angle stuff near Jay last weekend and it wasn't amazing but still fresh snow and base above 2,000.

Enjoy your turns. I might hit Bolton in a little while for some night skiing.

AdironRider

You are seriously overthinking this. Pick a spot, go, you really cant go wrong.

fbrissette

I guess I'll just drink a few beers and throw a dart in the map and go there!

Hit a place with sheltered lifts. All upper lifts are closed today at Jay, and it will likely be the same tomorrow. On the other hand, awesome opportunities to earn your turns !

jrmagic

I
I dont think hes overthinking it as far as trees are concerned SoVt has effectively zero base in the woods so although there is more moisture as opposed to up north, they wilk need to pick up IMO significantly more inches to ski as well as say Smuggs.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Wherever you go, it will be epic. All we need is a foot-15in of snow for all glades to be skiable. All of Vermont and New Hampshire is getting at least a foot, so go where your heart desires.

Huck_It_Baby

Hit a place with sheltered lifts. All upper lifts are closed today at Jay, and it will likely be the same tomorrow. On the other hand, awesome opportunities to earn your turns !

I saw the lifts were down today. Who knows what the winds will bring tomorrow at all of the resorts. I will be packing my skins.

Huck_It_Baby

I dont think hes overthinking it as far as trees are concerned SoVt has effectively zero base in the woods so although there is more moisture as opposed to up north, they wilk need to pick up IMO significantly more inches to ski as well as say Smuggs.

Exactly my concern. Why drive further then I need to for phenomenal skiing tomorrow?

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I was kind of being sarcastic, saying he's over thinking, then posting a comment about moisture content.

Anyways, I'm not worried about glades in So VT at all. Magic posted a video with a patroller saying they'll likely be 100% open tomorrow.

bdfreetuna

Magic Ski Patrol on video today said Mtn will be 100% open tomorrow.

I agree a few inches on a base is better than a foot on nothing... But I think wherever you go will be great tomorrow or in the next several days.

I will ski woods with barely any snow happily my only problem is when they aren't open.

drjeff

Magic Ski Patrol on video today said Mtn will be 100% open tomorrow.

I agree a few inches on a base is better than a foot on nothing... But I think wherever you go will be great tomorrow or in the next several days.

I will ski woods with barely any snow happily my only problem is when they aren't open.

FYI- as of about 5:15PM as i'm posting this, So VT hasn't had as much snow as No VT today- Mount Snow today has had maybe 1-2" total, and the wind has started to blow pretty solidly the last few hours. I was on demo Blizzard Cochise's today and frankly even on a pair of skis that AREN'T mine I wasn't even considering any natural trails or trees today, there was just generally more visible grass + dirt + rock than snow on them today :eek:

This storm will help for sure but the way the wind is likely going to move the snow around there will still be places that will likely be blown all the way off to the ground. Just being honest!

Also both from what I saw on my drive North last night and what I've seen on the hill today and in the parking lots of various residencies and hotels here, lots of people "pre positioned" last night! It was close to a usual Saturday crowd today! Glad as a passholder, I get access to the Bluebird Express tomorrow AM 30 min before the general public does! FRESHIES!!!

jrmagic

I was kind of being sarcastic, saying he's over thinking, then posting a comment about moisture content.

Anyways, I'm not worried about glades in So VT at all. Magic posted a video with a patroller saying they'll likely be 100% open tomorrow.

On trail will be close.. Mark is awesome. Love the 1/4" on Wizard comment in the vid.

WWF-VT

Skied at Mt Ellen today. Most natural snow trails still closed as there was 6-8 inches of fluff on top of a thin base. Upper mountain very windblown. More snow still needed before woods are good to go - or look for where the snow has blown in

UVSHTSTRM

Wherever you go, it will be epic. All we need is a foot-15in of snow for all glades to be skiable. All of Vermont and New Hampshire is getting at least a foot, so go where your heart desires.

I would strongly disagree. A foot of snow on bare or nearly bare ground (dry snow at that) won't do much on high angle glades....well except hide a potential disaster. Also, what is up with the use of the word epic? 12-18" of snow is not Epic, especially for early February.