• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

21 and Older Pubs at Ski Areas During the Day?

VTKilarney

I think the confusion was due to a NH person and a VT person talking about their respective states, but the discussion started with a ski area in NH?
That could be. I assumed we were speaking about Vermont because of comments like these:
That is the case in VT, you can not bring outside alcohol into a bar.
Wrong. I worked at more than a few restaurants in VT over the years that had full liquor licences and patrons were allowed to bring in their own bottle for a corkage fee.
IIRC in Vermont, it was a licensing add on - think it was referred to as a B&B license.

I did some asking around, and nobody can remember BYOB being legal in VT for licensed establishments. Well... correction. One person who posts here who worked as a server, bartender, F&B manager etc. in Vermont from 1995 until 2007 thought that it may have been legal through a "licensing add-on". But that is it.

C-Rex

This is not about "world revolving around kids", it is about shutting down the only real restaurant at a ski area during "Skiing hours" to families. If I cannot sit down at a waited table at 2 pm at a ski area because I have some one under 21 with me - that's f'd up!

Using Jay Peak as an example - if they want to make the Tower Bar 21+ after 2:30 - fine. I can still go to Alice's Table, The Foundry, etc.

BTW, there is nothing you can say to my 12 year old that would offend him - he is the youngest of four boys and has heard plenty!

Fair enough. I've only been to Cannon once so I don't know much about it's eateries. It would be messed up if the only place to eat had that policy. And FWIW, just because you and your son aren't easily offended doesn't mean I can assume that no one is. I'm not even a loud mouth like that so it's really not an issue for me. However, I can appreciate an adults only environment in certain situations and don't think we should have to wait until after mountain hours to get it. I think everyone can agree that it's nice to be able to get away from them when we want to.

dlague

Fair enough. I've only been to Cannon once so I don't know much about it's eateries. It would be messed up if the only place to eat had that policy. And FWIW, just because you and your son aren't easily offended doesn't mean I can assume that no one is. I'm not even a loud mouth like that so it's really not an issue for me. However, I can appreciate an adults only environment in certain situations and don't think we should have to wait until after mountain hours to get it. I think everyone can agree that it's nice to be able to get away from them when we want to.

fair enough - some parents do not tolerate their kids being exposed to language and bad behavior, then again I know of several adults that do not appreciate it as well.

I get the escaping children concept and at resorts with multiple options that makes sense. Hell, even I want to get away from my own kids sometimes. Ski areas are odd places where many different groupings come together on common ground so most everything is a hybrid of adult groups, teenage groups, families, couples and individuals all over the resort. Just not sure how many places actually offer "during ski day" 21+ locations. Most resort offer a hybrid offering. Cannonball Pub was the first experience where I have ever encountered a 21+ situation at a ski area and it caught me off guard because it is the only sit down, wait served restaurant.

Smellytele

to help out VTK. I did find some info such as "states with complex laws, Arizona, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Vermont permit corkage only at establishments with no liquor license." from wine specator

SkiFanE

fair enough - some parents do not tolerate their kids being exposed to language and bad behavior, then again I know of several adults that do not appreciate it as well.

I get the escaping children concept and at resorts with multiple options that makes sense. Hell, even I want to get away from my own kids sometimes. Ski areas are odd places where many different groupings come together on common ground so most everything is a hybrid of adult groups, teenage groups, families, couples and individuals all over the resort. Just not sure how many places actually offer "during ski day" 21+ locations. Most resort offer a hybrid offering. Cannonball Pub was the first experience where I have ever encountered a 21+ situation at a ski area and it caught me off guard because it is the only sit down, wait served restaurant.

Personally...the only places I've seen that limit to 21+ during daylight hours are usually hovels with a tiny dark window and in a bad part of town...so I guess I think it's weird someone would want to have a 21+ experience during daylight hours, at a recreational venue. To each his own, but seems odd that it'd be an 'attraction'. After 4-5:00 seems fine to me. But I aslo can't get why anyone would want wait service at a ski area at 2pm either - I'm a skier, not a diner ;) Wait service at ski areas is always soooooooo effing slow and I'm always antsy to ski.

I like a beer at lunch, but I have kids. The two are not exclusive. Luckily we can enjoy kids and beer at same time. Since one of my "kids" will be 19 soon, I don't think of her as a kid...just not able to legally drink. But yet she would be relegated to the kiddy room... I'm not arguing...but I just don't get the desire to be ensconced in an adult drinking environment in the middle of a ski day...myself - I'd rather take a can of beer up a lift and enjoy my peace that way.

JimG.

Staff member
Is this really important?

I think I'd rather drink with the kids than beat this dead horse.

Hawkshot99

Not sure about NH - but in some states there are liquor laws where you can't bring outside booze into a venue where its sold - can potentially create issues with their overall liquor license :eek:

My buddy is the F&B Manager at a NH ski mtn. When he took over, the kiquor license was written in his name, so he is responsible for all alcohol on property.
He got into some problems with the ski patrol. At the end of the day many of them would drink quite heavy in their locker room. He needed this to stop, because if one of them drove home drunk and hurt someone he could be held liable for "allowing" it.
The patrollers were not happy because "they were always allowed in the past".

bobbutts

I drink plenty at other times, but I just don't find it appealing during my ski day. On a rare occasion I'll have one beer if it's an extended lunch break and lazy ski day with others, but I can take it or leave it for sure even then. Most days I'm out there getting dehydrated and concentrating, it's a terrible time for alcohol.

AdironRider

Telling patrollers not to drink apres. Yeah your buddy doesn't know how things operate round these parts. They already get paid shit, I think they can have a beer off the clock.

Also, for Cannon specifically, they have limited space and its pretty notorious for families with kids to just post up all day and order just a plate of fries.

For folks like me who want to have some brews after skiing till mid afternoon, I prefer not stepping over kids and families ski bags if not needed.

dlague

Personally...the only places I've seen that limit to 21+ during daylight hours are usually hovels with a tiny dark window and in a bad part of town...so I guess I think it's weird someone would want to have a 21+ experience during daylight hours, at a recreational venue. To each his own, but seems odd that it'd be an 'attraction'. After 4-5:00 seems fine to me. But I aslo can't get why anyone would want wait service at a ski area at 2pm either - I'm a skier, not a diner ;) Wait service at ski areas is always soooooooo effing slow and I'm always antsy to ski.

I like a beer at lunch, but I have kids. The two are not exclusive. Luckily we can enjoy kids and beer at same time. Since one of my "kids" will be 19 soon, I don't think of her as a kid...just not able to legally drink. But yet she would be relegated to the kiddy room... I'm not arguing...but I just don't get the desire to be ensconced in an adult drinking environment in the middle of a ski day...myself - I'd rather take a can of beer up a lift and enjoy my peace that way.

I like the beer on the lift idea - obviously others do too based on the can spottings that are clearly visible in the spring with PBR generally leading the count.